2016 Mazda2 | Mazdaspeed2 being considered?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 254 comments
my bad misread it, just copied and pasted what wiki said and used the link they had.

The Mazda 2 for canada is from my knowledge including hatch though.

The Mazda2 has been confirmed for Canada a long time ago. I saw one in person at the Montreal Auto Show back in January, I think the first ones are already hitting dealerships.

Yeah, they confirmed them months ago at the Autoshow here as well. The booth people had absolutely no info on it, though. They said June was the target for the dealers, and I've been spotting the CX-3 a lot more the past couple weeks, so hopefully the 2 will follow soon.

Looks good in the flesh. Even though most people love hatchbacks here, I'm sure these will sell well. I'd actually make a race car out of this.

Axa7KjK.jpg

8XydIOH.jpg

YYfEtaO.jpg

After the resoundingly positive reviews of the Scion iA, I'm definitely interested in checking one out. Its a shame we don't get the Mazda front end on it, but when its 80% of what I want, I suppose that's as good as it gets.

Maybe the Scion version has some upgraded bits and suspension tuning. I remember that from the Yaris back in 2006/2007(?)

Got Tints done:
2a5x7hs.jpg

4kcg40.jpg

2d1ad6t.jpg

Bit Dirty but here is another interior view from drivers side(Note: I put seat covers on):
2nitrth.jpg

Cargo space(Water Bottle as comparison as it was all I had on me at the time):
2wn1zip.jpg
I used to want a Pathfinder with some tints. That's all I need.

Maybe the Scion version has some upgraded bits and suspension tuning. I remember that from the Yaris back in 2006/2007(?)

I'm under the assumption it is a straight port over from Mazda, the only difference being the front clip and the badge swaps. I've been under the impression that the iA gets the more premium interior options as well.

Typically Scion offers up TRD performance parts for each of their vehicles that show up, and they're usually pretty mild. Lowering springs, anti-roll bars, radiator cap, short throw shifter, and supercharger have been the efforts of years past. But, on the iA, there aren't any. I'm wondering if that is because it is a Mazda underneath, not a Toyota, and they won't do it. Compared to the iM (Auris) which is launching along side it, that has quite a few more options available that are performance oriented.

I typically hate TRD springs on their road cars. Too stiff... and without damper upgrades, makes the car feel too skittish. (With the TRD shock absorbers, however, it's a different story).

Mazda got the suspension right on the 2. All that's missing, really, is a little more power.

I have to wonder how many of the MX-5's 1.5L bits would bolt onto the 2, assuming that they're fairly similar inside. If its really a matter of intake and exhaust, small updates would do the car good.

Car doesn't need much power tbh, whether it's the gearing or the power is understated the Acceleration on the 2 is solid, it will easily Pull on base C Segment cars and non Hot hatch B segments.

A Mazdaspeed varient would be good for a Hothatch assault.

I have to wonder how many of the MX-5's 1.5L bits would bolt onto the 2, assuming that they're fairly similar inside. If its really a matter of intake and exhaust, small updates would do the car good.

Plumbing won't transfer between the two cars. Completely different layout. Besides which, the Mazda exhaust is already fairly well optimized (having seen the complex header required for full SkyActiv in the 3... I'd say very)

Not that you can't find more power with a good header... (friends have built one for the 3 already!) but it won't be on the same order as with other engines.

Encouragingly, the Unichip works with the 1.5...

Well, I had a drive in a Scion iA with the automatic, and I came away very impressed.

The material quality inside was much better than I had expected, and was genuinely surprised by the fit/finish on the dash and on the wheel. The seat cushion was maybe a little short for my taste, but overall, was quite good. There was plenty of room in the back for me with my seat set where I wanted it, although, I didn't care for the way the headrests work. They've got to be adjusted if anyone rides in the back, and that might be a bit annoying.

The steering and brakes were appropriately stiff, and not as far of a departure from my Celica that I've often come to expect. Although I wasn't able to really get into the performance of it, the 1.5L seems more than adequate in regular traffic situations (running up to 45 MPH or so). The automatic popped off shifts pretty crisply, and never really seemed to go running for a top gear if it didn't need to. Or, if it did, I didn't notice. I'd be curious to know how well it'd go through a long sweeper, and it sounds like I'll get my opportunity once the first of the manual-equipped models show up.

More or less, my interest is piqued. The dealer didn't seem like they were expecting as many sales of the iA as the iM, and it sounds like the supply is going to be limited here in Michigan, at least for a bit. Its definitely jumped up to the front, if not the top, of my potential purchase list. A shame we don't have the properly badged, hatchback version...

Thinking hard about a manual Titanium Flash 2 sedan. Working out a 30mm drop with Pedders Suspension, on 17" MX-5 GT wheels.

The car is so much like my old '88 16V GLI. In terms of character.

Does the Sedan come in Genki yet?

My mum bought the sedan about 6 months ago after she liked my car, but didn't want to get the hatch as well because it would be weird lol, but it only went up to Maxx trim.

Got to say the HUD is probably the best thing about my car, makes life a little easier especially in speed camera heavy Sydney.

Like the Diamond Grille not sure about the lights looks like a last gen Mazda 3.

The first thing that came to mind was the Mazda 6, they look very similar from the front end now:
660_MZDA1.JPG

mazda2-7005.jpg

I don't think the 2 will received the slim headlight treatment until the next-gem model arrives.

Back