2016 Le Mans 24 Hours - 15th to 19th June 2016

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 3,302 comments
I actually did a historic Gulf livery on the GT in Forza.
27144400694_ce24228d01_c.jpg

27656022292_f2606302c8_c.jpg
This...is the best thing ever. :drool:

That's because Gulf Racing actually tries to pull something new and tasteful instead of going full "ZOMFG GT40 HERITAGE 917K LEGACY" and applying the very same layout over and over again like fans do. That's why I took modern Gulf Racing's cars' liveries as the source of inspiration - to make it less tired and played out than pretty much every other fanmade livery (which are low quality and didn't go beyond blandly copying '69 #6 Ford GT40's livery anyway) while staying faithful to the '69 Le Mans winner.

Just compare:
blog-gulfcamaroautox.jpg

elms-spielberg-2014-85-gulf-racing-uk-aston-martin-vantage-v8-roald-goethe-stuart-hall-dan.jpg

729087dscf1106.jpg

elms-silverstone-2015-86-gulf-racing-uk-porsche-911-rsr-michael-wainwright-adam-carroll-ph.jpg

e352a55c2e1ba3c22dfe53c07bf73d10.jpg

bes-24-hours-of-spa-2013-9-gulf-racing-mclaren-mp4-12c-mike-wainwright-andy-meyrick-stuart.jpg

austin_mini_gulf_by_danythemummy-d4b74mh.jpg

endurance-24-hours-of-dubai-2015-69-gulf-racing-uk-lamborghini-gallardo-lp560-gt3-roald-go.jpg

Ford-GT-Gulf-Livery.jpg

gulfracing_gt_lm_by_sirius_r-da7ot9f.png

Last edited:
That actually looks horrible.
It is simply a dull and overused livery.
It looked alright on last year's Vantage. Last time it actually looked good was on the DBR9. I wouldn't mind if it disappeared from the grid, it looks horrific on that 911.

It's all a matter of taste; to each his own. The reason why it's used so often, is it's simply iconic. You see the light blue and orange together and you that it could only be a Gulf sponsored car. Compair it to the old Marlboro liveries. (Did I spell that right?) Or the Lotus liveries. You knew exactly what that car was the second you saw the colors it had on it. It all lies with marketing. It's an easily recognizable rand due to the fact of the single orange stripe. If people know what it is, the more likely the will be to buy it. Why change it if it's doing exactly what you want it to? As for all the spray can replicas on road cars, I have yet to see one in person, and to that extent, I can see how it can become an eye sore.

It's all a matter of taste; to each his own. The reason why it's used so often, is it's simply iconic. You see the light blue and orange together and you that it could only be a Gulf sponsored car. Compair it to the old Marlboro liveries. (Did I spell that right?) Or the Lotus liveries. You knew exactly what that car was the second you saw the colors it had on it. It all lies with marketing. It's an easily recognizable rand due to the fact of the single orange stripe. If people know what it is, the more likely the will be to buy it. Why change it if it's doing exactly what you want it to? As for all the spray can replicas on road cars, I have yet to see one in person, and to that extent, I can see how it can become an eye sore.

Sorry can you point out the GULF logos for me here please?
ABA54D9B-3933-403B-9A76-8C8FD5338B03_zps2re9uppe.jpg

Went on a personal research. It's an Aston Martin Racing's car. AMR often uses Gulf Racing's cars - just google "Aston Martin Racing", pretty much half of photos will be of Gulf Racing's Vantages. This one just seems to be used by AMR without of GR's sponsorship.

Went on a personal research. It's an Aston Martin Racing's car. AMR often uses Gulf Racing's cars - just google "Aston Martin Racing", pretty much half of photos will be of Gulf Racing's Vantages. This one just seems to be used by AMR without of GR's sponsorship.
It's not Aston Martin racing and has never been owned by Aston Martin racing :)

The name on the site might tell you who owns it.

All Aston Martin racing cars are privately owned including the pro cars in WEC.

Also random fact I own the side skirts from this car from when it raced at spa but that's just showing off.

I finally managed to get a corvette cup!

4EE26F23-348D-464D-B95A-B47C06848C5C_zpsh2xlovri.jpg

If anyone's been to Le Mans each year they have different cups of previous years Le Mans class winners which people see as a challenge to collect them all and the only one I couldn't get was the C7R one but someone on another forum kindly sent me one free!

I came back with about 20 this year, I'll have a rummage around later today and see which ones I have!

It's based off the Gulf livery that JWA Porsche used on the 908/3s in the 1970 Nurburgring 1000km and the Targo Florio. It's very much a 'Gulf' livery.
image.jpeg

Back