Formula 1 2016 F1 Constructor tech info/development thread. (READ 1ST POST)

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by LMSCorvetteGT2, Dec 12, 2015.

1. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

I must have missed that one.

I wonder if we'll see a Castrol-style livery, like the ones used by Honda in the WTCC and Toyota in the WRC ...

2. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

That may well depend on the outcome of the Dennis affair. He won't cut sponsor prices just to cover a car, his replacement might.

3. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Autosport are reporting that he'll leave next week.

But Dennis has been trying to move the business model away from title sponsors and B2B deals.

4. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

It looks like he might be nominally retained to the end of his current contract (Jan 2017) but yes, the writing is on the wall.

And on a High Court judgement too, it seems.

It's a shame in some ways - Ron Dennis is McLaren for many people. In other ways I have to wonder if his old-school never-give-quarter approach has just been too inflexible for the modern F1 situation that McLaren finds itself in.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  5. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Aaaand Ron is gone, he's announced his "resignation". The definite end of an era, if nothing else.

BBC.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  6. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

What? That doesn't sound like Ron. I was expecting that "all parties agreed to the premature termination of an existing contract on mutually agreeable terms as part of a long-term strategic overhaul and restructuring of operations to achieve synergy and verisimilitude".

DK, AbsoluteBarstool and TenEightyOne like this.
  7. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

8. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

With apologies to WH Auden:

"Perfection, of a kind, is what he was after
    And the language he invented was tricky to understand.
    He knew the McLaren boardroom like the back of his hand,
    And he was greatly interested in keeping Woking neat.
    When he laughed, champagne corks hit the rafters,
    And when he cried, the McLaren board voted with their feet."

Brown seems to have been nudged out of the heir apparent role by Chase Carey. But he's going to have his hands full running McLaren, since he's off consolidating motorsport print media under one roof.

Kingofweasles and TenEightyOne like this.
  9. SVT Cobra GT

SVT Cobra GT

10. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Brown has been confirmed, but not as a direct replacement for Dennis - rather, he's a step down in the hierarchy, on the same level as Jonathan Neale. David Croft is speculating that McLaren could get a radical overhaul in 2017, starting with the livery.

11. Pezzarinho17

Pezzarinho17

I'm going to miss the "dynamic, predatory, graphite-grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo 'Speedmarks' and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment".

12. AbsoluteBarstool

AbsoluteBarstool Premium

I'm sure that I saw that in Sniff Petrol somewhere...

13. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Keep waiting for you guys to put up the rumor that Allison will take over for Lowe at Mercedes...

I say this because among all this McLaren talk Allison has been linked to two places potentially and you guys are currently talking about one of them.

14. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Interesting comment during Abu Dhabi free practice on Sauber sticking with 2016 engines for 2017 - Ferrari are completely revising the engine for 2017, including the mounting points. Sauber, however, have already started developing their 2017 car, and don't think it's worth redesigning it to accommodate the 2017 engine.

15. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

I figured as I said prior with open regs...this was going to happen and it has.

TenEightyOne likes this.
  16. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Jost Capito is out, too. He only joined the team in September, but he was hired by Dennis, and so he's leaving.

Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't fit into the culture of McLaren. He was always a difficult character when he was running Volkswagen Motorsport.