2016 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Ferrari finally showed some imagination on strategy - great reward for Vettel. Drive of the race?

MFW watching the last couple of laps

iTY3Gb1.jpg

Lewis did all he could, really. He was practically perfect since the engine failure, but Nico did all he needed to do as well. Motorsport is cruel, and it has claimed another victim.

People getting mad at Lewis trying to win the championship by holding up his teammate just proves people will get mad at him for anything. It's nothing that any other past champion wouldn't do. Same thing would garner praise if it were someone like Prost who did so, yet Lewis is arrogant and despicable.

Well done Rosberg for finally putting Hamilton in his place.
giphy.gif

I hope Toto hauls Lewis into his office for a long time after repeatedly disobeying team instruction. No wonder I find him selfish and arrogant.

For trying a last effort to make his team mate race for it if he wanted to gain the WDC for sure, or try to fend off those chasing. I don't get why some people dislike the guy so much that they're using this logic as a mask to push about their dislike. Just say it, "hey great job Rosberg, I can't stand Lewis, so glad you beat him!"

No one will fault you for that.

Come on guys. Lewis is clearly arrogant, selfish and putting his own interests above those of the team/never giving up and doing everything he possibly can to win the title.*

*Delete as applicable in accordance with which driver you hero worship.

Congratulations Nico Rosberg the new world champion!!!

Nothing to do with the race but everything after shows Hamilton has no class. He is of course gutted to lose but a shake of the hand costs nothing.

Congratulations, Nico. He showed he's champion material in his very first race, setting the fastest lap. For me, he really solidified that a few years where he could've won for Williams in Singapore two years in a row.

As a Hamilton fan, I'm disappointed but happy with the fight Hamilton put up right until the very last moments of the final race. Can't say there was anything wrong with his strategy. He was in the lead, the team already had the constructors championship in the bag and one of their drivers would win the championship regardless. As long as his disobedience didn't screw him up (like a certain Red Bull Racing Australia driver), he's all good.

Now bring on 2017!

If Lewis had tried to crash Rosberg out, then there would be every reason to be angry at him. Lewis had to try something to win the championship, and he did everything he could legitimately.

And even then, it only had a fairly outside chance of working. Once Vettel had passed Rosberg, Lewis would have had no say on the battle for third.

Lewis did all he could, really. He was practically perfect since the engine failure, but Nico did all he needed to do as well. Motorsport is cruel, and it has claimed another victim.

People getting mad at Lewis trying to win the championship by holding up his teammate just proves people will get mad at him for anything. It's nothing that any other past champion wouldn't do. Same thing would garner praise if it were someone like Prost who did so, yet Lewis is arrogant and despicable.
It really is odd to bash him because unlike in the past with drivers holding others up with questionable tactics HAM didn't even have to defend once. It's not like he weaved across the track or did some last minutes blocks. He just drove slowly and ROS did nothing about it.

If Lewis had tried to crash Rosberg out, then there would be every reason to be angry at him. Lewis had to try something to win the championship, and he did everything he could legitimately.
Exactly, driver's held in much higher regard by F1 fans in general have done far more questionable things when a title has been on the line.

Congratulations Nico Rosberg the new world champion!!!

Nothing to do with the race but everything after shows Hamilton has no class. He is of course gutted to lose but a shake of the hand costs nothing.

He just did that.

In retrospect, the same mechanical-out (like Lewis' Engine Failure) happened to Rosberg 2 years ago.
So kind of a fair move of faith.

Great end to the championship. Bernie will probably mandate next season that the leading driver has to back up the field every race......... :D

It still feels like Lewis lost this title rather than Nico won it, but hey that's motor racing - he did all he needed to do.

Also, totally called this in May:
I don't think he intended for Hamilton to have a race-ending crash - but nor do I think he'd have been particularly bothered if he had (which takes us back to the psychopathy of racing drivers).

I think he intended to slam the door on Hamilton so hard that there would be no doubt who is the championship leader and number 1 driver now.

And it's about time. Rosberg has never had that willingness to put his car in the way and Hamilton has been exploiting it. Since Spa in 2013, Rosberg has been the number 2 driver in his own head. With Hamilton's head elsewhere, Rosberg has built the lead and the confidence - and now he's driving like a champion.

I'm happy to see Nico finally win even though I cheer for Hamilton usually.

For trying a last effort to make his team mate race for it if he wanted to gain the WDC for sure, or try to fend off those chasing. I don't get why some people dislike the guy so much that they're using this logic as a mask to push about their dislike. Just say it, "hey great job Rosberg, I can't stand Lewis, so glad you beat him!"

No one will fault you for that.

I don't understand the hate either, especially when these paint drying sessions need all the help they can get to actually be interesting.

Back