2016 Rio Olympics & Paralympics

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 474 comments
Dressage is awesome, it's Horse Dancing! What's there not to love!

dressage.gif

Who pees in the bottle - horse or rider?

So Michael Phelps then, he has now won the 200m medley in the last four Olympics, someone has won the same event in four consecutive games and that was Leonidas of Rhodes back in 152BC, so Phelps has broken a record that was 2,168 years old!

So Michael Phelps then, he has now won the 200m medley in the last four Olympics, someone has won the same event in four consecutive games and that was Leonidas of Rhodes back in 152BC, so Phelps has broken a record that was 2,168 years old!
Phelps has equaled it surely?

Phelps has equaled it surely?
He broke the previous record of 3 consecutive set in the modern games (1896-present). Why we're bringing up records of before the modern Olympiad

We'd be here all day if we were booking our fantasy Olympics.

But don't get me wrong; dressage is so not an Olympic 'sport'.
They should bring back Olympic Sculptureing & Olympic Mixed Literature to replace it.

They should bring back Olympic Sculptureing & Olympic Mixed Literature to replace it.

The irony being that the artistic events were scrapped after London 1948 due to amateurism; the musicians, architects, poets and town planners were professionals and this went against the spirit of the games whereas the runners, jumpers and swimmers were strictly amateur.

Now the needle has swung so far the other way the Olympics is now a meticulous, professional showcase of impossible exertion, in some events by teenagers not allowed to grow up.

But I imagine that even with the 99% professional Olympics we have now there would be ridicule if artistic events were brought back.

---

Fantasy Olympic Event To Make A Return: Tug-Of-War

Sweden upsets the USA 4-3 on pks in the womens soccer quarterfinals, this is the first time the Americans haven't been in the gold medal match.

How about Olympic reverse parallel parking?

Or, as "Futurama" predicted, the Olympic limbo?
Barbados Slim has the record on that.

We can't do parallel parking. 10 countries would total the car and 3 would be banned for other reasons.

He's been a world mountain bike champion in the past.
I thought he finished 3rd as a junior?

Still, that was years ago. It would be an amazing feat if he was able to medal. Not surprising though, because it's Sagan.:P

I don't understand why this loser even chose judo, if he's going to just 🤬 all over the spirit of the sport.

^It is especially ironic being that it's Judo and his hands have been all over him for the past 20 mins!

It's the Olympics, not the UN, you could just shake and be done with it.

That Men's team pursuit final was a brilliant race! GB got off to a bit of a shaky start but it was the edge of the seat stuff watching them claw the time back, a world record time and Australia were under the WR time at one point too.

Serbia not doing too badly against the USA in basketball right now.

I don't understand why this loser even chose judo, if he's going to just 🤬 all over the spirit of the sport.

Because he was getting threats from Muslims that if he shook his hand, he would be in a lot of trouble.

Because he was getting threats from Muslims that if he shook his hand, he would be in a lot of trouble.

I could understand if people were giving him and his family threats etc.

Regarding the stadium, it has filled up a little bit more now but it's still only about 20-30% full and there is literally no atmosphere.

Looks like they haven't:
I went to some of the preliminary athletics rounds for the Sydney Games, and the stands were similarly (though perhaps not as extensively) empty. There may have been the odd gold medal awarded, like the womens' 10,000 metres, but they're not the same as the marquee events like the mens' 100 metres. It's easy to take it out of context to make a point.

It's like the complaints about the lack of spectators during Friday practice for the German Grand Prix. It's easy to look at that and bemoan the future of the sport, but Friday is a working day and is not as important as qualifying or the race, so of course it's not going to be as popular.

The heptathlon is shaping up nicely, KJT did a national record in the high jump but was very poor in the shot put where Thian went big. Ennis-Hill leads overall at the end of the day after being beaten by KJT in the 200m.
I'm looking forward to the mens 400 as well, Van Neikerk and Merritt were deliberately slowing down at the end to not post a fast time.

What a game! Brazil and Australia couldn't find the back of the net for 90 minutes or two extra 15 minute halves in Women's Soccer. So this one needed penalty kicks. First four kicks were cashed in, but then the fifth kicks were both blocked. Brazil won the Penalty Session 7-6 in a thriller. I bet both teams couldn't wait to go to sleep after such a long night! The intensity in this game was almost as if it was the FIFA Women's World Cup Final or something. Just nuts!

Latest Posts

Back