2016 Pirelli Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 435 comments
If a car is deemed to be moving too slowly you can pass it, even under yellow or SC. We've seen it many times when additional cars have an issue behind the SC. Vettel certainly risked it though, deciding Hulk was moving slow enough to be passed legally.

Plus he was deliberately moving slowly which just makes matters worse in Hulkenberg's case and better in Vettel's. It's not another FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) conspiracy nonsense.

I'm actually starting to warm up to the Shanghai circuit. It has a few really good corners, a good variety of corners, contrasted by the long straight, which exposes strengths and weeknesses of various cars. It also tends to produce good racing, for F1 at least. Limited elevation change is the main weekness I suppose, but you can't always have everything. I used to think the surrounding area was rather ugly as well, but it seems to be growing in nicely, and if it wasn't for the smog, it actually starting to look pretty good.

I've thought that a lot of the newer tracks could use a gardener. Istanbul Park for instance had really dull surroundings besides the actual architecture of the pit building.

Some of the camera angles they used for China were really good as well. Showing the entire carousel onto the backstraight was my favourite.

Yes it does. If there are yellow flags or safety car boards, you do not overtake at all. The pitlane entry has the exact same rules, as it has yellow flags governing it waved before the final turn.
No. Ted Kravitz and David Croft both looked it up in the Rule Book and found that it's perfectly legal. Under Safety Car, there are three exceptions to passing, and that was one of them.

Hulkenburg was deemed driving to slowly and that's why he got penalized.

The regulations posted for you and explained by me and others specifically allow it - that's to say it is explicitly specified.

Presumably you're continuing with an argument that the stewards made the wrong decision and that Vettel shouldn't have been allowed to pass where he did. The rules say he is allowed therefore the stewards made the correct decision.

If, on the other hand, you're asking @Jimlaad43 to prove his marshalling experience I suggest you look back through some of his posts and pictures.
I want to see the rule that says you are not allowed to overtake under a track yellow after pit entry as he claimed in post 405. If for example the Force India has stopped after pit entry and before the pit lane then by his interpretation of the rules every car that entered the pits would have to stop and wait for that car to be cleared.

Because the FIA allowed the rules that dont exist to be broken to help Ferrari get back into the race after a bad start is a load of crap. If there is a copy of a rule stating that and the FIA got it wrong then I want to see it and I wonder why none of the other teams went to the stewards to complain that Ferrari has violated a rule?

As for your presumptions, you are wrong about what I think. I think Vettel was smart to pass both of those cars and the stewards got it right.

I should have done a GTP special multi quote when I said "prove it",my mistake. I was referring to access to a rule regarding yellow's and pit entry and not to his marshal experience. His "expert opinion" means nothing to me without a rule attached.

Kvyat had every right to go there. Vettel panicked and Kimi squeezed so they both crashed.

Vettel should have got a penalty for overtaking under yellows, along with Hulkenberg slowing them down, not instead of.
Check the rules. You are allowed to pass in the put lane, even under yellow or SC. There was nothing illegal about his move.

Edit: just to clarify

"39.8 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to h) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track, [...]
The exceptions are:
[...]
f) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas."

And here's the rule that the Hulk fell foul of:

"27.5 At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane. [...]"

Last edited:
Another cracking race, some great midfield/back racing again, Hamilton's bad luck continues but i think it will all change in the second half of the season. I would give Vettel driver of the day just for that pit lane double overtake, never seen that done before. Also great to have proper qualifying back....this season is shaping up to be a cracker !

As someone who watched the WEC race and F1 race I found the F1 race infinitely more entertaining, unless you judge a race purely by the lead battle.
Honestly the battles in GTE and LMP2 in WEC were extremely interesting. But to each his own I guess.

Im onlu part way through the WEC event, so far it's been so so. LMP2 has been good. LMP1 is pretty spaced out, and GTE hasn't seen any screen time other than in the pits. I have zero clue what is happening in GTE.

Indycar was average. Weathertek was average compared to what the first 2 races were.

Best racing of the weekend by far was WSBK from Assen, second after that would be V8SC from PI, third WTCC from Slovakia.

I realize it's still early, but my NBCSN TV listings currently show the Russian Grand Prix on tape delay at 4 pm, with English Premier League running all morning.

Not listed for any other NBC-owned channel. Only shows up as tape-delayed on NBCSN.

Look harder you must.;)

cnbc.JPG

Back