2015 Round 1- Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit - Nissan GT-R NISMO (GT Academy 2015).

• Thread starter numbnuts70
  • 468 comments
I've mentioned it before but I have a Driving Force Pro. My upshift paddle works when it wants to

I had a similar problem a few years ago, it would either not upshift or register twice. When I took the wheel apart, I noticed that pressing the paddle would hit the very edge of the corresponding button. Attaching a small piece of plastic onto the area of the paddle that contacted the button fixed the problem. It's odd that I haven't noticed a similar issue with the downshift paddle yet, it was only the upshift paddle acting up.

Do you quit and restart every time you turn on your PS3 and enter the first session? Or is it random sessions. This is a major factor for such a big competition.

Simply just leaving the GTA event and entering new. No need to start the PS3 new.

In response to the part I have bolded. Again, I never said anything before because I didn't know if it was just me and I didn't want to look like some fool, but now that you mention that specific mileage, I too have experienced just this. In several of the regular online Seasonal TT's, I have noticed big sudden improvements in the car and also in my times, right around the 200-250 mile rage. It was weird as I'd be going along and not even coming close to my ghost, then all of a sudden...bam, big improvement, always around the same mileage, 200-250 or a touch more. I can say I have noticed this behavior in about 6-8 Seasonal TT's so far. I would only notice this obviously in Seasonals that I put a lot of miles in. Now that other people are coming out and telling their stories that match mine, I don't feel so crazy. :lol: I really don't know what to think of this though, it is kinda weird. Let the conspiracy theories begin. :lol:
It is a fact. Before the comments about this, i always entered the track with this thought: "Let me see the grip today..."

I have always believed, no matter what the subject of competition is, that the competitor is only as good as his equipment. But, to contradict my beliefs, as far as GT goes anyways, I have seen players set top times with less than top-of-the-line equipment (DFGT or less) so yea, there goes that belief right out the window :lol:. Would really like some serious thoughts/opinions on this subject now that its been brought up. Thanks guys. :cheers:
Its like real racing. Sometimes it isnt all about equipment as much as execution and talent.

I haven't had any grip issues after i started to enter twice to the event when i start the game.

Looking at your lap times it really seems you don't have much trouble out there :D hehhe, insane times mate congrats :cheers:

For myself all I can say about this event is that it's so annoying (I suck at it lol) that it makes my head hurt :lol: hope we get something bit more accelerating for the next round 👍

After MANY, many hours thinking that I had run out of talent, or my new T300RS brake pedals were holding me back in a dramatic way, I was about to shut down the PS3 for the night last night...until I remembered a few posts about lowered grip levels and such. Closed the session, joined back up, and immediately hit a .3xx in the first sector, and, despite massively screwing up a few corners I was matched with my fastest.

2 laps later, with 3 distinctly plowed corners, I crossed the finish line 4/10 faster than my previous best. I don't know if I should be happy or disappointed.

Oddly haven't figured out the grip difference yet. Could it be the weather change? I do notice the track being cloudy then sunny each time you re enter. Also once when doing a 30 - 45 min run the weather changed suddenly from cloudy to bright sunny in game annoyingly... You know when your in the zone then **** gets bright all off a sudden. I say keep it cloudy we're in Britain :grumpy:

What's up guys me and some silverstone finalist and national finalist have a gt academy prep room open in open lobby fell free to join us

image.jpg

I always love the conversations about tech and think I'm quite well qualified to jump in a little :)!

- 2011: Qualified on a pad (Fastest pad worldwide I think? UK had 3 pad users very close to each other) and wheel (G25)
- 2012: Qualified on a wheel (DFGT)
- 2013: Qualified on a wheel (G27)

I honestly believe that if you want to qualify on any peripheral you can it just requires a little more hardwork or alot more on a pad depending on what you have :)! I also found that on the DFGT a softer brake actually helped a little with absolute brake precision (Although had to play with my foot at a weird angle to maximise that). But then the DFGT has weaknesses to, same with anything.

Now I have a setup which I can jump on whenever I want with dedicated TV and racing seat and yes I feel more comfortable playing as it doesn't move so it's the same everytime I go on (No tiny angle differences each time I setup) but don't feel that it helps me that much more than when I did it on the pad or my DFGT with a wheel stand and a random chair!

Just another note, I do miss the simple times of the pad occasionally haha :P!

Thanks for your input on this as well as everyone else's insights. Everyone's thoughts on this matter is greatly appreciated as I have always wondered about this outside of my own thoughts on the matter. I always thought in the back of my mind that consistency would be the main advantage with better equipment, but couldn't help but think there had to be time gains as well. At any rate, I myself will be going all out with the best equipment I can afford when I build my Xbox rig in a few months. :dopey: Thanks again for everyone's input, its greatly appreciated. :cheers:

Immortal is topping the leaderboard now, by a couple of hundredths.

Top 5

flag_de.png
TRL_IMMORTAL

2:04.557

flag_it.png
pirata666pirata

2:04.580

flag_au.png
CADEL-EVANS91

2:04.662

flag_es.png
migueel659444

2:04.667

flag_jp.png
Wolf_Aono

2:04.685

Someone actually got ahead of migueel? I thought I'd never see the day...

Not me. I knew that once Immortal put in any kind of effort, he would take over P1. Not only is he the best overall driver in GT imo, he absolutely hates to be beat therefore he will be relentless in his quest to achieve victory. No disrespect to the other drivers' talent, but Immortal is just on a whole different level as far as I'm concerned.

Is everyone aware of the following, which applies only to European players?

1.3 – To enter this Competition, each Entrant must:
(j) not have competed at a GT Academy Territory Finals (or equivalent or similar stages in any jurisdiction) in the 2013 and/or 2014 GT Academy competition

This has not passed without comment, with a number of people remarking both on GTPlanet and on Facebook, about what seems to be a bizarre decision. We reached out for an explanation of this stipulation and are pleased to report that official word has come back from GT Academy itself.

The first part of the justification is pretty easy to follow:

GT Academy is constantly trying to evolve its programme and in doing so offer opportunity to new talent. As a result we have taken the very difficult decision to no longer include 2013 and 2014 National European finalists beyond the online competition as we were seeing a number of the same faces at national final stage.

Is everyone aware of the following, which applies only to European players?

1.3 – To enter this Competition, each Entrant must:
(j) not have competed at a GT Academy Territory Finals (or equivalent or similar stages in any jurisdiction) in the 2013 and/or 2014 GT Academy competition

This has not passed without comment, with a number of people remarking both on GTPlanet and on Facebook, about what seems to be a bizarre decision. We reached out for an explanation of this stipulation and are pleased to report that official word has come back from GT Academy itself.

The first part of the justification is pretty easy to follow:

GT Academy is constantly trying to evolve its programme and in doing so offer opportunity to new talent. As a result we have taken the very difficult decision to no longer include 2013 and 2014 National European finalists beyond the online competition as we were seeing a number of the same faces at national final stage.
There is a separate thread for this topic in sub forum - GT Academy

There is a separate thread for this topic in sub forum - GT Academy
Thanks Iceman, I'm sure that's correct. Of course the reason I mentioned it here is because some of the best are European who would be racing here seemingly just for the brag status. Nothing wrong with that of course, most of us are doing exactly the same thing, especially in the Seasonals, but I only read about this a couple of days ago and wondered if everyone, Europeans especially, were aware of it.
IMMORTAL PILOT for one.

My measly 2:07.7 lap... with a cameo from @GTP_CargoRatt. :D

Ready for the race cars. haha

Damn, wish I was getting paid for all these cameo appearances I've been making lately. :lol: First Tidgney, now you. :lol: I'll send you my bill, please make checks payable to RattsNest Productions. :mischievous: :lol:

You must have just made this because I just set that new time only a few hours ago. :D After getting a good grip session, I improved almost a whole second in about 30 minutes. Funny but quite irritating how the grip levels work from session to session.:banghead:

Last edited:
Damn, wish I was getting paid for all these cameo appearances I've been making lately. :lol: First Tidgney, now you. :lol: I'll send you my bill, please make checks payable to RattsNest Productions. :mischievous: :lol:

You must have just made this because I just set that new time only a few hours ago. :D After getting a good grip session, I improved almost a whole second in about 30 minutes. Funny but quite irritating how the grip levels work from session to session.:banghead:

Grip levels vary session to session?

Wow I thought when I laid down the 7.7 I had eaten something funny for breakfast! haha

Grip levels vary session to session?

Wow I thought when I laid down the 7.7 I had eaten something funny for breakfast! haha

Yea, they apparently do. It was the topic of discussion in one of these threads.

BTW, looks like you have about a second to make up if you want that P1 spot on your friends list. :mischievous: :sly: :P :lol:

Yea, they apparently do. It was the topic of discussion in one of these threads.

BTW, looks like you have about a second to make up if you want that P1 spot on your friends list. :mischievous: :sly: :P :lol:

Nah, I'm done with this round... gotta save my energy for when it counts! ;)

I believe he is ineligible because of a racing license (karting??) he holds. Correct me if I'm wrong @IMMORTALPILOT , but that's what I thought I read somewhere.

big thanks guys i never want to use this handbrake i want to win without it and I'll never use it

Yes i have the international c kart license i have try to take part in the last 2 years but i was not allowed i will try again this year and contact him that he make an exception because i never have drive international big kart races like KF WSK or Rotax Euro Challenge

So, quite a long delay with this so apologies anyone who was waiting on it! I was also a little rusty but the message still comes across so worth a watch if you're still looking to improve!!
Corner Guides:

Turn 1 (Abbey): 1:50
Turn 2 (Farm): 3:20
Turn 3 (Village): 4:20
Turn 4/5 (Loop/Aintree): 6:05
Turn 6 (Brooklands): 7:55
Turn 7 (Luffield): 9:55
Turn 9 (Copse): 12:00
Turn 10-14 (Maggots, Becketts, Chapel): 13:55
Turn 15 (Stowe): 16:35
Turn 16/17/18 (Vale/Club): 17:45

Fast Commentary: 19:30

Also I think in the next one I'll add some background music and turn my voice up a little bit as it seems a little low. Any comments as always are welcome as mentioned early I was a little rusty with doing a big guide like this!

Any questions fire away as I'm about to answer the ones left on youtube now!
I've only watched your guide as far as Luffield and I'm .7xx quicker than my previous best first sector! I'm still like a gimp around Copse and Maggotts but will finish watching your guide tonight as the missus is at an awards do. Landed. :gtpflag:

Thanks for the help and advice @Tidgney, it's greatly appreciated.

PS. Immortal's lap just beggars belief!

Last edited:
Really respect the top drivers that refuse to use the handbrake 👍 I'm nowhere near their level to comment on this, but it just doesn't fit the spirit of the competition. The replays look so much better with smooth driving as well.

As an aside, does anyone know what happened to Ti-tech? I think he was the fastest player before IMMORTAL came along. And holl01 was the fastest player before Ti-tech back in the GT5P days. There was also a really fast Japanese player called Takeuchi01 if I remember. Can you imagine a battle royale between these 4 drivers? :drool:

Back