2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
Honestly the best way to fix ratings is to drop this chase garbage, guarantee us they'll never go to the caution clock (and dropping it from the truck series) and to start doing some sort of combined streaming coverage.

I'd like to think positively that NASCAR will do this, but Brian France is too much of a dolt that the exact opposite will happen at some point. And unfortunately this is teetering on the edge of self-destruction.

Honestly the best way to fix ratings is to drop this chase garbage, guarantee us they'll never go to the caution clock (and dropping it from the truck series) and to start doing some sort of combined streaming coverage.

I'd like to think positively that NASCAR will do this, but Brian France is too much of a dolt that the exact opposite will happen at some point. And unfortunately this is teetering on the edge of self-destruction.

Best case scenario knowing Brian France: Chase grid stays for one more year, sad to say. Hopefully I'm wrong though, and the Chase Grid is disbanded if and when NASCAR gets a new sponsor.

The best thing the France family can do is get Brian the hell out of the offices and give someone with intelligence the reigns to NASCAR, but that won't happen. We are probably stuck with the chase for the crapshoot and the downward spiraling ratings because of Brian as a result. The only other possible saving grace could be if a bunch of sponsors threaten to withdraw as a collective unless the chase is removed (and actually follow through if it stays).

I agree ratings don't mean much. I've heard ratings on all sports have been in a decline for the past couple years. I personally have streamed most every race for the past 2 years as I didn't have a cable service just internet only. Now I have Playstation Vue but not sure if it even counts towards ratings. I can stream off my Firestick too through Kodi. In the grand scheme of things, I'd expect lower ratings on anything nowadays aren't a true representation of actual viewership.

If we can't get rid of the chase, could we at least get rid of the "elimination" junk? I mean if we're stuck with this garbage, the old system was less trash at least. Though it was still garbage for making races 1-26 also mean nothing. Too obsessed with using an American playoff system that ball/puck sports use.

And live streaming is part of it, but I also think actual attendance speaks for itself.

I don't understand why people hate Kyle Petty. Can someone elaborate on this?
For a "professional" commentator, he doesn't bring a good unique viewpoint. He's a silver spoon holder, since he's the son of an icon... which explains why he drove (and sucked) and now commentates in NASCAR.
Any chase format with the Crap shoot that is Talladega in it, is an absolute joke to begin with.
No, it isn't. The governing body sets up the tracks to race and racers race them. The joke is that there are so many nearly identical 1.5 mile tracks. (Looking at Charlotte and Texas as the epitome)--- break it up. Throw a 2 mile track, Pocono, a road course in it... something different!
With the current design, NASCAR made the first 26 races all but irrelevant.
No. It makes it very important. If you win, you have a chance at the championship. I can't imagine how that's not relevant. Can they reduce the number of races? Oh yeah. Eliminate the redundant Michigan, Kansas and Texas races (to name 3, since Kansas and Texas don't belong in the Chase).

Can they make winning more relevant? Yup. Winning races can net you 3 points in the first round, each. Let's expand: Winning 2+ races nets you the same 3 points, each, in the round of 12, then 3+ races nets you the same 3 points, each, in the round of 8. That'll cease the "but we already won" syndrome (a la Denny Hamlin).

No. It makes it very important. If you win, you have a chance at the championship. I can't imagine how that's not relevant. Can they reduce the number of races? Oh yeah. Eliminate the redundant Michigan, Kansas and Texas races (to name 3, since Kansas and Texas don't belong in the Chase).

Can they make winning more relevant? Yup. Winning races can net you 3 points in the first round, each. Let's expand: Winning 2+ races nets you the same 3 points, each, in the round of 12, then 3+ races nets you the same 3 points, each, in the round of 8. That'll cease the "but we already won" syndrome (a la Denny Hamlin).
Except you don't need a win to be in the Chase (ex. Dillon, Elliott). There's just too many slots out there so you'll just have all the top names in the championship anyways. Worse, like I mentioned before, the tracks within the Chase has been too stagnant. Why should Homestead always be the determining track for the championship? How does that make any sense?

Worse, like I mentioned before, the tracks within the Chase has been too stagnant. Why should Homestead always be the determining track for the championship? How does that make any sense?

Because the market in that particular region can barely support a single NASCAR weekend? Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of the racing at Homestead, but at the very least it's a uniquely-shaped oval and doesn't have any prior races before "The Chase".

Latest Posts

Back