2016 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

One has to wonder, if Ferrari were plagued with powertrain issues in testing like Haas, how that would help them prepare. Because the 1000km less than Mercedes always had me worried for Ferrari. Especially when they decided to move the position of their intercooler and go more tight in the rear.
It's going to haunt them all year I think.

How was that "poor show"? Button retired due to ERS failure and Vandoorne, on debut no less, finished 10th.
Reliability still seems an iffy point and that's what worries me mostly. Definitely better than what we seen last year though. :lol:

I really do think Button has to worry about that McLaren seat next year on the back of Vandoorne's performance. He has managed to do something pretty exceptional with that car.

I really do think Button has to worry about that McLaren seat next year on the back of Vandoorne's performance. He has managed to do something pretty exceptional with that car.

Agreed. Button hasn't done much of anything since his year he won the WDC. And even then it really wasn't because of his driving ability.

Agreed. Button hasn't done much of anything since his year he won the WDC. And even then it really wasn't because of his driving ability.

He did great 2011, and many think if he had the car he'd have won that WDC. Many say it was his best year.

But since 2012 the McLaren hasn't been anything to be happy about.

Yeah lets be honest, that Brawn was borderline illegal for half the season. Apart from some small moments of brilliance like Canada he hasn't achieved much since and it really does appear that his heart isn't in the sport anymore.

Um, why have we got Pharrell Williams' music video intertwined with C4's out-tro? Can't they afford to put a proper one together? :lol: The BBC was brilliant at that stuff.

Yeah lets be honest, that Brawn was borderline illegal for half the season. Apart from some small moments of brilliance like Canada he hasn't achieved much and it really does appear that his heart isn't in the sport anymore.

I dont believe that, it's hard to be happy when you are with a group that is known for being the best and hasn't been close to it in years. Same stuff people spew about Alonso not wanting it. But really how are you suppose to show happiness when you put in 100% and the teams doesn't reciprocate it, it would seem? Or the Engine supplier who had so much time to do this, seems to not being getting it right even though they claim they're on it?

Jenson has been dealing with crap cars from McLaren longer than Alonso, but Alonso thought this would surely be his Mercedes. Either way it's two WDC drivers being squandered.

Um, why have we got Pharrell Williams' music video intertwined with C4's out-tro? Can't they afford to put a proper one together? :lol: The BBC was brilliant at that stuff.

Sky out-tro song was good.

Fit the theme of the race I feel

Button should retire next year from F1, McLaren should then give Vandoorne the seat, and Button should join the WEC.

Yeah lets be honest, that Brawn was borderline illegal for half the season. Apart from some small moments of brilliance like Canada he hasn't achieved much since and it really does appear that his heart isn't in the sport anymore.

In 2010 everyone wrote Jenson off at the start, said he would get crushed by Hamilton. He won 2 races to Hamilton's 3 and was just behind him overall. 2011 the McLaren was nowhere near the Red Bull yet Button finished 2nd in the championship, ahead of Lewis. 2012 they likewise weren't quite good enough to take a title but Jenson was pretty level with Hamilton all year and took three wins.

2013 is when things really went downhill for McLaren but Jenson still had a solid season and beat new boy Perez. Solid points finshes all year in a car that couldn't do much better. 2014 again a poor car but what do you know, Jenson got the most out of it and dominated Magnusson. Last year we know he was in a dog of a car and there really wasn't much to judge.

I actually do think he'll retire at the end of the year but based on the cars he has had at his disposal I really don't think he has underperformed at all.

I dont believe that, it's hard to be happy when you are with a group that is known for being the best and hasn't been close to it in years. Same stuff people spew about Alonso not wanting it. But really how are you suppose to show happiness when you put in 100% and the teams doesn't reciprocate it, it would seem? Or the Engine supplier who had so much time to do this, seems to not being getting it right even though they claim they're on it?

Jenson has been dealing with crap cars from McLaren longer than Alonso, but Alonso thought this would surely be his Mercedes. Either way it's two WDC drivers being squandered.

Yes they are being squandered but I also feel they are not getting the most out of a bad situation either. Two world champions should be able to conjure up something better than a rookie in the same machine and even with McLaren the way it is I would have expected better point’s hauls over the past few years than they have achieved.

Vandoorne's performance has shown that something can be done with that car (and maybe if he had the chance even last years car). I have seen Button plenty of times in the past few years finish outside the points in machines which could realistically get at least some points. Put Vettel in this car for example and you would get better results, I'm sure of it.

Sky out-tro song was good.

Fit the theme of the race I feel

The original version is also the theme to the mesmerising YSL Black Opium Advert.

Last edited:
That was a great race with action all round. Shame there was no Vettel and Bottas and Lewis collided else we would have had quite a battle up front too. The Ferraris can definitely challenge the Mercs on race pace, but they need to sort out their reliability. Honorable mention to Vandoorne for debut points, the McLaren isn't exactly slow, but still has some gremlins. The Force India is awful though it seems, even slower than Sauber today. Props for Welhrein for his showing in the Manor, that kid is going places.

Still can't pass the Haas!

Yes they are being squandered but I also feel they are not getting the most out of a bad situation either. Two world champions should be able to conjure up something better than a rookie in the same machine and even with McLaren the way it is I would have expected better point’s hauls over the past few years than they have achieved.

Vandoorne's performance has shown that something can be done with that car (and maybe if he had the chance even last years car). I have seen Button plenty of times in the past few years finish outside the points in machines would could realistically get at least some points. Put Vettel in this car for example and you would get better results, I'm sure of it.

Yeah and so did Jenson's times in Q2 and before the ERS failure. We know Vandoorne is good and with such excitement to jump in the car he's probably not looking at it from the same perspective. He's just going out there to drive the wheels off, where Jenson or Alonso know more of what can go wrong and are just trying to think what they need to do. Nothing against Vandoorne, but I feel Jenson or Alonso could do this or more if they didn't have such horrid luck every time they suit up.

We don't know what Alonso could conjure up, obviously. And really neither do we from Button besides the small glimmers of hope before his car broke down.

I wouldn't at all expect better points hauls since the end of the V8 era for them. Not until Honda get more situated.

Vandoorne's performance has shown that something can be done with that car (and maybe if he had the chance even last years car). I have seen Button plenty of times in the past few years finish outside the points in machines which could realistically get at least some points. Put Vettel in this car for example and you would get better results, I'm sure of it.

The original version is also the theme to the mesmerising YSL Black Opium Advert.

I don't think you can compare Button and Vandoorne in a race that Button didn't finish due to something out of his control. Before he retired, Button was running a solid pace, ahead of Vandoorne.

Also, you don't know whether Vandoorne would have gotten any more out of the car in Australia than either Button or Alonso did. Don't forget this was a track Vandoorne knows well. He might not be as strong on tracks new to him.

Would love it if Mclaren don't score any more points and their only points comes from Stoffel.
Would be hilarious......... well will induce slight giggle atleast.

I think Button should have gone to the WEC this season but anyone who thinks he's passed it has a very selective memory indeed. :lol:

He's matched or beat every teammate he's had at McLaren.
Button hasn't really been particularly impressive in some time though. Beating Perez and a rookie Magnussen isn't exactly something to be credited for, it's an expectation. I lost respect for Button when he blamed McLaren's lack of pace in 2014 on Magnussens inexperience.

When Button is at his best you get incredible drives like Canada 2011, but since then he's been neither elite nor mediocre and more willing to place blame when things go wrong anywhere but on himself.

Button hasn't really been particularly impressive in some time though. Beating Perez and a rookie Magnussen isn't exactly something to be credited for, it's an expectation. I lost respect for Button when he blamed McLaren's lack of pace in 2014 on Magnussens inexperience.

When Button is at his best you get incredible drives like Canada 2011, but since then he's been neither elite nor mediocre and more willing to place blame when things go wrong anywhere but on himself.

He hasn't had a "particularly impressive" car in that time either. I take it Alonso should retire as well. He must be past it as well mustn't he? It can't be the car can it....

There is always some people that link talent is linked to the car like it's a mystery when some years the driver can't do good.

Either way i would be really surprised if this wasn't Buttons last year, it's unlikely he will ever get a car that can be capable of winning again and with the likes of Vandoorne likely to take your seat anyway it's time to move on.

I don't think you can compare Button and Vandoorne in a race that Button didn't finish due to something out of his control. Before he retired, Button was running a solid pace, ahead of Vandoorne.

But I kind of have a feeling that even though he was ahead of Vandoorne at the time it somehow would end up going south later on. Button regularly manages to convert respectable mid race mid field positions into a outside the points finishes. He always seem to loose pace near the end of a race... maybe it's a fatigue thing.

Just watched the race. Seems to me this could be Rosberg's year to lose because he is doing an amazing job so far. I also love the starts so far this year, they seem to shuffle the field pretty well and move the fastest drivers back a bit which makes the rest of the race exciting.

Great drive from Vandoorne, congrats to him for points.

Lastly, hell ya more points for HAAS. MURICA 🤬 YEAH

Edit: What a classy podium, love to see the top finishers getting along.👍

Also in Pre-Race Hamilton was wearing traditional clothing to the region (not sure of proper names) and he rocked it. Hopefully when he comes to texas he rides a horse and wears chaps :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Also in Pre-Race Hamilton was wearing traditional clothing to the region (not sure of proper names) and he rocked it. Hopefully when he comes to texas he rides a horse and wears chaps :lol::lol::lol:

Lewis of Arabia! It does totally suit him!

03_03130131_53adc7_2777108a.jpg

Yeah, I do wonder if this will turn into a regular thing for him, dressing in the national attire. :sly:

Whoever decided to allow three compounds of tyre at a race was a genius. Rather then being stuck to maybe a maximum of three different strategies, teams can try anything. There was racing throughout the field between different teams, and it was great fun.

Just fix quali and F1 is actually looking really good this season.

Absolutely astonishing for Grosjean to get 5th in the Haas car. My expectations at the beginning of the season was for Haas to just be at the pace of the backmarkers, amazing.

And, good for Mclaren Honda to get a top 10 and a Manor in 13th!

Absolutely astonishing for Grosjean to get 5th in the Haas car. My expectations at the beginning of the season was for Haas to just be at the pace of the backmarkers, amazing.

And, good for Mclaren Honda to get a top 10 and a Manor in 13th!
Haas has taught me to not listen to everything Ted Kravitz says pre season. According to him Haas were going to be languishing in the back, and Manor were going to be faster than McLaren.

Back