2016 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

Realistically, Kvyat would have been ahead and Bottas and the two Toro Rossos both should have been, but Haas might ligitimally have top 10 pace, or not far off. They will pick up more points I feel.

They must rue screwing up their quali, would have been interesting to see what the car could do further forward.

Thoroughly enjoyed that race asides from the Kimi retirement. Still not sold on Haas yet. I'll wait until Bahrain to judge them. Overall, usual result with quite the unusual wrap around to get there. I'm okay with this start to the season. Everyone is in the game thoroughly now.

What's your point? That was qualifying, and an awful qualifying format to boot. He managed to finish 6th and wasn't holding up everyone behind him in the process. If that's not having the pace to finish 6th, then I don't know what is.

To be fair they benefitted a lot from the red flag, but they definitely have the pa e to score more points this year. Sadly I don't think they can keep up in the development race over the season and will probably end up Sauber speed by season end.

Still a brilliant accomplishment and really casts a shadow on the last set of new teams and particularly Manor who are still a bit of a joke despite now having the best engine on the grid.

Unpopular Opinion: Rosberg is gonna win the WDC 2016...

2014 was his first shot at a championship and the pressure got to him.

2015 was recovery from the loss at Abu Dhabi...

4 wins in a row now. Let's go Nico. This is your year

Unpopular Opinion: Rosberg is gonna win the WDC 2016...

2014 was his first shot at a championship and the pressure got to him.

2015 was recovery from the loss at Abu Dhabi...

4 wins in a row now. Let's go Nico. This is your year
As much as I want to believe...no.

I don't expect this to continue for too long but for now opening up the tyre choices has certainly been a plus. A lot of variety in strategy:

1ec8526f-1fc2-4968-97b6-7fe71aaf3a53_800.jpg

Really hard to make a prediction that isn't Hamilton this early, but Ferrari may have the pace to mount a proper challenge in the WDC this year with Vettel, at the moment I'd say he's more likely than Rosberg. Don't see anyone else in it but I think it will be a good year this year overall.

I don't expect this to continue for too long but for now opening up the tyre choices has certainly been a plus. A lot of variety in strategy:

1ec8526f-1fc2-4968-97b6-7fe71aaf3a53_800.jpg
So what's the difference between colored background with black outline+letter and black background with colored outline+letter? Is it to show if a new set of tyres got used or a used set?

Alonso's performances until Guttierez nearly killed him were the saving grace for McLaren, I think Jenson is past-due, can't keep up anymore and will retire at the end of the year... Williams seem to have taken a step backwards currently, although time will tell. Ferrari have been sandbagging pretty hard and I'm sure with the right strategy they'll be more than a match for the Mercedes... I think I might actually watch more than 3-4 races this year!

Alonso's performances until Guttierez nearly killed him were the saving grace for McLaren, I think Jenson is past-due, can't keep up anymore and will retire at the end of the year... Williams seem to have taken a step backwards currently, although time will tell. Ferrari have been sandbagging pretty hard and I'm sure with the right strategy they'll be more than a match for the Mercedes... I think I might actually watch more than 3-4 races this year!

I agree with the Jenson part considering this is one of his more favorable tracks. Williams were doing decent with Massa but they fail harder at strategy than Ferrari...almost McLaren levels of failure.

I admit that I never thought much of Jolyon Palmer to begin with, but his stock just bottomed out in my book. He was asked about his eleventh place finish and just missing out on points, and his response was "I saw a yellow flag late in the race and I thought 'yeah, go on, this'll be someone in the wall' ...".

I admit that I never thought much of Jolyon Palmer to begin with, but his stock just bottomed out in my book. He was asked about his eleventh place finish and just missing out on points, and his response was "I saw a yellow flag late in the race and I thought 'yeah, go on, this'll be someone in the wall' ...".
I'm not a fan of Palmer, but what else could a yellow flag mean? Someone is either in a wall, near a wall or facing the wrong way. Not much wrong with his train of thought.

So what's the difference between colored background with black outline+letter and black background with colored outline+letter? Is it to show if a new set of tyres got used or a used set?

Yep - black background is used set, filled in is new I think.

Worth remembering Melbourne is sometimes very weird for showing pace - plenty of times where quick cars here have been nowhere the rest of the season, or vice versa. I suspect Williams have more to give and Red Bull aren't as strong as Daniel's excellent 4th suggests, but we'll see.

Stopped believing in McLaren. Dismal.

Ferrari lost this race rather than Mercedes winning it, so I think it is very much game on if they can start getting strategy right. They don't react well enough and tend to stay very rigid to their plan.

Great for both Grosjean and Haas, a shame we didn't see much of it until the end!!!

Not much wrong with his train of thought.
Aside from a complete lack of concern as to the well-being of a fellow competitor? Okay, their loss is his gain, but what if the yellow had been triggered by a major incident? Nobody wants to benefit from that kind of accident, except, apparently, for Jolyon Palmer, whose first thought is to smirk at the idea.

Stopped believing in McLaren. Dismal.
It was a bum strategy call at the start that did them in. Alonso and Button started alongside one another, so they split the strategy and started Button on softs. They got blindsided by the mediums being a viable strategy at the restart. I think they made the same mistake as so many did yesterday - still thinking like it's 2015. The third compound opens up strategy options.

When you have an irrational hatred of someone, you really do go to some lengths to justify it.

He didn't say he was wishing for a crash. Any driver hopes that a yellow flag or a safety car can change their fortunes.
Aside from a complete lack of concern as to the well-being of a fellow competitor?
Yeah, I'm sure every driver who sees a yellow flag immediately panics about what may have happened.
Okay, their loss is his gain, but what if the yellow had been triggered by a major incident?
Then it would've been double waved yellows or a red flag. That's when you start getting concerned.

Last edited:
Back