2016 F1 Constructor tech info/development thread. (READ 1ST POST)Formula 1 

I know Ferrari are only testing a 2015 car with 2017 adapted parts, but I really hope next years cars look better and more aggressive than that.

Also have they widened the car itself? Aren't they going back up to 2m wide from 1.8m?

The parts only simulate the levels of downforce expected. It's like the rear wing Williams tried out in Barcelona I think it was. The new wings will fold backwards almost.

The parts only simulate the levels of downforce expected. It's like the rear wing Williams tried out in Barcelona I think it was. The new wings will fold backwards almost.

And they're running ground-effect skirts to mimic the lateral potential.

I know Ferrari are only testing a 2015 car with 2017 adapted parts, but I really hope next years cars look better and more aggressive than that.

Also have they widened the car itself? Aren't they going back up to 2m wide from 1.8m?

That car isn't all the modified, it's just current level rules being modified to fit the tires and try the level of downforce needed. The rear wing, dive boards, front wing, turning vanes...are not even the same as what is expected for 2017. This isn't something that should be looked at as what to expect in the future aside from the tires.

Thank god for that.

I know that Ferrari weren't trialling everything that would look drastically different bar the tyres, I do think the SF15T looked good in that set up, so my hopes for some good looking 2017 machinery will carry on.

Thank god for that.

I know that Ferrari weren't trialling everything that would look drastically different bar the tyres, I do think the SF15T looked good in that set up, so my hopes for some good looking 2017 machinery will carry on.

If you look at images in the 2015 thread of that same ferrari, you'll be hard pressed to find anything really different. The obvious thing being the go pro on the nose cone :sly:

As far as I know the car body itself isn't getting wider, only the floor. Seems pointless to me, that's a lot of floor with nothing on it.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fo...1/future-vision---the-f1-car--2017-style.html

image1.img.2048.medium.jpg

As far as I know the car body itself isn't getting wider, only the floor. Seems pointless to me, that's a lot of floor with nothing on it.

It's the underside of the floor doing the work though... that looks like it'll offer a much better offset to the wheel's turbulence.

How wide are they compared to the grooved tyres?
If I remember correctly, the slicks got slimmer compared to the grooved tyres. Right?

How wide are they compared to the grooved tyres?
If I remember correctly, the slicks got slimmer compared to the grooved tyres. Right?

I don't recall that I think 2009 to now has slight width increase as the cars started to deviate from the narrow track path they were put on in '98 up to that point.

Last edited:
I think the 2009 slicks had the same dimensions as the grooved tyres before them, with the only change I remember being a decrease in the front tyre width for the 2010 season.

Another thing that's important to keep in mind in is, once they bring in the Halo the cars will need to change again in a massive way as the airbox situation is not suitable for how the Halo is designed.

So we could get 2 wild years of car changes if the Halo isn't implemented untill 2018.

Surprised no one has posted this as yet.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-will-run-2016-spec-ferrari-engines-next-year-835714/

Talk about being over before it has even began. Think Torro Rosso have shown everyone already that this is not ideal. At least in the case of Toro Rosso they can make a great chassis rather than the moving ballast chicanes Sauber have been churning out for years now.
And with Toro Rosso going to a shiny new Renault engine next year, they'll be the only team in the field with a **** engine. Manor and Haas doing so well also means that Sauber are now doomed to the rear barring other things happening.

There have been rumours that they'd be interested in Formula E. In my opinion, that's all they can do that will keep them somewhat competitive. Currently, they're not going to gain any prize money and the costs of keeping the team running are going to bring them down.

I think, unless some miracle occurs, Sauber F1 will be dead by 2018.

There have been rumours that they'd be interested in Formula E. In my opinion, that's all they can do that will keep them somewhat competitive. Currently, they're not going to gain any prize money and the costs of keeping the team running are going to bring them down.

I think, unless some miracle occurs, Sauber F1 will be dead by 2018.
You're optimistic. I'll be amazed if they're on the grid next year.

Back