2016 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Quali is going to be hilarious to watch, but I'm especially excited that IndyCar and F1 will be happening in the same night in the US, so I literally don't have to move once 9:00 rolls around.

Quali is going to be hilarious to watch, but I'm especially excited that IndyCar and F1 will be happening in the same night in the US, so I literally don't have to move once 9:00 rolls around.
And V8SC, and isn't FE LBC this weekend too?

Part of the allocated reserve numbers for the teams, right?
Yes. Jolyon Palmer choosing #30 - which was a reserve number in 2015 - changed the allocations. As far as I know, the allocations look like this:

Red Bull - 15, 16
Mercedes - 23, 24
Ferrari - 31, 32
Force India - 34, 35
Sauber - 36, 37
Toro Rosso - 38, 39
Williams - 40, 41
Renault - 42, 43
Manor - 45, 46
McLaren - 47, 48
Haas - 48, 50

As Vandoorne was drafted in by default, he didn't get to pick his number - unlike Rossi, who was employed on a more permanent basis.

What's the betting the teams protest in quali? All go out for the first run and then sit in the pits until time runs out, without any attempt at another run.

I don't think a protest would actually benefit them. First of all they still need to think of the sports image and the fans, boycotting it might make some die-hards happy but it's going to do even more negative damage overall if they boycott it. Secondly it would just encourage the FIA to keep it even longer and tell them to do it properly.

They're pretty confident even if they do it properly it will still fail, so it's really in their best interest to just do it, have it naturally fail again and hopefully be enough to convince Mr I Run The Show, Jean Todt, to decide to go back. He's made it clear he holds the power, if they go back it's because he puts that on the table, not because the teams decide it.

Wasn't it because Force India Rejected the old format they had to continue with the same one.

No, as @IforceV8 pretty much says, they had two options.

New-style Quali 1+2 with old-style Quali 3, or remain with the "Melbourne" format. All-old-style wasn't an option to the apparent surprise of the team principals.

Haryanto vs Vandoorne, just like in GP2 2015 Bahrain race, should be interesting :) Vandoorne won the feature race while Haryanto won the sprint race back then. Hopefully both will be in top ten :D

Is it fairly obvious that this week will again be a battle for 3rd?

Mercs miles ahead of the field, again.
Ferrari having reliability issues, again.
Haas having front wing structural issues, again.
Sauber, Renault/Lotus and Marussia bringing up the rear, again.

Ugh... Same poop, different toilet.

Spoiler alert: He won't.

But that's okay, he's only about a couple thousand kilometers short of 2016 car and tyre experience compared to Button.

He did double-race-distance at the 2016 tyre test though and went fastest of all on them. I'm not sure he'll be as far off as you think.

Button still a ways down, but that P3 was interesting. Shows the car does have the pace. I have a feeling Rosberg was absolutely flat out on his fastest lap (which incidentally is the fastest lap since 2006 I think?), as was Button. As for the rest, if that sort of pace is anything to go by I would say that Ferrari will take P3 as thier highest, then a fight between Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso; I think P8 is possible for McLaren, but we will have a better picture after FP3

Went karting a couple of times at Flanders indoor karting in Kortrijk being West-flemish myself. Nice to see a young lad from my region that learned the tricks of the trade there will be racing in F1 this weekend
thumbs_up.png

Latest Posts

Back