2016-17 UEFA Champions League Thread

• Thread starter Brend
  • 522 comments
I think if anything they played too nervously, there was plenty of crucial errors from PSG, all over the park.

but to say PSG didn't put up a fight is wrong.

And to say that PSG put up a good fight is also wrong.

Paris were awful. They gave Barcelona every opportunity they needed. Even with that horrendously soft penalty for 5-1, and it was a typical 'continental' penalty to give, Paris had been woeful for the preceding 87 minutes or so and deserved to lose that game by the scoreline that they did.

I missed the game but this does sound similar to the last Super Bowl, although without the overtime/extra time. Being down 4-0 and coming back to win on aggregate is one thing, but doing it when you still need 3 more goals in the 87th minute is mind blowing.

From your guys' comments, it sounds like as good as Barcelona/New England are, they got a lot of help from PSG/Atlanta.

No they didn't.

They tried to stay back and defend a 4-0 lead against a very aggressive and in-form Barca team, and couldn't handle the task.

So they got whooped. Brutally.

Yeah, how anyone can talk about "putting up a fight" when relying solely on counter-attacks against a team that could barely bother to defend itself is beyond my grasp.

From your guys' comments, it sounds like as good as Barcelona/New England are, they got a lot of help from PSG/Atlanta.

Any smart team would have tried to incommodate Barcelona, whereas the game was playing almost exclusively 40mts from PSG's goal for the most part. So yes, it's PSG's fault, as a bit of agressiveness would have earned them the next round.

This is still unbelievable. What a collapse by PSG. Un-be-liev-able. That goal was only possible because Ter Stegen won the ball back in midfield and got fouled.

Here's Roberto's goal in all English, Arabic, Spanish, French, cat, alien, dinosaur commentary. Beautiful every time.

Last edited:
The Catalans are being royally spanked... short of a similar capitulation from PSG next time around, I don't see them making up that deficit.

Well... :lol:

Just saw the highlights myself, in my opinion both of Barcelona's penalty's looked rather dubious (Suarez especially) but PSG had the chances to wrap it up completely after Cavani's goal... credit Barca for bouncing back.

Funny how PSG's players were actually discussing if they'd be ok with losing 5-1 but qualifying.

Hilarious seeing it now.

Love Neygod

690.jpg

Love Neygod

690.jpg

What to say... Drogba's f@&$!*% disgrace 2.0
the number of game incidents that went against psg is just too high to be coincidental...
from the "no handball" call on Mascherano's sliding during the 1st half to Neymar's booking for an unsportsman-like conduct. The referee not giving a second yellow to Pique on his dangerous sliding tackle around the 41st minute is another big one. Much like what happened to Ramos facing Kashima in the Club world cup finals. The intervention of the penalty area referee on the 1st penalty kick granted to Neymar can be seen as an improvment but what was he doing on Neymar's low kick to Marquinhos off the ball and on tge Suarez dive that conned the ref into awarding the penalty of hope? Adding this to Mascherano sliding from the back on a shot arming Di Maria when the score was still 3-1 and the stage was set for the greatest travesty in years.
I'd be ashamed if I were a cule but I guess one can get used to rigged games...

Last edited:
Funny thing, complaining about referees. If Sergi hadn't scored on the last minute like he did, no one would talk about the referees. But since PSG, guess it's time to complain day and night about them.

Funny thing, complaining about referees. If Sergi hadn't scored on the last minute like he did, no one would talk about the referees. But since PSG, guess it's time to complain day and night about them.
Well if it wasn't for the dreadful decisions made by the ref, it wouldn't of led to it.

If PSG had played to win, they wouldn't have lost.
You can never say that for sure, because we will never know.

But at least they would have had a better chance.

Like the game in Paris, the best way to stand a chance against Barcelona is with high aggression and high pressure and play your own attacking game. Other, on paper, lesser teams has had great succcess against FCB with similar tactics.

If you stay back and just try to defend a game or a result, you will be run over by the Barca train. Again and again.

But it's easier to blame it on the ref.
Well, to be fair, the referee(s) had A GREAT DEAL to do with this game... He and his crew made some outrageous decisions which cost PSG alot.

Again, I am not saying the refs made PSG lose the game, but they most certainly helped alot.

You can never say that for sure, because we will never know.

Yep, it's a shame for PSG. But they will know better next time.

I'm not saying the ref was impeccable and had no incidence in the result, but that some people solely blame the ref really takes the focus away from how badly PSG played, and how well Barcelona played. All three were factors.

This is still unbelievable. What a collapse by PSG. Un-be-liev-able. That goal was only possible because Ter Stegen won the ball back in midfield and got fouled.

Here's Roberto's goal in all English, Arabic, Spanish, French, cat, alien, dinosaur commentary. Beautiful every time.

Nothing compared to my local-peruvian broadcast, there even was some swearing (that's why I will not show it here to avoid warning points but I will link it)!! :lol::lol:

Edit: Found this on YT. I've seen a few emotional commentaries, but this one takes the pole so far (In FC matches)!

Reminded me a lot of Peru-Argentina 2008 in 2010 WC qualifiers (best emotional commentaries ever) were all here went emotionally berserk for the last second tie ♥

Last edited:
Leicester v Sevilla tonight, its only 1-2 from the first leg so Leicester have a real chance.

PSG have complained to UEFA about refereeing mistakes made in the incredible Barca match.

PSG have complained to UEFA about refereeing mistakes made in the incredible Barca match.
Not specifically Champions League related but the video referee is poised to be introduced for the Confederations Cup this summer.

The letter that PSG posted to UEFA contained the ref mistakes and the exact time they were made!

Incredible performance from Leicester, fair play to the snakes, sorry, foxes.

Back