2016 Pirelli Chinese Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Jimlaad43, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

After a failed attempt in Australia and the following power struggle between the teams and FOM, FIA, qualifying returns to the normal Q1, Q2, Q3 system that has been in place since 2006. Now that Saturday has been sorted, we can now fully focus on the rule change that has worked, the tyres. A seemingly crazy and confusing system allowing drivers to pick their allocated sets has left the teams with a lot more strategy options, and the first two races have been fantastic. Will China continue the good run?
    [​IMG]

Circuit Length: 5.451km
    Laps: 56
    Lap Record: 1:32.238 Michael Schumacher (2004)
    Tyres: Super-Soft, Soft, Medium

2015 Result:
    1st: Lewis Hamilton
    2nd: Nico Rosberg
    3rd: Sebastian Vettel

BenMillard and Saidur_Ali like this.
  2. psychoazubi

psychoazubi

Saidur_Ali likes this.
  3. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

A lot more variety with the tyre choices this time out. Should be very interesting!

4. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Tuesday already!?! :D

Should be a good race although I think Ferrari are going to pop at least one more engine on the long straights.

5. Josa

Josa

I don't know... but the tires strategy to me seems to be something simpler than the teams think.
    Tracks where overtake is possible: the softest compound should be used as much as possible (like Bahrein)
    Tracks where overtake is very difficult: the hardest compound should be used as much as possible (like Australia)

That's because the laptime difference between the compounds is big, pitstop is very short and the life span difference is not so big.

Using this logic, Manor and Sauber won't fight with the rest of the grid and Toro Rosso and Mercedes might struggle. We'll see.

6. RazorSharkz

RazorSharkz

Hopefully Ferrari can get their reliability in check because they seem to be the only team capable of challenging Mercedes. I've never really watched a China race but if the rest of the season is anything to go on it should be fun to watch.

7. catamount39

catamount39

Haas will finish 5th and 6th this weekend behind the Mercedes/Ferrari parade, well, Grosjean will finish anyway...not sure about Esteban. :p (hoping he has better luck this go around...)

8. twitcher

twitcher

I'm looking for Williams to have a stronger showing this week. Shanghai is front grip limited as opposed to rear grip limited like Bahrain, so I think Williams will struggle less with rear tire life, which I personally think is their current biggest weakness (I think it's a fundemental flaw of the overall package, as rear grip was their limiting factor last year as well, and is what caused them to throw away better finishes at Silverstone and RBR).

Compared to the last two races which have both been pretty hectic, I think this round will be a rather quiet race with the Mercs out front, Ferrari in tow, then Redbull, Williams, Toro Rosso, Haas, and Force India duking it out for the rest of the points. I don't think Haas will do as well as 5th and 6th, but I think a small handful of points are a possibility. I agree that Ferrari may face reliability issues again, which I think also means Haas are at a bit of a risk as well.

I don't think McLaren will score points, but I have my fingers crossed! I don't see much excitement for Renault, Sauber, or Manor, although I am hoping to see another strong drive from Werhlien.

BenMillard and LMSCorvetteGT2 like this.
  9. Samus

Samus

I'm not sure i'd call it logic...

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  10. twitcher

twitcher

Oh...have we heard yet if Alonso is driving? I can't remember seeing it confirmed either way.

11. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

He says that he expects to be racing. I imagine that he would need to pass another fitness test before his return is confirmed.

12. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Eh I wouldn't be so sure, China is usually the first place where upgrades across the board are seen, if not here then Spain. HAAS are not developing there car any further, it's done and completed. They've got bigger hills to climb in respect to 2017's car.

Eh no, I think you almost have it. The big issue is the rear grip this year, as to where last year they had very little front end grip and overall down force to make the car have great stability. This year is the reverse, the problem with Williams is they for a long time haven't had a clue on how to make a complete package. They have the rear end tightened up for how many years now and yet with such a size zero going on they still haven't been the best. When RBR do it though, and with a good engine...totally different story.

13. Fryto

Fryto

He needs to pass a medical test on Thursday. Only then we'll know.

14. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

BBC are hyping the doubt (little else they can do with F1 nowadays). They're literally correct as we simply don't know.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  15. Peter.

Peter.

Does a collapsed lung and broken rib heal in a month? And by heal in this case I would mean become fit again to experience constant G forces?

16. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Eh, I don't know if that is necessarily the criteria he'd need to race. If he can perform the fitness test even without being fully healed, I'd imagine they let him race. However, they did a chest scan before Bahrain, so I'd imagine they'd do the same here. As @TenEightyOne said we don't know, and it'd be cool if they told the world how this process works. Considering we've had injuries here and there the past few years with drivers and crashes to where they've needed to have these exams.

17. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

The collapsed lung had already healed by Bahrain, it was just a case of letting the rib fracture get strong enough to survive an impact really. TBH he should be fine this weekend, but you never know.

LMSCorvetteGT2 and Ken like this.
  18. twitcher

twitcher

Doesn't look like he's that sore

Meanwhile, Stoff is in China for the race too

Saidur_Ali likes this.
  19. Peter.

Peter.

Well he'd have to always be there just in case Alonso doesn't get approved tomorrow. It doesn't really suggest he's going to race

Jimlaad43 likes this.
  20. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

And I'm pretty sure that he's going to be at a lot of races this year anyway, since he is the reserve driver.

21. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Rain forecast for quali, dry Friday and Sunday though.

22. IforceV8

IforceV8

23. Samus

Samus

Hamilton says he'll have a five place grid penalty, taking a new box.

24. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Well I figured Nico would win this, but not like this.

RazorSharkz likes this.
  25. Robin

Robin Premium

Where's TeamNR at the airport? :lol:

26. Samus

Samus

A lot of 'ifs' of course but I think if he can start 6th, get a good getaway and keep out of trouble in turn 1 he can still have a chance of the win. Assuming he'll have the Ferrari's between himself and Nico I guess it'll depend entirely on how quickly he can dispose of them.

27. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Eh, China should suit them following traffic more, I doubt they'll run nearly as much down force as the last two tracks. The problem is this is a Rosberg track through and through like Bahrain. And I feel Nico can return to victory here, he's been doing a better job of not dropping the ball and if he keeps that going then Lewis will hope he figures out his clutch issues a lot sooner...like in the next few days sooner.

28. Peter.

Peter.

If the Ferraris can't pass Nico or even more unlikely, out qualify him, he will win. It's a good track for him and Lewis will burn his tyres out trying to pass everyone between him and Nico to the point that he won't have the steam to close the gap when, or if, he gets into 2nd. This is all assuming best case scenario for Lewis where he doesn't have a terrible start again.

Shangai doesn't have a long run to turn 1 so limited opportunity for a lead change, so it just might be over already, unless the Saturday rain mixes things up.

29. Samus

Samus

You seem to be forgetting it has a whacking long straight. Plus they'll set up his car with overtaking on the mind since he already knows he'll be 6th at best, not like when you just drop back from a race you expected to be out front and then struggle passing.

30. Peter.

Peter.

A giant straight after a section of high speed corners that will eat at his tyres if he's got traffic to keep up with, my point still stands.