2016 Mazda2 | Mazdaspeed2 being considered?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 254 comments
I read yesterday that it actually is possible to get the Mazda2 in the US if you really want it.

The car is actually fully federalized, Mazda has just chosen not to sell it in the US. However, you can buy one in Puerto Rico, and could presumably import one to the continental US, where it should be 50-state legal.

I'm confused.

Toyota has been selling a rebadged Mazda2 in the US as the Yaris. You're telling me now they're selling a rebadged Toyota Yaris as a Mazda2? Also...the car in the pictures has absolutely zero current Mazda design language. Something doesn't seem right.

I was aware the next Mazda 2 was going to share its platform with the Yaris, but wasn't expecting it to be nothing more than a rebadge. That will be disappointing, if so.

Hopefully this is just a test mule and the production model will feature the brand's design language - Right now, the Toyota styling will stick out like a sore thumb amongst the rest of the lineup.

I assume this is a test car. It would not be a good marketing decision to not stick to Mazda’s language.

I'm confused.

Toyota has been selling a rebadged Mazda2 in the US as the Yaris. You're telling me now they're selling a rebadged Toyota Yaris as a Mazda2? Also...the car in the pictures has absolutely zero current Mazda design language. Something doesn't seem right.
I'm predicting the Mazda2 will continue being sold as a Yaris.

Not a fan of the new design as an owner of A 2016 model. The one with the Grill looks allright but those without it just look too smooth/soft for my liking.

And regarding the Yaris thing. That is only for the Mazda 2 Hybrid. The normal 2 still has its own design.

I rented the Mazda 2 Hybrid last summer and quite liked it. Pretty fast acceleration on the first meters off the line due to the Electrical assistance. Since I could not afford the Hybrid I bought the regular 2 shortly after.

I’d like it if the 2 went back(no pun intended) to an upright rear end.

Back