2016 Rio Olympics & Paralympics

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 474 comments
So the Paralympics are on September 7? That is, at least, what I saw in a commercial. I will surely cheer on any of my fellow Americans competing in those games.

michael-phelps-anger-face-memes-13.jpg

Michael Phurts

Where's the DeBolt gif with the gun. That should read Usain Colt45.

Australia being outside the top 5 surprises me.

As an Aussie, it doesn't
Primarily because most of our focus (both in time, news and money) is centered on the pretentious, arrogant and selfish w:censored:ers that make up our swim team, which gained a mere 3 gold medals :grumpy.
Not that it matters, because they will still get the special treatment come Japan, and the cycle will repeat :rolleyes:

Props to GB though :)

I knew that cycling road race route was a death trap... and now it has actually killed someone.

And Iranian para-athlete crashed today and hit his head on a rock. He was rushed to hospital but sadly died.

I knew that cycling road race route was a death trap... and now it has actually killed someone.

And Iranian para-athlete crashed today and hit his head on a rock. He was rushed to hospital but sadly died.
Ah, 🤬.

First I'd heard of it, I've been too busy to watch any of the Games. It's very sad to hear, obviously. I'll read about it in the news tomorrow. :(

I honestly thought at the minimum one of Brazil's FCs would move into the stadium.

If this keeps happening, the IOC might finally get some resistance on building all new structures just for the Olympics.

I honestly thought at the minimum one of Brazil's FCs would move into the stadium.

If this keeps happening, the IOC might finally get some resistance on building all new structures just for the Olympics.

That's why Budapest is no longer running for the 2024 Olympics. A political movement gathered enough signatures for a referendum, a no was voted and today they pulled out of the race.

The main argument was that the money spent on the Olympics should go to more important things needed in Hungary.

Linky.

That's why Budapest is no longer running for the 2024 Olympics. A political movement gathered enough signatures for a referendum, a no was voted and today they pulled out of the race.

The main argument was that the money spent on the Olympics should go to more important things needed in Hungary.

Linky.

It'd be nice if more nations did this than perhaps the IOC would realize how ridiculously expensive the games have gotten in what really is not very reflective of most of the nations that play in said games. Including the one that just hosted it (which shouldn't have) as seen from the images in the article.

It'd be nice if more nations did this than perhaps the IOC would realize how ridiculously expensive the games have gotten in what really is not very reflective of most of the nations that play in said games. Including the one that just hosted it (which shouldn't have) as seen from the images in the article.
I think the IOC knows how expensive it is but isn't all that concerned with how reality will play out. Games are likely to be hosted by nations that also (governmentally) don't care.
Much like the FIFA World Cup.

There's a principle involved by which the legacy is considered an investment. Recent history shows that that principle frequently fails to amount to anything worthwhile.

I think the IOC knows how expensive it is but isn't all that concerned with how reality will play out. Games are likely to be hosted by nations that also (governmentally) don't care.
Much like the FIFA World Cup.

There's a principle involved by which the legacy is considered an investment. Recent history shows that that principle frequently fails to amount to anything worthwhile.

Well yeah, if it weren't for F1, Sochi would be hollow grounds probably as well. It's just a money pit for a one time thing, at least if it was frequent or something it'd be fine. To an extent that is.

Well yeah, if it weren't for F1, Sochi would be hollow grounds probably as well. It's just a money pit for a one time thing, at least if it was frequent or something it'd be fine. To an extent that is.
Not the case for Yeognam, Buddh or Valencia though.

Not the case for Yeognam, Buddh or Valencia though.

Valencia still does testing, and runs other series, the Indian runners were basically forced to shut down their track cause many didn't see a reason to pay what was asked of them or the land uprooted to build the track, so basically the same ideal with the Olympics just in this case F1 in a poor nation, that should put the money else where. S. Korea, just didn't want to pay the prices, not a poor nation just a nation that didn't want to play ball with Bernie at the time and who could blame them.

It's obvious there are certain nations that are willing to pay massive prices for entertainment and sports, while their people suffer and stay in poverty. So as long as you have a historical event and want to host it, someone will pay for that over helping people they govern.

Valencia still does testing, and runs other series, the Indian runners were basically forced to shut down their track cause many didn't see a reason to pay what was asked of them or the land uprooted to build the track, so basically the same ideal with the Olympics just in this case F1 in a poor nation, that should put the money else where. S. Korea, just didn't want to pay the prices, not a poor nation just a nation that didn't want to play ball with Bernie at the time and who could blame them.

It's obvious there are certain nations that are willing to pay massive prices for entertainment and sports, while their people suffer and stay in poverty. So as long as you have a historical event and want to host it, someone will pay for that over helping people they govern.
He's referencing the Valencia street circuit, which fell into disrepair almost as soon as F1 left after the 2012 season. It hasn't been used at all since then.

So this leads me to ask about some other Olympic related items. First is another Rio item, what was it called...the athlete's forrest or something like that? The other is London, and I know at least one stadium is now occupied (West Ham I think?) but what about the rest of them?

Eva
He's referencing the Valencia street circuit, which fell into disrepair almost as soon as F1 left after the 2012 season. It hasn't been used at all since then.

Oh that, it was abandoned cause it was poorly received I don't blame that on F1, like I would with the money pits of the other two, which is the point. Sochi getting funding from the Gov't so it isn't just some hollow grounds from then on but used in a manner to continue to make some revenue for that region, is smart. What we've seen with other nations isn't. Brazil wasted all that money for the span of a few weeks, and the potential to be immortalized as great or horrible in the sports history.

I don't see it worth the money.

Back