2016 Le Mans 24 Hours - 15th to 19th June 2016

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Furinkazen, Apr 30, 2016.

1. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

I'll be on the other side and say that I loved the Ford GT livery :lol:
    In my opinion this is one of the best looking Le Mans fields ever, especially in GT Pro. The Risi Competizione Ferarri looks absolutely beautiful in the full red design, while there is of course the Corvettes and Porsches who always look great. I really wish the Aston Martins performed as well as they looked because they're the best of the bunch in my opinion.

2. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

As much as I agree that a classic paint scheme would have been cool, We all know the real reason Ford ran the paint scheme they did.

Hint: It starts with an E and is on damn near every Ford car that races.

Vinylshark likes this.
  3. TDZdave

TDZdave

4. TheBook

TheBook Premium

23 hours and 56 minutes, and it blew a charge pipe off the intercooler. Hell of a way to lose a race.

Organ-Donor, DK, TwinTurbo LM and 6 others like this.
  5. Robin

Robin Premium

6. Clark

Clark Premium

I thought Ford missed a trick with the liveries to be honest. The GT40 won four times so why not run each of the four GTE cars with the corresponding years winning livery?

7. Holdenhsvgtsr

Holdenhsvgtsr

Bet next year that thing will be push clipped, jubilee clipped, gorilla taped and cable tied on worse than a 50 shade of grey remake.

8. Solo

Solo Premium

Took a few of my friends along to this for their first time to Le Mans and they are fully in love with the event now. It was the first time they'd seen this style of racing. We were stood on the start finish straight for the last hour and the heartbreak in the stands was something to behold.

My album from the weekend:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskyKoZmT

TwinTurbo LM and Roo like this.
  9. IforceV8

IforceV8

10. SiriusR

SiriusR

Not gonna happen unless Gulf Racing buys one.

11. TheElbows

TheElbows

So, when do we start the 2017 LeMans thread?

+Will Audi ditch or return and try to retake the throne?
    +Will Toyota manage to be competitive again, or will this shock Porsche/Audi into overdrive?
    +Will GT teams change to beat the Ford GT (assume it gets BOP'ed to reality)
    +Won't there be new LMP2 style cars next year with the DPI etc. crossover builds?

Already going to be an interesting one. :D

12. LongbowX

LongbowX

I agree. I've seen some tribute livery examples on the street car. Why not the 1966 classic schemes, to celebrate the 50th year (the first 2 images...they could put their Ecoboost livery on the 4th car)?

cfb15c23753107.56328472d5ef9.jpg fe5b1a23753107.56328470af2f2.jpg 70807c23753107.563284733478d.jpg 8cdc0023753107.56328472dd185.jpg

Full examples: https://www.behance.net/gallery/23753107/2017-Ford-GT-66-69-24h-Le-Mans-livery-tribute

13. brocktj4

brocktj4

Those liveries look great on the road car, however I don't think they really fit the race car.

SiriusR likes this.
  14. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    catamount39 likes this.
  15. SiriusR

SiriusR

Oh, God... Did they really think that just placing a livery from an old car on a new one without adjusting it to the new car's shape is a good idea?
    Poorly executed/10

16. Mike458

Mike458

17. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I like the fact they didn't go with a throwback scheme as I feel they have been played out. Having said that, surely they could have come up with something far better considering the only real sponsor is Ford themselves.

SiriusR likes this.
  18. Mike458

Mike458

19. McLaren

McLaren Premium

On the topic of the retro liveries for the Ford's, I will agree it'd be cool to see the '66 ones out there again. Don't think the Gulf ones would possible, though. Gulf Racing says they have 4 different cars running their livery, but I think all 4 cars are also under different classes/racing leagues as well.

Would seem like a "conflict of interest" if the Fords were running Gulf liveries while Gulf Racing had nothing to do with them.

LMSCorvetteGT2 and SiriusR like this.
  20. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

All these questions have been answered. Audi developed this F1 LMP to race this year and next year, but as RLM said they probably should have kept last years R18 instead considering it would have easily won the race based on the times shown.

Toyota is the only question I cant solidify, but supposedly they're already ahead of schedule for 2017, and even ran 2017 gear so considering their pace this year, I feel the bar has been set for next year.

GT is always this way it seems, someone has a story to be told and this class always gets the most controversy for it. This time it was Ford vs Ferrari and that's what we got, next year it will be more realistic. This was the case when Aston one year was given everything and people complained, the next year the field was more balanced. That is how GT goes, it's always been an issue and always had controversy.

And yes to the last point.

21. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

Last year's Audi wouldn't have had this years fuel allowance.

22. IforceV8

IforceV8

23. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Northstar, brocktj4 and Scuderia Paul like this.
  24. TheElbows

TheElbows

Interesting article. Everytime I hear the ACO flexing its muscle with something ridiculous I hope at some point they fail. Maybe we need a completely failed year at LeMans to shock them back into acting like a normal business.

No surprise really seeing Chip Ganassi's team being blackmailing a-holes. As an American I took very little away from the Ford win.

catamount39 likes this.
  25. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

I actually did a historic Gulf livery on the GT in Forza.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. brocktj4

brocktj4

I stand corrected.

27. ukfan758

ukfan758

If you're in the US and missed Le Mans, fox sports is airing some sort of a highlights package on the 30th at 8pm EST.

28. Mt. Lynx

Mt. Lynx Premium

So next year they're gonna need to replace the intercooler, but can't...

29. SiriusR

SiriusR

And here's a livery I'm making because I'm tired of how everybody's making "historical" Gulf liveries on GTs:
    [​IMG]
    (it's a WIP, don't mind some incorrect placed decals and overall lack of decals)

DK, FerrariF1GT, TwinTurbo LM and 7 others like this.
  30. IforceV8

IforceV8

Since the Ford team is sponsored by Castrol Edge why dont you guys do one in the classic Castrol colors.

Vinylshark, lxmmy, DK and 6 others like this.