2016 Formula 1 Großer Preis von Deutschland

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
The Hungarian Grand Prix was quite an anti-climax for a lot of fans, qualifying was an interesting and rather exciting spectacle with the rain and red flags. After the race, the rules of F1 dominate the talk, are they being applied regularly? Are they being applied with safety as their core aspect? Rosberg's pole position caused a lot of discussions amongst folks within the paddock as did Button's race radio communications. 1 week later we return to Hockenheim and Germany, there will be many drivers happy to return to this track and the German drivers will want to do well at their home race. I'm also pretty sure all of the F1 circus will want to put on a good show for the travelling fans after the recent attacks in German cities. Get ready for the return of the German Grand Prix.

hockenheimring.gif

HOCKENHEIMRING

FIRST GRAND PRIX

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
4.574KM (2.842 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
306.458kM (190.433 Miles)

LAP
RECORD

1:13.780 Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren, 2004

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Super-Soft, Soft & Medium

SKY SPORTS CLASSIC RACE SCHEDULE
Wednesday - Germany 2009
Thursday - Germany 2010
Sunday - Germany 2011

2014 RESULT

1 Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

2 Valtteri Bottas (Williams-Mercedes)

3 Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)

2014 Fastest lap - Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:19.908 (lap 53)

EDIT: Also for those of you taking part, don't forget to submit your picks in @LMSCorvetteGT2's fantasy F1 league. Here.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the opening press conference gonna be interesting with talks on the yellow flag ;D

As for the GP itself, it looks like it's gonna be dry. Hockenheim have plenty of place where you can overtake so spectacle should be a bit better than Hungary.

As for who's strong or not, I think we'll probably see a bit more the Williams ahead. I also think that Ferrari gonna be ahead of RBR as long as they dont mess up qualification like they did in Hungary.
I'm gonna say it. I prefer this layout of Hockenheim to the blast thrugh the trees.

Old Hockenheim being one of my favorite track, I prefer the old layout obviously. I'm getting used to the new one because of the number of laps I did on RRRE on it but it still doesnt really grow on me.

Last edited:
Rio Haryanto's seat is under threat, unless his backers can make good on their commitments - although he may get to race in Germany regardless (which makes sense, given the one-week turnaround from Budapest). Stoffel Vandoorne has been tipped as a potential replacement (as has Jordan King, which makes zero sense as he cannot get a superlicence until the end of the year).

I'm gonna say it. I prefer this layout of Hockenheim to the blast thrugh the trees.
I second that comment. The old Hockenheim was just a straight power circuit and pretty boring. At least the revised circuit kept all the interesting bits.

(as has Jordan King, which makes zero sense as he cannot get a superlicence until the end of the year).
He's done quite a few tests in the car, so he should have done the required km to get it.

Plus his dad is part-owner of the team. Since he took over, Jordan has always been the get out of jail card they can play if they are a driver short.I would prefer Vandoorne though. Vandoorne vs Wehrlein would be great to see.

He's done quite a few tests in the car, so he should have done the required km to get it.
I'm pretty sure that the new superlicence regulations require a certain number of points in addition to mileage; you can't get one on mileage alone.

I would prefer Vandoorne though.
Same. The talk of King taking over died pretty quickly once Vandoorne's name came up. Honestly, the talk of King taking the seat seemed to be fuelled mostly by the British media; speculation about Vandoorne seems to be substanted by paddock talk.

I'm pretty sure that the new superlicence regulations require a certain number of points in addition to mileage; you can't get one on mileage alone.

Same. The talk of King taking over died pretty quickly once Vandoorne's name came up. Honestly, the talk of King taking the seat seemed to be fuelled mostly by the British media; speculation about Vandoorne seems to be substanted by paddock talk.
King is always an option for Manor, but as soon as someone better suited is mentioned, pretty much everyone follows that train of thought.

King is always an option for Manor, but as soon as someone better suited is mentioned, pretty much everyone follows that train of thought.
I would like to think that Manor themselves are included in the definition of "pretty much everyone".

Old Hockinehim was great because it forced teams to think outside the box with setup, this doesn't really do that.

I was unaware that it doesn't now.
Different cars achieve their speed in different ways. A Mercedes win might be a foregone conclusion, but at least this way the likes of Red Bull and Ferrari stand a fighting chance. Otherwise, it would be Noah's Ark - Mercedes Mercedes, Williams Williams, Force India Force India and Manor Manor.

Different cars achieve their speed in different ways. A Mercedes win might be a foregone conclusion, but at least this way the likes of Red Bull and Ferrari stand a fighting chance. Otherwise, it would be Noah's Ark - Mercedes Mercedes, Williams Williams, Force India Force India and Manor Manor.
I highly doubt it, the stadium section requires down force that you can't afford to have,so a Manor being faster then a redbull wouldn't happen.

I highly doubt it, the stadium section requires down force that you can't afford to have,so a Manor being faster then a redbull wouldn't happen.
I was exaggerating to demonstrate my point - around the old Hockenheim layout, the Mercedes-powered cars would be so far ahead of everyone else that it wouldn't be funny.

Just like how Ferrari was 2nd fastest at Monza last year.
The gap between the Ferrari and the Mercedes is bigger this year than it was last year.

Everyone gets misty-eyed at the thought of the old Hockenheim. But if it still existed, we'd all be lamenting how dull it is. It was little more than a series of drag strips broken up by chicanes, with a short loop past the grandstands.

The gap between the Ferrari and the Mercedes is bigger this year than it was last year.

Everyone gets misty-eyed at the thought of the old Hockenheim. But if it still existed, we'd all be lamenting how dull it is. It was little more than a series of drag strips broken up by chicanes, with a short loop past the grandstands.
26ac33283bbc68f893b7ff7527b647e4.jpg

1996 Tyrell going for Thin rear tyres to reduce drag.

The track is unique as most of the track requires less then Monza aero whilst the stadium section required more downforce then anything in Monza.

Nearly all tracks these days are the same technical challenge.

You speak for yourself and no one else. :lol: I'd bulldoze the current layout. I liked the old one. It was different from other tracks then, and that is a good thing. Nevermind what passes for tracks now. 👎

1996 Tyrell going for Thin rear tyres to reduce drag.
And the 2016 cars probably produce more mechanical grip than the 1996 cars did aero grip, meaning that they can literally drive around the problem.

Once upon a time, corners like Eau Rouge were a challenge because you had to balance the throttle to carry as much speed through the corner as possible whilst still retaining control. These days, it's just flat out and has been for years.

And the 2016 cars probably produce more mechanical grip than the 1996 cars did aero grip, meaning that they can literally drive around the problem.
I'd hate to imagine how much of a handful that Tyrrell was to drive. :crazy:

I'd actually like to see a race around the old Hockenheim just to see how today's cars handle it. The use of DRS zones and the new turbo hybrid engines may mix things up a touch. I know it's never going to happen I just think it'd be interesting to see.

TBH, until he'd got those two sprint race wins in Austria and Silverstone, Jordan probbly felt the same as well.
Eh, those sprint race wins were nothing special. They were in relatively tricky conditions, but he only really got them because he started from reverse grid pole. He had reverse grid pole in Hungary, too, and Sirotkin made short work of him by sticking it down the inside at Turn 4, a move that is ordinarily pretty easy to defend against.

Ferrari has sacked Technical Director James Allison and replaced him with Mattia Binotto.

Ferrari has sacked Technical Director James Allison and replaced him with Mattia Binotto.
I'd say 'sacked' isn't really the right term here... considering what happened to his wife his priorities were always going to have changed though! Sounds like a return to Renault is possible...

I heard he left and it was a mutual decision, most probably the sad passing of his wife being the driving force behind it.

I think both layouts were/are crap. The old layout was interesting on premise, but because this is F1 it made no difference in the quality of the races. The revised layout looks a bit 'My First Track' than most circuits, there's no flow until the arena which already existed. I probably could have designed a better track when they rebuilt, and I was eight.

I don't think he was sacked... People were speculating for a while that he would say goodbye to F1 now that he's on his own taking care of his kids... A great mind lost, but family always comes before F1

I think both layouts were/are crap. The old layout was interesting on premise, but because this is F1 it made no difference in the quality of the races. The revised layout looks a bit 'My First Track' than most circuits, there's no flow until the arena which already existed. I probably could have designed a better track when they rebuilt, and I was eight.

The problem is that Tilke wasn't given much time to get it done. 2001 was run on the old circuit and the new circuit had to be ready for the 2002 race but obviously the bulldozers didn't turn up on the Monday. By the time funding had been secured he only had months to get the new circuit designed, passed, and built. That meant the track had to be a safe design, nothing outlandish that may take too long or not be up to standard in time. He also didn't have a great deal of space, he wasn't allowed to use any of the forest section at all and they wanted to increase capacity, so more spectator areas. Hence, what we got.

Back