2016 Formula 1 United States Grand PrixFormula 1 

We should start spreading the word to make someone like Palmer DOTD for the rest of the season. Then they'll notice something's fishy.

Damn did we have this system when Maldonado was still around? Sounds like a missed opportunity :lol:

Can't wait to see "shoey" for the rest of Daniboys career.

And what made this race so difficult for Lewis today? (we won't come to an agreement here, won't we?)

I think it's more how you measure difficulty. Lewis has to deal with different type of stress. While being in front you can't go as fast as you want till the tire grip drops, you have to drive much more carefully to maintain a certain gap. It's sometimes easier to hunt someone down. The feeling you just can't make any mistake or your teammate will walk away with the championship doesn't help either. Of course Lewis could practice this perfectly last few years but this year is not really going his way.

It happens rarely in F1 but in lower classes you see the leader now and then make a stupid mistake while having a huge lead. This is sometimes pressure, sometimes lack of concentration. Driving in front can chill you down so much you start making mistakes.

Or when driving in the rain, we're on the same tires so I know I can go just as fast when following you. When I pass I need to be just that little bit faster in conditions you're no were near your usual limit, I can't imagine anything more difficult than that on track.

Until Lewis speaks about it we can only guess how difficult his race was.

I just did some maths. This would be the points numbers if Hamilton gets 1st and Rosberg gets 2nd the next two races.

ROS - 331 > 349 > 357
HAM - 304 > 330 > 355

So even if Hamilton wins the next two and Rosberg does nothing wrong, the championship is still Rosbergs going into the last race. So then I did some what-ifs. This is for the last race.

If Rosberg gets 1st, it's over no matter what Hamilton finishes. If Rosberg is 2nd, he has 375 points and Hamilton has to come in 1st to win with 380. Assuming a non-Mercedes gets 1st, same thing, Hamilton has to get 2nd giving him 383 and Rosberg in 3rd would be 372.

Basically it's a steep hill for Hamilton to climb. He has to do what he did today three more times. Rosberg did it at the end of last year but it didn't matter at that point. Hamilton is now the underdog. I want to see him come back because that's cool but I want Rosberg to win the title.

Max needs to pull his head in, compromised himself with his pit error and compromised his teammate by choosing to park his car outside of a run-off area. Amateur stuff.

compromised his teammate by choosing to park his car outside of a run-off area. Amateur stuff.
He said that the team told him to continue if he could, but it became apparent that he couldn't make it. When he pulled over, the marshalls pressed the button to ground the ERS, but it failed; that meant a lengthy recovery time, hence the VSC. If the grounding had worked, the car could have been recovered sooner and the VSC would have been unnecessary.

I think it highlights the problem with the VSC being able to drastically change the outcome of the race more than anything to do with Verstappens shortcomings.

I just did some maths. This would be the points numbers if Hamilton gets 1st and Rosberg gets 2nd the next two races.

ROS - 331 > 349 > 357
HAM - 304 > 330 > 355

So even if Hamilton wins the next two and Rosberg does nothing wrong, the championship is still Rosbergs going into the last race. So then I did some what-ifs. This is for the last race.

If Rosberg gets 1st, it's over no matter what Hamilton finishes. If Rosberg is 2nd, he has 375 points and Hamilton has to come in 1st to win with 380. Assuming a non-Mercedes gets 1st, same thing, Hamilton has to get 2nd giving him 383 and Rosberg in 3rd would be 372.

Basically it's a steep hill for Hamilton to climb. He has to do what he did today three more times. Rosberg did it at the end of last year but it didn't matter at that point. Hamilton is now the underdog. I want to see him come back because that's cool but I want Rosberg to win the title.

That would be 367 not 357. If Rosberg gets 2nd in the next 3 races, he wins. I think Rosberg would have to finish fourth in one race or third in two for Hamilton to win. That is assuming no retirements or major problems.

edit: Hamilton is at 305 now.

So if Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi he has 380. Rosberg in 3rd would have 382. 4th place would be 379 and Hamilton wins by 1 point. It seems so weird with the points per position being so far apart (not just 1-2-3-4-5, etc.) that the gap at the end is so small.

Hamilton has to win all three, and hope that Rosberg gets 2nd in two and 4th in one. Basically, Hamilton will go from 305 to 380 and Rosberg is at 331 right now. So however he does it, he needs to get 50 points in the next four races to win by 1 point.

I think it highlights the problem with the VSC being able to drastically change the outcome of the race more than anything to do with Verstappens shortcomings.
I think VSC should be used as a prologue to the full deployment of the safety car.

Safety Cars, real or virtual can mess with races and strategy with or without pit stops. I don't really have a problem either way, I think people are making it a bigger issue than it is. Whats the difference if someone pits then a lap later a safety car comes out and other drivers can't pit? The driver before the safety car on pure luck just gained a full free pit stop, is that any more fair? The only way to solve it entirely would be remove pit stops?

I don't honestly feel that the outcome would have been any different today. The thing it changed was that Nico/Ric pass happened sooner in the race and denied the audience an on track battle.

Max needs to pull his head in, compromised himself with his pit error and compromised his teammate by choosing to park his car outside of a run-off area. Amateur stuff.

He admitted his pitstop error immediately which is a good response. His team decided that he had to try to drive further with his engine failure. This was not Max his decision. Now he listened to his superiors for first time and see what the consequences are. Listen to several debrief interviews of both Max and his teammanagers.

Max 'driver of the day'. Ridiculous! Strange voting system. But at least the Dutch showed they can be 'big' in supportive behavior ;)

Ooh and that fly by was also (our complete) Royal Dutch Airforce. haha. small boss is watching us

He said that the team told him to continue if he could, but it became apparent that he couldn't make it. When he pulled over, the marshalls pressed the button to ground the ERS, but it failed; that meant a lengthy recovery time, hence the VSC. If the grounding had worked, the car could have been recovered sooner and the VSC would have been unnecessary.

That is unfortunate - though I'm glad it wasn't as simple as Max choosing a poor location to pull over.

So if Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi he has 380. Rosberg in 3rd would have 382. 4th place would be 379 and Hamilton wins by 1 point. It seems so weird with the points per position being so far apart (not just 1-2-3-4-5, etc.) that the gap at the end is so small.

Hamilton has to win all three, and hope that Rosberg gets 2nd in two and 4th in one. Basically, Hamilton will go from 305 to 380 and Rosberg is at 331 right now. So however he does it, he needs to get 50 points in the next four races to win by 1 point.

Hamilton needs a Rosberg retirement, if Nico wins in Mexico it's all but over, he'd probably win it with a race to spare then.

That is unfortunate - though I'm glad it wasn't as simple as Max choosing a poor location to pull over.
You could clearly see him and the marshalls standing over the car pushing down on the monocoque forward of the cockpit; that was their attempts to ground the ERS.

I think VSC should be used as a prologue to the full deployment of the safety car.

I agree.

---

This race once again highlighted what a quality driver Fernando Alonso is. It's such a waste this latter quarter of his career has turned out the way it has.

I would have three safety cars, one that can be deployed for each sector. That way, they can get the safety car in and out as quickly as possible. There's nothing more frustrating than a prolonged safety car period - how many times have we seen a safety car out for two or three laps longer than is necessary?

I missed the race yesterday as I was invited out for dinner and drinks with a friend who's mate had just arrived from the US - I was close to making up an excuse so that I could stay home and watch the race as planned, with a nice juicy steak and a bottle of wine, but I decided against it in favour of being hospitable - turns out it was a good choice, and we had a really nice evening... and, my mate gave me a lift home and I got back 5 minutes before the extended highlights came on TV. Unfortunately I was struggling to stay awake, partly because I was tired and had had a few beers, but also because the race was pretty boring - unless I missed something exciting, which is quite likely as I think I was asleep for about 90% of it... what did I miss?!

what did I miss?!

Alonso, Texas Ranger showing how great he is and shouting "YEEHAW!" on the radio after his final overtake towards the end of the race. Solid points for him.

Räikkönen's car stopped on the pit exit up the hill after a botched pit stop and he let it roll backwards into the pit lane, off the exit line. He didn't do it under his own power so it wasn't a black flag situation. I think.

Hamilton needs a Rosberg retirement, if Nico wins in Mexico it's all but over, he'd probably win it with a race to spare then.

If Nico finishes 3rd in a race (like he could have done in Texas), then who knows, but a win for Nico in any of the 3 remaining races would pretty much seal it. He's been solid this year, but if he needs to do something in the final race, even if that's just finishing 2nd, then that's pressure on him.

If he takes two second places and a third, he should still be champion - he'd win by virtue of having won the most Grands Prix.
Rosberg would win by 2 pts if that were the case... if Rosberg takes one second place and two thirds, however, Lewis would win the WDC by 1 pt...

That wasn't grounding the ERS, that was a Neutral button failure. I experienced the exact same problem with a GP2 car at Silverstone this year, where the Neutral button wouldn't put the car into Neutral. The VSC had been deployed before Max was even out of the car, so it would have been a lot shorter if the button had worked.

You joke sir. The Safety Car's day is done.

I would have three safety cars, one that can be deployed for each sector. That way, they can get the safety car in and out as quickly as possible. There's nothing more frustrating than a prolonged safety car period - how many times have we seen a safety car out for two or three laps longer than is necessary?

Now I know you joke.

If he takes two second places and a third, he should still be champion - he'd win by virtue of having won the most Grands Prix.

Presuming Hamilton wins them three races, small number of engines notwithstanding, he'd have 10 to Rosberg's 9.

I didn't watch this race. Was it any good?

I think there are too many races in a season. So much has happened so far this year but they were pretty much neck and neck and now when there's only 4 races left (including yesterday) each race actually has meaning. It's like the first 16 races were for nothing. In general, the last races of a season will have more an impact, but when the season is so long the start really has no impact at all. If the amount of races was shortened, there's a greater emphasis on each race, no?

Back