2016 Le Mans 24 Hours - 15th to 19th June 2016

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 3,302 comments
Yet they are refusing to appeal it?

Don't try and play that it wasn't fair when the Risi Team decided it was fair.

This race should be about the cars and drivers anyway, not about BoP changes and stupid penalties like the engine being off when refueling and the light indicators not showing 2nd place.

Both teams drove the crap out of these cars and Ford managed to come out on top in the end.

The only ones that are trying to appeal anything right now is Ferrari, the Risi Team aren't appealing anything.
Ford did not appeal their penalties either.

Why would they appeal to it when they secured second after the penalty has been imposed.

Still doesn't answer my question why would Ford go out their way to try and penalise another car for not having functional lights when it was broad daylight?

With the original margin-of-victory being 1:00.200, the penalties would have given the Risi Ferrari the class victory, but the Houston-based team was also hit with a post-race time penalty of its own.

Did you somehow miss this part? Again, stop trying to defend Risi when they won't even appeal the decision themselves.

If they did win the appeal they would have been given first in GTE-PRO.

Ford did not appeal their penalties either.

No one did, the only ones appealing anything right now is Ferrari.

None of the teams or the people behind them are appealing at either Ford or Risi.

Yet they are refusing to appeal it?

Don't try and play that it wasn't fair when the Risi Team decided it was fair.

This race should be about the cars and drivers anyway, not about BoP changes and stupid penalties like the engine being off when refueling and the light indicators not showing 2nd place.

Both teams drove the crap out of these cars and Ford managed to come out on top in the end.

The only ones that are trying to appeal anything right now is Ferrari, the Risi Team aren't appealing anything.

These dense Ford GT fanboys, I tell ya :grumpy:

YES, we all want a "run what you brought" racing scenario. We want no BoP, no stupid penalties, we wan't fire-breathing monsters with homologated street versions to tear La Sarthe. But that has already happened before and almost destroyed the series, that's why the ACO changed the name of the game, and Ford, deliberately, played a different game altogether.

The new game is called "race to a set level of performance without spending bajillions of dollars doing it", and like it or not it involves Balance of Performance. A BoP that both Ford and Ferrari shamelessly exploited, only that Ford had the bare cheek to deny it and return the accusations to Corvette (Yeah, that Corvette that was pounded to oblivion and coulndn't keep up with anything on a stragith line).

Stop thinking Ford is a special snowflake. If someone had told Corvette, Porsche and Aston that the name of the game was an entirely different one, you would've seen the GT racing against a supercharged V8 'Vette, a 918 (which, by the way, when you remove the electric gizmos is an LMP2-spec engine), and, say, an Aston Martin Vulcan. That's a race I would've loved to see, but I didn't got it. And neither I got the balanced race I was supposed to get.

Having had some time to think about the race, I realised this is the best race I've watched in ages. It is the best Le Mans race I've watched since I started watching in 2004.

The only more exiting race to watch might've been the Bergmeister vs Magnussen finish at Laguna Seca in 2009.

LMP1

Judging by the performance of Toyota so far in this WEC season, my hopes weren't really that high. At Spa I felt the high downforce package was the only reason they ever led that race. And at Silverstone they weren't really competitive.

The hybrids have proven to be extremely unreliable so far this year. Not a single manufacturer in LMP1 has been spared from reliability issues.

Can I just remind everyone that 30 seconds was what seperated 1st and 2nd after 24 hours of racing untill the #2 was struck with a slow puncture? They've been literally leapfrogging each other for 24 hours. As a fan of both, I could not have asked for a race more exiting than this one.

I could barely watch the final 2 hours. Ultimately Toyota has yet again thrown a lot of money at this race without a victory. Their Le Mans campaign seems to be heading the same direction as their F1 campaign: So much resources and effort into a project with that win as the goal, and ultimately not succeeding at it.

No doubt the TS050 was the best overall car at this year's race, sadly in the end it blew up. Seeing the issues Toyota has had this year, you only had to wonder when that issue would knock on their door during the race. Porsche threw everything they had at Toyota, and in the end I feel they got handed the victory. But it goes without saying that they deserved it just every bit as much as Toyota. The #2 could've blown up as well, and a Toyota 1-2 was very likely throughout the entire race.

Audi simply shot themselves in the foot with the R18. It isn't particularly fast, and it is incredibly unreliable. The worst shape I've ever seen from Audi, even 2009 wasn't this bad for them. They've made the car far too complex, making every repair taking way too much time than is needed.

LMP2
Not much to say here for me. LMP2 cars seem bulletproof, and I have infinite respect for Frederic Sausset and the entire team. Seeing the entire team congratulating each other, and seeing the tears flow was beautiful to watch. I'm curious to see how next year's LMP2's will perform knowing that they will get an increase in power and aero.

GTE Pro
Fully deserved win by Ford. The entire BoP fiasco is blown out of proportion by the fans. I've heard Chevrolet admitting they've no pace compared to Ford during the race, but not a single interview have I heard where either Aston, Porsche, or Chevrolet were complaining about the BoP for Ferrari and Ford. It's purely an advanced GT car compared to the competition. I love the way the GT looks, I love the way it sounds... What's not to like about it? The C7 sounds like 50-year old tech in a new jacket, and I've grown weary of the Vantage. I'm glad something entirely new stirred up the GT class. I do, however, wonder how things played out if AF Corse weren't so miserable...

GTE Am
Uhm, whatever. No victory for Pat Long. /sadface.

Last edited:
Risi has taken their penalty and accepted it, none of your arguing changes that one bit.

If they hadn't they would be first in GTE-PRO.

If you didn't find the penalty fair, well too bad because apparently Risi did.

Stop thinking Ford is a special snowflake. If someone had told Corvette, Porsche and Aston that the name of the game was an entirely different one, you would've seen the GT racing against a supercharged V8 'Vette, a 918 (which, by the way, when you remove the electric gizmos is an LMP2-spec engine), and, say, an Aston Martin Vulcan. That's a race I would've loved to see, but I didn't got it. And neither I got the balanced race I was supposed to get.

You call me dense?

The Corvette had a 5.5l V8(What production car uses this engine? Also the maximum displacement N/A) versus Ford's 3.5l V6 TT(Shares 60% of internals with a Ford Taurus SHO and not the maximum displacement for FI).

It's not Ford's fault that Chevy decided to use a N/A V8.

Last edited:
Risi has taken their penalty and accepted it, none of your arguing changes that one bit.

If they hadn't they would be first in GTE-PRO.

If you didn't find the penalty fair, well too bad because apparently Risi did.
Again you still haven't answered my question as you are so adamant to defend Ford:

why would Ford go out their way to try and penalise another car for not having functional lights when it was broad daylight?

Let's keep it fair, Risi filed protests as well as Chip Ganassi. Y'all are getting pretty hung up on Ford doing it but seem completely fine with Ferrari doing the exact same :lol:

/edit:
Just for the record, I'm not much of a Ford guy. But I prefer Ford to Ferrari... And Chevy didn't have a chance to win it, this time.

Again you still haven't answered my question as you are so adamant to defend Ford:

I don't need to answer the question because my opinion on the matter doesn't mean anything and doesn't change anything.

What matters is that the league found it to be an appropriate penalty and the Risi Team accepted the penalty, which means that they also found it appropriate.

I doubt the opinion of "FordGTGuy" on GTPlanet is going to make a spit of a difference about that.

What matters in the end is that both Ferrari and Ford were "Going Like Hell" all the way to the finish and both deserve tons of praise for it.

Let's keep it fair, Risi filed protests as well as Chip Ganassi. Y'all are getting pretty hung up on Ford doing it but seem completely fine with Ferrari doing the exact same
Yep and bravo to them for it. Trying to get them booted off the podium on a minor issue is a classless move. Risi went back POST RACE and saw that Ford got away with speeding in a slow zone and said F.U. Chip, filed the protest, and they were right to do it. How the race director somehow missed that in the first place is another mystery.💡

Yep and bravo to them for it. Trying to get them booted off the podium on a minor issue is a classless move. Risi went back POST RACE and saw that Ford got away with speeding in a slow zone and said F.U. Chip, filed the protest, and they were right to do it. How the race director somehow missed that in the first place is another mystery.💡

Nevermind, read it wrong.

Last edited:
2 yr program then they will hang a banner up saying "well done Baku"

no wait "mission accomplished"

something like that...:D

mission_accomplished_bush.jpg

I wished Ford made an LMP instead of a GTE car. I really wanted to see them gain another overall victory and I hope they begin work on an LMP1 prototype soon. Still definitely deserved a class win, though.

Toyota has the worst luck in Le Mans. In 1994, the 94C-V placed second only behind the Dauer 962 that was on the same lap. In 1999, the GT-One was leading for most of the race until it made a long pit stop 30 minutes before the race. In 2014, the TS040s were dominating the first half of the race only to suffer reliability issues. And, of course, this year, they ran out of power on the final lap and it gave Porsche the #1 position. Here's hoping next year will go well.

Audi arguably had their worst performance at Le Mans ever since they first competed in 1999. The car was ugly as hell and reliability issues went through the roof.

I'm kind of sad that Nissan wasn't here this year, but I could see why they gave up after one race. It performed miserably last year, it couldn't keep up with the top dogs from Porsche, Audi, and Toyota, and it suffered reliability issues. It had really good ideas though, like a 750 HP hybrid system developed with Cosworth and attempting to bring a competitive FWD car to Le Mans. I really wanted to see Nissan come back to Le Mans only to quit after one race. I really hope they come back to the LMP1 scene soon and hopefully more competitive than ever.

I hope some more manufacturers join in the next year or to, especially Mazda. I would absolutely LOVE to see a new rotary-powered LMP1 to take on the big boys and hopefully win.

Post race Tech. Why would anybody know about it during the race?

Just like the light clusters, a penalty that made no difference in the race that happened post-race both resulting in the same time penalty.

So while everyone is arguing "Who cares about light clusters in daylight" well who cares about faulty wheel speed sensors at any time of day?

Sorry what race did you watch?

If the Ferrari would have been penalized out of 2nd then it would have come in 3rd... so no it wouldn't be a 1-2-3 victory for Ford.

Sorry, read the story wrong.

It is funny how no one brought up this penalty while arguing about the lights:
It is a different scenario as Ferrari didn't just go to the stewards and say to check on their wheel sensors but Ford what they did to try and get a competitor off the podium to make it look like a fairy-tale as they were made to look like Ford were the superior and perfect in front of their cameras.

It is a different scenario as Ferrari didn't just go to the stewards and say to check on their wheel sensors but Ford what they did to try and get a competitor off the podium to make it look like a fairy-tale as they were made to look like Ford were the superior and perfect in front of their cameras.

You're the one that wanted to argue the semantics of what a difference light clusters make in race during daylight but you have no problem with a 20-second penalty post race for a faulty wheel speed sensor... the hypocrisy is thick.

You're the one that wanted to argue the semantics of what a difference light clusters make in race during daylight but you have no problem with a 20-second penalty post race for a faulty wheel speed sensor... the hypocrisy is thick.
Just as bad as ford protesting risi just to get a 123? Not risi fault if they are playing them at their own game.

You are not grasping the theme here. But I sum it up here. Ford have no sense of sportsmanship.

Just like the light clusters, a penalty that made no difference in the race that happened post-race both resulting in the same time penalty.

So while everyone is arguing "Who cares about light clusters in daylight" well who cares about faulty wheel speed sensors at any time of day?
It has been explained to you about 10 times already but you are too thick headed to understand so let me explain it again. Ganassi filed the protest at 14:29pm local time. There were 31 minutes left in the race. The reason they did this was to force the 2nd place Ferrari to stop and repair the light and in that time the #69 Ford would have passed the 82 and moved into 2nd place. If the repair had taken longer than 4 minutes then the 4th place #66 car would have also gained a lap on the 82 and moved into 3rd place.

Got it?

Trying to get a competitor penalised to get a 1-2-3 finish is horrible.
Trying to get a competitor penalised to get the class victory is not.

"But Ford started it!" Great. Neither shows a lot of sportsmanship. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Not risi fault if they are playing them at their own game.
It's the ACO's game first and foremost. Theirs is the rule book that, nowadays, means a top notch lawyer might be a more valuable asset to a team than a top notch racing engineer.

It has been explained to you about 10 times already but you are too thick headed to understand so let me explain it again. Ganassi filed the protest at 14:29pm local time. There were 31 minutes left in the race. The reason they did this was to force the 2nd place Ferrari to stop and repair the light and in that time the #69 Ford would have passed the 82 and moved into 2nd place. If the repair had taken longer than 4 minutes then the 4th place #66 car would have also gained a lap on the 82 and moved into 3rd place.

Got it?
Can I also add this that I first noticed risis lights weren't working at 8:30pm last night so they had plenty of time to protest.

Back