2016 Le Mans 24 Hours - 15th to 19th June 2016

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 3,302 comments
John Dagys
“We suffered a sudden loss of power,” a Toyota spokesman said. “We are ‎still investigating the precise root cause for an issue which we have never experienced previously. A full update will be issued in due course.

“At this time we would like to express our deep appreciation for all the messages of support which we have received in the past days, from fans, colleagues and friends.

We will return to Le Mans in 2017 stronger thanks to that support and encouragement.”

Great to see this confirmed (I know, 2017 is a long way away and it can still be decided the opposite, but it's a sign in the right direction) 👍

and if it was the case for Toyota (which I doubt as the theory of slower speeds = danger is ridiculous IMO), then they pretty much deserved to lose.
Other than deflecting, saying they deserved to lose, and Toyota's are junk do you have any opinions that support a theory about what caused the issue?

While it kept going, they didn't try to make any changes to the car before the breakdown unlike the others, so bad move on Toyota's part to risk it.
How could they when there was no warning it was about to fail.

Other than deflecting, saying they deserved to lose, and Toyota's are junk do you have any opinions that support a theory about what caused the issue?

Wrong shade of red? :lol:

Well...🤬.

What a disappointing LeMans for me, personally.

A) Ended up going to a family event on Saturday, leaving precisely when the race began...no worries, I had the first five hours set to record, so I could catch up. Come home...two and a half hours of :censored:ing golf.

B) I watch the stream for a while and as I'm falling asleep, remind myself "no big deal, I have the last seven hours set to record, surely it'll be fine this time...". Wake up...watch until they cut the end of the god damn race two hours prior to finish. Well...too late.

So, besides Fox Sports being the worst broadcast company in history...the Toyota issue was heartbreaking. I've always been an Audi fan (nice to see Wolfgang continue to be such a damn genuinely good dude) so I was a little disinterested in the Porsche/Toyota run --- but terrible for them.

The Ford victory definitely feels pretty hollow to me. The technical achievement for me is a bit marred by a vastly advantageous car backed up by loads of money, a four car effort and sandbagging. I'm glad the Ferrari stayed out but there wasn't much "race" in GT Pro outside of the single Ferrari which made for a very shallow feeling victory to me. Chip Ganassi has always been a win-at-all-costs kind of guy, but it would have been nice to see him tell the ACO to ignore the position lights on the Ferrari and just let them race. But, it's Chip. Never gonna happen. It had too much of a propaganda stunt feel for me to really embrace it.

Overall just a crap weekend for me. I'm curious if Audi will continue on (every year I wonder if they'll continue to compete) this could be the perfect time/excuse for them to move to something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been an Audi fan (nice to see Wolfgang continue to be such a damn genuinely good dude)
He really is, I had the opportunity to talk to him in Austin and he was genuinely a nice person. He seemed really humble and down to earth which was really refreshing.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it kept going, they didn't try to make any changes to the car before the breakdown unlike the others, so bad move on Toyota's part to risk it.

What are you talking about? That was the penultimate lap. He didn't slow down until the car went wrong. At that point he was on the radio saying "I have no power, I have no power". If they know something was failing but hoping it would last they would be complete idiots to pull into the pits and guarantee that they lose the race. if they had no prior warning then again there is nothing they could have done.

From the FIA WEC facebook page:
13442482_1146093515447101_8589952178856313858_o.jpg
Toyota is officially the unofficial winner of this year's Le Mans.

Few pictures from the weekend
... [PICS] ...​
Rest of the pics here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amd87ts/albums/72157670097512975
Some great photos there. I particularly like the Chevrolet at Tertre Rouge in the rain at night. I will check out the rest later.

EDIT Just looked through your Le Mans 2016 album and you have some amazing stuff. The fly-by videos are brilliant. The Aston Martin and Chevrolet Corvette sound incredible.

WEC app has updated and you can watch the race in one hour segments if you missed it, or want to put yourself through it again. :eek:
I couldn't bare watch the end again but I will watch the 6h I missed when I went to bed. I had planned stay up right through but had to work the Monday and besides I need all the beauty sleep I can get.

Last edited:
The livery on the Ford GT is horrid, guy who designed that should be fired. He made a bad ass looking car look boring.

Hope they change up the colors for next year or at least for the next race.

The livery on the Ford GT is horrid, guy who designed that should be fired. He made a bad ass looking car look boring.

Blame Ford, they are the ones that commissioned that.

Couldn't agree more. I can't belive they didn't do a skull on the back! Eyes, nostrils, and a white diffuser for teeth!

On Facebook, someone once posted a picture saying he wanted to see the classic Ford GT40 liveries on the cars rather than today's red/white/blue colors. Basically, I wouldn't mind seeing today's Ford GT cars rock the legendary Gulf livery. If the SRT Viper program went back to the basic red with white stripes livery (which I absolutely loved), why not the Ford GTs with the Gulf colors? That's even if it seems too obvious or boring to try that livery package. Also even if you ran those colors for only one race. Think about it- seeing the old Gulf colors would be a showing of the evolution of one of the finest racing machines and one of the finest racing programs of all time.

I will admit I've been using Twitter more for finding news bits. We all know of Porsche's victory overall. So I wanted to make mention of Signatec for winning in LMP2, of course the Ford GT in GTE-Pro, and also Scuderia Corsa for winning in GTE-Am. But man- 60 entries at Le Mans 2016! I think I remember there were maybe at least 40 entries at Le Mans maybe a decade ago. You all know how I feel about Le Mans. You don't race or finish Le Mans- you survive it. I do wish I could have followed this year's race more. Regardless, it is still great to follow Le Mans in some sort of fashion.

With Porsche going back-to-back with overall victories at Le Mans, is it time to say that Porsche is the new marque to beat at Le Mans? Are they the new Audi? Is Porsche now atop the sportscar racing food chain at Le Mans and at the other major events?

Blame Ford, they are the ones that commissioned that.

*Goes on about heritage and 40th anniversary of car with the 40 name*

*makes no reference to the actual winning cars other than what the bodyshape is based on*

Bravo Ford, PR chance a million missed. One of those GT's in all black with gold rims would have been stunning, but no, corporate ££££ matter more.

*Goes on about heritage and 40th anniversary of car with the 40 name*

*makes no reference to the actual winning cars other than what the bodyshape is based on*

Bravo Ford, PR chance a million missed. One of those GT's in all black with gold rims would have been stunning, but no, corporate ££££ matter more.
I just felt that if Ford did emulating the Gulf Livery, someone will scream "Cash in on classic".

I have to agree though, the Ford was boring...terribly boring. I would have preferred old school racing colours (blue with white stripes or white with blue stripes for America). Some kind of decent paint scheme would have really helped.

Latest Posts

Back