2016 GTP Awards - Most Opinionated Member

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 205 comments

Who deserves to win GTPlanet's Most Opinionated Member award for 2016?

• Danoff

Votes: 27 13.3%
  • homeforsummer

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Imari

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • prisonermonkeys

Votes: 95 46.8%
  • RESHIRAM5

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Sanji Himura

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Tornado

Votes: 19 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

I brought enough for everyone!

I don't see why being opinionated is such a bad thing. We all have opinions, some of us are just more outspoken than others. Fair enough.

But complaining about being nominated for three pages? *whistles* All it takes is a simple PM to @DQuaN, saying something like "I don't wish to be nominated; could a please be removed from the list?"

As others have stated, this means absolutly nothing. It's just a little "contest" for who did what in 2016. Next year, the categories, and nominees will mostly all be different. Pat yourself on the back, shrug it off, what ever. Dare I quote Linkin Park here, but "in the end, it doesn't even matter."

But, that's just my opinion.

When I first saw this thread and posted that I did not want to be a part of it, I had fifteen votes. I now have forty, despite my repeated insistence that I was uncomfortable with the poll.
Were you able to see that information without voting first?

prisonermonkeys
When I first saw this thread and posted that I did not want to be a part of it, I had fifteen votes. I now have forty
Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't get it. You throw in an insincere random vote on somebody just to be able to see your own number of votes received despite you mentioning you want no part. That's not nice towards whoever you mock voted for. I can agree though that a member should perhaps have the right to be removed from the poll if he or she wishes so.

For the record, I have asked @DQuaN to remove me from this poll and any other award that I have been nominated for (although strangely enough, I got the notification from @Famine). I have never participated in the GTP Awards, and I never will. I have seen the concept used at other forums, where it quickly degenerated into a popularity contest or an opportunity mudslinging. While GTP is considerably better-run than other forums, it doesn't change the way that the whole idea just makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Awards are just something people vote on, if there was an F1 award for driver most likely to crash in 2015 and Maldonado won do you think anyone would care if he says he refuses to be part of this, it's not in his control. People should have the ability to have an opinion about someone.

Besides everyone is under a username, no one from my knowledge is getting defamed here, it's just a forum where people who mostly who don't know each other talk about subjects they have interests in, under an anonymous name.

and Yes I voted for you.

I understand where @prisonermonkeys is coming from. The thought of being judged online can be more of a serious issue than some of the bandwagoning in this thread might suggest - especially if said person perhaps is aiming to be someone that might not be opinionated. From time to time I can get seriously insecure about how and what I post online. People I talk with often can tell you I can get very anxious and worried about being annoying to them simply for messaging them multiple times in a row.

It's a bit of a shame everyone had to dogpile on the poor guy for simply - and politely - asking to be removed. People are acting like he demanded to be taken off or something...

SVX
I understand where @prisonermonkeys is coming from. The thought of being judged online can be more of a serious issue than some of the bandwagoning in this thread might suggest - especially if said person perhaps is aiming to be someone that might not be opinionated. From time to time I can get seriously insecure about how and what I post online. People I talk with often can tell you I can get very anxious and worried about being annoying to them simply for messaging them multiple times in a row.

It's a bit of a shame everyone had to dogpile on the poor guy for simply - and politely - asking to be removed. People are acting like he demanded to be taken off or something...
If it was something like the Darwin Award, I would understand but this is to see who has the biggest opinion, which isn't a bad title, in fact it is quite meaningless and rather forgetful.

It started out as a disagreement of him wanting to be removed because they don;t understand, the dogpile happened because @prisonermonkeys then decided to go on a political like movement (even threatening that this could be the last awards).

SVX

Meanwhile I've been judged here for a long time and I'm not complaining.

Just saying.

Wait, you actually thought I could do that?

I didn't think that I could get away with that one.
No, not really, but the fact it was on there still counts.

However, I'm guessing by this and your post before that, you've just been trolling us the whole time for more votes?

No, not really, but the fact it was on there still counts.

However, I'm guessing by this and your post before that, you've just been trolling us the whole time for more votes?

There's a fable about this. It's called the little girl who cried cheese, or something like that. Little girl trolls the village that cheese is coming to eat her biscuits, villagers get annoyed with little girl being a BS artist, and proceed to sit around with marshmallows when the girl finally gets squashed by an ambitious piece of camembert.

There's funny, and then there's someone attempting to legitimately uphold a complaint for 4 pages. Poe's Law and all, I've seen weirder things on the internet, especially from prisonermonkeys. I get that the AUP tends to get disregarded for stuff that is amusing, and that's as it should be. If we can't lie in the name of humour then the world becomes a darker place. But at some point it just becomes straight up trolling, and I'd suggest that the point is well before four pages. A handful of posts would probably be the limit, at best.

But clearly the mods are in on the joke, so far be it for me to judge.

Meanwhile I've been judged here for a long time and I'm not complaining.

Just saying.

I wouldn't say constant comments belittling GTP as "not complaining', but hey ho.

There's a fable about this. It's called the little girl who cried cheese, or something like that. Little girl trolls the village that cheese is coming to eat her biscuits, villagers get annoyed with little girl being a BS artist, and proceed to sit around with marshmallows when the girl finally gets squashed by an ambitious piece of camembert.

There's funny, and then there's someone attempting to legitimately uphold a complaint for 4 pages. Poe's Law and all, I've seen weirder things on the internet, especially from prisonermonkeys. I get that the AUP tends to get disregarded for stuff that is amusing, and that's as it should be. If we can't lie in the name of humour then the world becomes a darker place. But at some point it just becomes straight up trolling, and I'd suggest that the point is well before four pages. A handful of posts would probably be the limit, at best.

But clearly the mods are in on the joke, so far be it for me to judge.
Kinda defeats the purpose of an Opinionated member of the year, if someone exploited the system with trolling. Defeats the purpose of the winner being what people think is the most opinionated member if the person was just trolling people for votes.

I enjoyed it.
Less so when I wasn't sure if it wad a joke or serious but without that period of doubt, the joke wouldn't have worked.

Now that it's confirmed, I'm retrospectively enjoying it.

I enjoyed it.
Less so when I wasn't sure if it wad a joke or serious but without that period of doubt, the joke wouldn't have worked.

Now that it's confirmed, I'm retrospectively enjoying it.
It is kinda funny though would've been more suited for funniest member.

It is kinda funny though would've been more suited for funniest member.
The whole awards thing is just a bit of light hearted fun anyway, as several people pointed out to prisonermonkeys earlier.

But at some point it just becomes straight up trolling, and I'd suggest that the point is well before four pages.
I wouldn't call it trolling. Digital sleight of hand, maybe. But then again, maybe that's just giving myself too much credit. The point is that it was far easier to get people to believe it than I thought it would be, so I decided to see how far I could take it and it quickly took on a life of its own. The argument that it was harassment. The insistence that I hadn't taken part in the GTP Awards before and the multiple references to my posting history which would prove it to be a lie. The half-dozen other threads that I have posted in today - including the meta-humour in my caption contest entry - where there wasn't a trace of a temper tantrum. The way my story kept changing. The obvious references to having voted despite my insistence that I wasn't taking part. The implied claim that I could get the GTP Awards shut down. I just wanted to see how far I could take it, but there were half a dozen times when I was sure I would get found out (and to @peobryant's credit, he spotted it straight away; I just didn't spot his post). In the end, all I had to do was show just enough of my usual self - the guy who just won't let go - and dozens of people willingly ignored everything they knew about me because they wanted to believe what I was posting.

Of course, maybe I'm trolling you now. Maybe everything I posted today is genuine and I am just trying to deflect the embarrassment away by pretending the whole thing was a joke retroactively. No doubt there are some people who will think exactly that. But let me ask you this: if I am deflecting now to skirt the embarrassment of a very public meltdown, how do we know that somebody claiming that I am deflecting isn't deflecting themselves to avoid admitting that they fell for it?

I'll call Christopher Nolan and option the film rights to this thread.

You think I didn't try that? It was the first thing I did. And it was ignored.

It wasn't ignored. Its being discussed internally. I'm not the sole person behind the awards any more and even if I was, I can't edit polls anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back