2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
Does anyone find it weird how NONE of the dominant drivers won the title ( Harvick,Brad,Truex,Busch ) and it was won by one who didn't had a dominant year?
Screenshot_2016-11-20-19-26-11-1.png

Does anyone find it weird how NONE of the dominant drivers won the title ( Harvick,Brad,Truex,Busch ) and it was won by one who didn't had a dominant year?
*Dumb thought inbound*

The line "I'm as good once as I ever was" comes to mind.

Anymore, no. Everyone seems to be really good, but have spotty moments under the bright lights. All of them have, and some of them are not of their own doing, but it happens a lot anymore.

Seven titles in eleven years. According to my (probably wrong) math, that's 0.636363636 championships per year.
Earnhardt had his seven titles over a fifteen year period. That's 0.46666666666 championships per year.
Petty had his seven championships over a sixteen year period. That's 0.4375 per year.
No matter how different the machinery, and no matter how they were won, that is still very impressive.

Congrats to Johnson. Heartbreaking for Edwards but that was pure class the way he handeled that. I'm a JGR fan and was pulling for the 18 after the 19 retired. Classy interview for the 18 as well. 22 did a great job. Still hate him though lol

To me, Jimmy Johnson is an unbelievable driver, and more kudos to him for winning in these messed up chase formats that NASCAR seems to keep changing every year.

It's still not the achievement of winning 7 championships based on points for the entire season, like Petty or Earnhardt. Basically getting lucky in one race(or a few), shouldn't decide a racing championship.

I'm still glad he won though, I like him and think he's a stand up guy.

Seven titles in eleven years. According to my (probably wrong) math, that's 0.636363636 championships per year.
Earnhardt had his seven titles over a fifteen year period. That's 0.46666666666 championships per year.
Petty had his seven championships over a sixteen year period. That's 0.4375 per year.
No matter how different the machinery, and no matter how they were won, that is still very impressive.
That doesn't include years before and after their last titles. Regardless, Seven. The Cup series isn't yet 70, meaning Jimmie, Dale, and Richard alone account for over 30% of Cup titles. Jeff Gordon and Tony Steward were highly praised talents, and they only reached four and three, respectively. Cale won a few, DW, the list goes on. It's incredible what that effort has done.

Breaking away from the Championship discussion, Michael McDowell finished 10th! TENTH!

21 Wins Championship
19 Wins Championship
Totals 40

Jimmie has 7 titles, plus Suarez has 1, totals 48.

Add the 21's championship, total of 49 which is Smoke's final total of victories.

Illoominaughty confirmed

2016 was the best year in terms of racing, excitement, and class, since a lonnnng time ago. Not going to lie, IDK how much I will be engaged next year, without Smoke, but people who say the sports talent pool is dying are stupid.

Anybody happen to know what in the poop happened to the 43? He finished the race in dead last 55 laps down, maybe I missed it but I feel like it was never covered.

Toyota wins the Manufacturer's Championship. Cue the angry teens on fb with Confederate Flag profile pictures.

The fact Toyota won just shows how good Gibbs has been this year since it's pretty much them and the #78 Vs. Hendrick, SHR and RCR.

Anybody happen to know what in the poop happened to the 43? He finished the race in dead last 55 laps down, maybe I missed it but I feel like it was never covered.
No clue. Probably some minor hardware failure.

OK, Who actually remembers the entire 2001-2003 Cup Seasons?

You do realize that JJ was the first driver to win a fifth race this season, right? Going in to tonight's race, five drivers (2/4/18/48/78) had four race wins.

You do realize that JJ was the first driver to win a fifth race this season, right? Going in to tonight's race, five drivers (2/4/18/48/78) had four race wins.

Consistency should also play a factor in a championship. God knows how long the string of bad luck for Hendrick this year was, but they didn't have any top 10s during it.

No clue. Probably some minor hardware failure.

OK, Who actually remembers the entire 2001-2003 Cup Seasons?
I do.
2001: Gordon championship, farewell Earnhardt, hello Harvick. Hello also to Kansas and Chicagoland.
2002: Smoke finally prevails. Marlin not only gives away 500, he also pretty much has his career ended following wreck at Kansas. McMurray wins in 2nd race. Ryan Newman and Johnson had great rookie fight.
2003: Kenseth wins championship with 1 win, first driver to win with 2 or less since Labonte in 1996. Winston leaves NASCAR.

Back