2016 Formula 1 Großer Preis von Österreich

If I remember correctly, lots of people complained about the lack of discipline for going wide on tracks with huge runoffs. The tracks have tried different things to punish the drivers for going wide, now some are complaining :dunce:. What's their solution?

Great end to quali, well done to Jenson!

Should be an interesting race tomorrow...

Good job, Danny boy. You're sure to get that Red Bull seat back now
Pierre Gasly, the next link in the Red Bull driver programme, just threw away another easy win in GP2. He did it in Azerbaijan, and he's done it now in Austria, spinning under his own power in the wet. At least Kvyat can deliver results; Gasly hasn't won anything in two years.

Pierre Gasly, the next link in the Red Bull driver programme, just threw away another easy win in GP2. He did it in Azerbaijan, and he's done it now in Austria, spinning under his own power in the wet. At least Kvyat can deliver results; Gasly hasn't won anything in two years.

Red Bull do seem to have a problem in that regard. In the past they've had 2 or 3 great prospects ready for a TR seat at the expense of someone not given a lot of time to prove themselves. Currently though they've got nobody, just Gasly who is far from being hugely impressive as you say. Kvyat has made mistakes but I think he is currently still the best guy they have.

If he gets an offer elsewhere though, and Sainz could also move on, they're in a bit of poop. What would they have, Gasly and, er, Camara? Poach another driver and pretend he was their protege all along?

There isn't even really any driver they can conceivably give a second chance to. Vergne and Buemi both had their three seasons, Alguersari is retired.

My bet is Gasly, Sainz has already signed for Next year apparently.

So they would only take 1 driver, and what is the point of going out of your way to find better when your already overfilled with Talent.

Sainz will be forced out eventually as Redbull is no real option for the foreseeable future.

As has just been pointed out, he just threw away another easy victory.
He's leading a race - he's the first person to enter a corner which is much wetter than the lap before. It was inevitable. Hardly "throwing it away".

Great for Button but I think he'll be the first to admit he'll be heading backwards in a dry race.
After he's got as high as 2nd at the start unless Hamilton has learned how to launch recently.

Oh man Q3 was incredible, the closing moments with Hulkenburg constantly topping everyone just to be leap frogged each time was exciting. Great job to Hulkenburg for getting front row and for Button getting 2nd row.

Bo
He's leading a race - he's the first person to enter a corner which is much wetter than the lap before.
Except that the first corner wasn't much wetter than on the previous lap, and there was a backmarker just ahead of him.

Not sure what to think of the new yellow curbs. I agree with people saying track limits, but I'd go for a different solution. Putting halo's on cars for safety but then laying down curbstones that make suspensions brake is a bit off balanced...

But walls break suspension too... so the driver needs to stay on the track. You can only hit the sausage kerb if you're off the track, no?

In the eye of safety you don't make a pretty safe corner unsafe with curbstones. Well at least not in my eyes :P It's not like Monaco, or any other street circuit. Race cars on race circuits should be allowed to run wide now and then, we wouldn't have those curbs if the race directors show more strength by giving stop&go penalties or something.

They shouldn't be running wide at all if everything is going normally for them.

We had a freak accident cost someones life recently, if everything is going normally is not really a strong argument in the world of racing.

We had a freak accident cost someones life recently, if everything is going normally is not really a strong argument in the world of racing.
Nice keyword there.

So, again, tell me why these guys should be allowed to exceed track limits just because?

So you must have been racing on it at the time to know that it hadn't gained any more wetness?
No, I just use common sense.

If Gasly's mistake had been made by a backmarker, we'd all be writing it off as pure driver error. But because he's a front-runner and a Red Bull driver, he apparently gets the benefit of the doubt - even when he's got a history of making these mistakes.

Nice keyword there.

So, again, tell me why these guys should be allowed to exceed track limits just because?

Imagine what would've happened in a race scenario with Kvyat and other people driving close to him. There was nothing wrong with that corner, drivers exceeding track limits is everyday business. Show some strength with penalties and it's history, instead of making it more dangerous for everybody on the track.

Imagine what would've happened in a race scenario with Kvyat and other people driving close to him. There was nothing wrong with that corner, drivers exceeding track limits is everyday business. Show some strength with penalties and it's history, instead of making it more dangerous for everybody on the track.
I didn't see practice or qualifying if he crashed today, so I don't know what he did.

Drivers complaining about curb features that they shouldn't even be driving on in the first place is silly enough.

There was nothing wrong with that corner, drivers exceeding track limits is everyday business.
Except that it shouldn't be "everyday business". Drivers are supposed to race on the track. If they are outside the track limits, they are no longer on the track. In this case, they're doing it because they can get a faster lap time out of it, which they shouldn't be allowed to do.

I didn't see practice or qualifying if he crashed today, so I don't know what he did.
He ran wide at Rindtkurve - Turn 8 - and hit the yellow baguette kerbs on the outside of the corner. His right-rear suspension failed and he spun out, collecting the wall on inside of the final turn.

It also just happens when you're pushing the limit of what you can do lap after lap. It's an eventuality. To get a fast lap time you have to go the edge. To go the edge means risking going over. Going over shouldn't be that dangerous of a punishment to the car.

But walls break suspension too... so the driver needs to stay on the track. You can only hit the sausage kerb if you're off the track, no?

Then put walls there, a wall is a far more obvious object, the commentators jumping to the obvious visual link of logic is kind of funny to me. Of course they're not going to hit a wall cause that wont ever gain them time, but curbs are completely different story. Making stepped ones as they did is where the issue lies cause it gives the idea that drivers can use that area to go faster. Imposing limits works as they all acknowledged in interviews after these failures that they'd pay attention to that more so than the current.

To get a fast lap time you have to go the edge.
But not over the edge of the circuit. By your logic, the barricades inside the first chicane at Monza should be removed and drivers free to straightline the chicane, because that will let them set faster lap times, too.

The problem is the inconsistency in enforcing the rules. There should be a blanket ban on running over the track limits, albeit with an allowance for drivers making mistakes.

Back