2016 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

For those who watched practice, are there any changes/additions to the FOM graphics? I didn't see anything different in FP1, but missed FP2.

The German commentator said there is some kind of marker now that shows whether the driver is using an old or new set of tyres. Haven't noticed it yet, though. Granted, I've only seen a couple of minutes so far.

It will be interesting to see how NBC handles the new qualifying system and commercials. In the past they always took a break half way thru the session but if they do that now they will miss a few cars being eliminated.

The German commentator said there is some kind of marker now that shows whether the driver is using an old or new set of tyres. Haven't noticed it yet, though. Granted, I've only seen a couple of minutes so far.
Sometimes there's a black circle with a coloured letter to mark the tyre choice; other times, it's a coloured circle with a black letter. I'm guessing the latter marks a used set.

Well, I ended up going yesterday, here are some photos
IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4035.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4032.JPG
Weather was absolutely pathetic with wind, rain, clouds, blue sky and sun all occurring at one point or another. Screw you Melbourne, but it was still a great day with the biggest Aus GT field ever, V8 Supercars and even this:
IMG_4014.JPG

It's a replica of the circuit itself, very nicely done.
I'm so happy that Melbourne has this incredible event.

Has coverage of fp3 started yet? I'm on nbc sn and just says coverage will begin shortly... I thought it was supposed to start at the top of the hour?

Great start to FP3, with a Haas and Manor colliding in the pitlane. Hopefully THAT is not a sign of things to come

I have a strong feeling Redbull and possibly Torro Rosso have leap frogged Williams.

Ferrari and Mercedes are likely to be very close.

Ricciardo did his best time 30 mins before the end, which suggests to me the track evolution will make that alot faster, Bottas only went slightly faster at the end of the session, given they all are doing faster times then they did last year in Qual and they are using supersofts this suggests they went pretty hard on those laps.

It is very cool right now though so this race may not reflect the season order.

I also think Force India are sand bagging, winter times suggest they are atleast on par with redbull so I would take note of this.

Last edited:
Red Bull appear to have messed this up quite badly. As have Haas and Manor.

How did Haas mess up though? Seems like they just never had a chance to get a good lap in due to traffic. They never got to truly show their race pace.

If there is any merit in this new system the coverage is completely ruining it - FOM didn't have the elimination graphics up initially, cameras aren't following relevant cars and Crofty seems to be 90 seconds behind everything and is confusing me even more than usual :lol:

It just seems like the first two or three drivers to get eliminated in Q3 are not getting enough time to get clear track for a complete fast lap. Not fair. Stupid system.

I'm happy with McLaren's performance so far. P3 and P7 at the conclusion of Q1. Although it doesn't mean much, it's a nice little achievement given where they were a year ago.

It just seems like the first two or three drivers to get eliminated in Q3 are not getting enough time to get clear track for a complete fast lap. Not fair.
The responsibility is with the drivers and teams to judge it as best they can. That's what caught the Haas drivers in particular out.

Well, for the first time ever Q1 was interesting, so I'm pleased. The coverage is still a bit muddled but it's easy to follow even without graphics.

Back