2016-17 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 522 comments
I want to deeply apologize, from the bottom of my french-german-blooded heart to @GTFan24, Munich, Germany, and Bayern for jinx the club last month :(. Honestly, those refs should be fired, lots of offsides being skipped and Casimiro not being expelled but Vidal yes (don't care if he's Chilean, he didn't deserve it) :banghead::banghead:. Only Barza left to complete the spanish triangle, again... So, VAMOS BARZA!! ;)

kjv7kip.jpg

It's funny how angry and aggressive people can get over everyday mistakes.

But you calling me bias is hilarious. I am a very objective person and I agree that Vidal should not have been sent off for that foul in which he did, but he should have alot earlier.

Yes, Casemiro probably should have been sent off too.

However, it does NOT matter how early in a game the tackle is. A yellow card foul deserves a yellow card, no matter when, to who, or where.

Also, Bayern got the softest penalty in history awarded, and Casemiro got nothing for an alot more clear foul later. Yeah, fair right? Nope.

But you obviously hate spanish football based on your reply so keep em coming. :lol:
You're clearly bias as you support Real and it's funny how you reiterate how Vidal should have been off earlier but can you justify the 2 offside goals? I guess not.

Casemiro made clear contact with Robben and not with the ball inside the box. So it was simple to give the pen.

How do I hate Spanish football? I probably know a lot more about Spanish football than you do and I'm only stating facts.

You're clearly bias as you support Real and it's funny how you reiterate how Vidal should have been off earlier but can you justify the 2 offside goals? I guess not.

Casemiro made clear contact with Robben and not with the ball inside the box. So it was simple to give the pen.

How do I hate Spanish football? I probably know a lot more about Spanish football than you do and I'm only stating facts.

Damn son, you have some anger issues.

Anyway, how can an analysis of one play favouring Bayern the entire game can make one a Real fanboy? He is not denying that Real was favoured, he is just saying that the ref had forgiven a second yellow card to Vidal earlier on, thus forgiving one to Casemiro. Unfourtunately for Vidal, a bad judgement from the ref had him sent off. As for one offside goal (Marcelo assist), Ronaldo was in fact offside, but a slight mispositon of the side ref could trick him.

I cannot reiterate further as I've not watched the game personally, I'm only basing my arguments on what as been said here and what my friend said, but I'm going to.

Also, just want to point out, besides Benfica, I don't support any other club. And I don't like Real that much, but I guess my analysis makes me a fanboy.

Damn son, you have some anger issues.

Anyway, how can an analysis of one play favouring Bayern the entire game can make one a Real fanboy? He is not denying that Real was favoured, he is just saying that the ref had forgiven a second yellow card to Vidal earlier on, thus forgiving one to Casemiro. Unfourtunately for Vidal, a bad judgement from the ref had him sent off. As for one offside goal (Marcelo assist), Ronaldo was in fact offside, but a slight mispositon of the side ref could trick him.

I cannot reiterate further as I've not watched the game personally, I'm only basing my arguments on what as been said here and what my friend said, but I'm going to.

Also, just want to point out, besides Benfica, I don't support any other club. And I don't like Real that much, but I guess my analysis makes me a fanboy.
He stated he was a Real fan in an earlier post. And yes I can read his post as you are just simply repeating what he said plus I did watch the game so I don't get the point you are trying to get across.

And you are basing your arguments on people's subjective views? So I'm not going to take anything serious about anything you post about the game because you can't give a neutral opinion on what happened.

He stated he was a Real fan in an earlier post. And yes I can read his post as you are just simply repeating what he said plus I did watch the game so I don't get the point you are trying to get across.

And you are basing your arguments on people's subjective views? So I'm not going to take anything serious about anything you post about the game because you can't give a neutral opinion on what happened.

The point I am trying to get across is the one that you shouldn't attack someone, despite being a Real fan or not.

The first offside goal was my opinion. But, anyway, I respect your decision, and that's why I'm watching the game as of now and I'll give my proper opinion with my factual arguments.

Great effort by Leicester but they were done after conceding that great header in the first half.

I switched over to the Real/Bayern game afterwards and had to see those extra time Ronaldo "goals." :crazy:

The point I am trying to get across is the one that you shouldn't attack someone, despite being a Real fan or not.

The first offside goal was my opinion. But, anyway, I respect your decision, and that's why I'm watching the game as of now and I'll give my proper opinion with my factual arguments.
Hardly an attack on someone and what do you expect in response when they say this:

But I guess everyone hates spanish football because they are so dominant.

Vidal's first yellow card was harsh as he got the booking only in the 6th minute where at these of stages of the tournament, the player would be issued a warning before a booking but Vidal went straight to the referee's booking

Well I guess a tackle from behind where he completly missed the ball isn't worth a yellow card. I've even seen red cards for similar tackles to be honest.

Anyway I've seen the 90 minutes. And that second yellow card to Vidal was ridiculous :lol: He should've seen the second card much earlier on, but not like that, that was an awful decision, because Casemiro should've been sent off as well, twice. But besides that the 90 minutes weren't that troublesome. I won't watch the ET because I've seen the images of the goals, and yes they are offside.

And I have to say, it was pretty good game, aside the poor ref.

Hardly an attack on someone and what do you expect in response when they say this

It seemed like it. Because it has some truth to it. They have the best players in the world right now, they have the best teams. Don't get me wrong I'd much rather watch british football (as I actually do) than spanish, but there is no denying they are just good. But everyone hates spanish teams because of UEFA, which I agree.

Monaco v Dortmund and Barcelona v Juventus is tonight......once everyone has calmed down.

I never justified any of the offside goals. I actually never commented about them before now.

The 1st offside goal was clear and blatant offside, no doubt. The 2nd was alot harder for the linesman to judge as Marcelo and Ronaldo was really close and the linesman was far behind. Offside yes, but very hard to call.

As stated in the rules of football, if a situation arise and the referee and/or linesman are in doubt, it should go in the attacking teams favor, no matter who, where or what.

And again, how am I clearly being bias when I objectively said that the referee did quite a few mistakes (both ways) and e.g Casemiro should been sent off too?

Also, Robbens soft penalty was never A CLEAR foul from Casemiro. Sure, there might have been slight contact but only Robben and a handful of other divers would have made that much out of it.

Casemiros shout for penalty was a much clearer foul from Boateng from what i've seen. But you don't see me crying to much about it. Even if it bothers me alot too. Everyone is just busy bashing the red card to care about the other highlights.

Hardly an attack on someone and what do you expect in response when they say this:
That was a figure of speech, but you don't seem to know the meaning of that.

You know nothing about spanish football it seems. You said:
So on to the topic about Spanish dominance. Yet Barca lost to Juventus 3-0, Leicester knocked out Sevilla who are 4th in the table whereas Leicester sit in 12th in the PL. And for Atletico, only marginally beating Leicester to proceed into the semi's. How is that dominance?
Then how do you explain that the spanish teams have been dominating european leagues and cups the last... 20 years or more. Sure, they haven't won ALL finals every year, but just the fact that Real have come to 6 semi finals in CL of the last 6 and won 2 (on top of Barcelonas wins and Atleticos achievements, and Sevillas good runs in the Europa League), and loads of other results show that spanish teams DO infact dominate european football, whether you like it or not. You obviously don't.

Looking up the facts it gets interesting. Since Champions League was renamed in '92, Real have won CL 5 times (11 in total), Barcelona 5 times (1 final loss), Atletico 2 times runners up and Valencia 2 times runners up. Then you have Barcelona winning the UEFA Cup Winners cup 4 times and Real Zaragoza 1 time.
Now, in Europa League Sevilla have been dominating and have won 5 times in 11 years (3 in a row just recently in 2014-16) and Atletico won twice in '10 and '12. Valencia also won it in '04, with other spanish teams as runners up in there. All this since '92. As a matter of fact, most of these achievements are from '00 and till today. So you say spanish football isn't dominating? :lol:
There are other european cup titles and Fifa Club World Cup stuff that I could mention, but I simply can't be bothered.

I am not gonna argue more with you as there will be no reasonable or interesting discussion with you.

Lets look forward to the upcoming games and of course hope that the referees are showing a higher level of... well... refereeing. :cheers:

Monaco v Dortmund and Barcelona v Juventus is tonight......once everyone has calmed down.
Very interesting games as Dortmund MUST attack and score at least 2 goals or more, and Barcelona needs 3 goals or more. Should be very entertaining. 👍

You know what? Im not even gonna make a joke about Barcelona at all since we ALL KNOW HOW THAT TURNED OUT THE LAST DAMN TIME I JOKED ABOUT THEM.

@girabyt3 FFS man cmon :(

You know nothing about spanish football it seems.
Do I not? But I guess you didn't grasp that I was stating in times of now hence why I mention the results of this years tournament. All the Spanish teams have been rumbled and look far from dominating compared to previous years.

Sevilla doesn't look the same without Emery and Sampaoli's recruits for this year have been questionable for example; Nasri, Ganso and Vietto but credit for signing Ben Yedder, Jovetic and Lenglet who had a decent season but still not the same threat as before when they had Gameiro and Krychowiak.

Barca have no doubt have one the best front three's in European football but behind them they do not have the best of midfields or defenders. Iniesta is slowly aging and starting to deteriorate in pace and physicality, Andre Gomes has been very timid and same applies to Turan and the only midfielders which I would class as their best at the moment would be Rakitic and Busquets. Defending options is a shambles, Pique and Jordi Alba are the only defenders which comes to World class while the most the others are still in development stage such as Mathieu, Umtiti, Digne and Vidal. That is probably the reason why they have crumbled against PSG and Juventus.

Real have World class in all areas but they by far haven't dominated anything in this season's CL. Drawing twice against Dortmund and had struggled in the games against Sporting in the group stages. Good performance against Napoli but Bayern had exposed them last night. Bayern had all of the momentum in the second and had pressed nearly all of the Real players in their own third for most of the second half plus it was 2-1 but of course it was mostly the referee's decisions which had dictated play into Real's favour which why they had the win. I still find it funny how you can think how it wasn't a pen, you can clearly see Casemiro leg cutting across Robben clipping his foot in the process and the ball had gone past him but that's where the Real bias comes in. For Casemiro's shout, the clear contact was made with the ball and Casemiro should have had a second booking for simulation.

Last edited:
Spain does indeed have two of the best teams in Europe. The remainder of the top 5 are like anybody else's, and the rest of the league is hilariously pointless.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Monaco in the final. They seem to be solid so far. Could be the dark horse of this year.

Sayonara Barca. Not the most exciting of games but Juventus's defence are tremendous not giving an inch of opportunity to Barca and surprisingly the ref had a good performance not giving into the classic antics of Barca.

Imagine if Juventus and Monaco meet in the semis or final. Breath-taking attack against the most miserly of defences. It would be like when Homer Simpson took up boxing, with his plan being taking so much punishment that his opponent eventually collapsed in a heap.

Imagine if Juventus and Monaco meet in the semis or final. Breath-taking attack against the most miserly of defences. It would be like when Homer Simpson took up boxing, with his plan being taking so much punishment that his opponent eventually collapsed in a heap.
Love the analogy. :lol:

Juventus-Monaco final would be a dream. But I would be content if one of those teams can make it into the final.

I can't see Monaco keeping hold of Mbappe for the foreseeable future, that lad is a live wire.

Edit: Monaco - Juve final really would be refreshing for the neutrals (Irresistible Force meets Immovable Object), another all-Madrid tie would be a bit deadening...

I can't see Monaco keeping hold of Mbappe for the foreseeable future, that lad is a live wire.
Monaco will probably give him a new contract with a astronomical buy out clause. But players like Lemar and Bernardo Silva should keep Monaco on their toes. Both of them have been a joy to watch and have certainly helped assist Mbappe to get to where he's at.

The right teams went teams went through tonight with little drama or dodgy ref calls, Congrats to both.

Juventus-Real final.

Another UEFA old boys wankfest. Can only hope for Atletico vs Monaco and even that's not great.

Back