2016 Russian Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
After a decent race in China where Nico Rosberg stormed to his 6th win a row, the question now turns to whether Lewis Hamilton can start to take the fight to him. Lewis is so far the only person to win this race and after the start he's had, someone else's name may appear on the trophy for the first time. Ferrari are still yet to conquer their issues but could this be the start of the end of those issues? We kick off the European section of the season in Sochi. Prepare for the 3rd Russian Grand Prix.

formula-1-sochi-circuit-map-olympic-venues.jpg

Circuit Length: 5.848km (3.364 Miles)
Race Length: 309.732km (192.459 Miles)
Laps: 56
Lap Record: 1:40.071 (Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 2015)
Tyres: ...

Sky Sports Classic Race Schedule:
Tuesday - Hungary 2003
Wednesday - Bahrain 2007
Thursday - Singapore 2008
Sunday - Singapore 2011

2015 Result:
1st: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
2nd: Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
3rd: Sergio Perez (Force India Mercedes)

This track really needed the ultra soft tyre to spice things up. It's been a very boring race every year and the track layout feels so uninspiring. If what I've heard is right the ticket sales aren't particularly great either.

If Lewis can buy a good start he might be able to give Rosberg some work finally.

It's a bit like Valencia just with more interesting scenery. Not expecting anything shocking, I wish it would rain there!

It's a bit like Valencia just with more interesting scenery. Not expecting anything shocking, I wish it would rain there!
It is easier to overtake here than at Valencia. Turns 2, 4, and 13 are legitimate places to pass, and last years GP was interesting. Like Valencia it does have one fantastic section (Turn 3, as opposed to the section between the last two hairpins at Valencia). Can't deny I'd like some rain though.

This track really needed the ultra soft tyre to spice things up.
I think that was the original plan, but then the race was moved forward from October to May. Sochi might be in the far south of Russia, but it's still susceptible to cold weather. Now, however, the race is held as the Russian summer, so the temperatures will be warmer. So I think Pirelli held off introducing the supersoft until they got some data on a warmer race.

If what I've heard is right the ticket sales aren't particularly great either.
That's possibly a by-product of the move to May - the last race was only six months ago.

Looking forward to seeing how the event goes at this time of year, with the different tyres. Hoping Hamilton can finally get Sunday together properly and not let Rosberg run away with it. Either way, hopefully Ferrari wont make it easy for either of them, I'm longing for a championship like '07 or '08 with two constructors really going at it race after race.

I'm so glad this race is at a decent time for me. The races during the European leg of the season tend to start at around 9:30pm for me, which works out perfectly. Not getting in the way of the afternoon and right before I go to bed, but not so late that I'm exhausted on Monday.

Looking forward to seeing how the event goes at this time of year, with the different tyres. Hoping Hamilton can finally get Sunday together properly and not let Rosberg run away with it. Either way, hopefully Ferrari wont make it easy for either of them, I'm longing for a championship like '07 or '08 with two constructors really going at it race after race.

I'm so glad this race is at a decent time for me. The races during the European leg of the season tend to start at around 9:30pm for me, which works out perfectly. Not getting in the way of the afternoon and right before I go to bed, but not so late that I'm exhausted on Monday.
Yeah, sucks when it's Canada, US, Mexico and Brazil though.

I think Lewis may have figured out how to start the car off the grid again. So as long as he puts it on the front row, I think Nico may have a tough time.

The Mercs haven't had a good start all season, if the Ferrari's didn't get a rare bad start in bahrain they probably would of won the race.

I think if Vettel can start 3rd or better he might win, from this.

I personnaly dont think that Ferrari is that close to Mercedes, sure they are closer to them that last year but I still find that there's a gap that can't be overcome by the natural course of a race. If something happen then yeah maybe ferrari can manage to stay ahead but without a little help, I still think Mercedes is comfortably ahead and I still think that it's either Rosberg or Lewis that gonna win it at the end of the season.

I see Redbull as a meanier treat because they usually have the best chassis by far so once they'll have a good engine they can pretty much dominate everywhere.

A 3 way fight with RBR-Mercedes-Ferrari would be awesome :D If that happen tho, Rosberg is in a really good position with the points he rack up already.

The Mercs haven't had a good start all season, if the Ferrari's didn't get a rare bad start in bahrain they probably would of won the race.

I think if Vettel can start 3rd or better he might win, from this.

Lewis had a good start last GP.

I personnaly dont think that Ferrari is that close to Mercedes, sure they are closer to them that last year but I still find that there's a gap that can't be overcome by the natural course of a race. If something happen then yeah maybe ferrari can manage to stay ahead but without a little help, I still think Mercedes is comfortably ahead and I still think that it's either Rosberg or Lewis that gonna win it at the end of the season.

I see Redbull as a meanier treat because they usually have the best chassis by far so once they'll have a good engine they can pretty much dominate everywhere.

A 3 way fight with RBR-Mercedes-Ferrari would be awesome :D If that happen tho, Rosberg is in a really good position with the points he rack up already.

At Bahrain Kimi showed pace that was enough to challenge the Mercs in the race but the poor start ruined that.

At China both Ferrari's where carrying damage so it's hard to workout the pace difference there.

No doubt the Mercedes is the better package but there hasn't been a clean race to work out the actual gap properly, the first two rounds did suggest Ferrari are in the window that allows them to challenge Mercedes though.

Lewis had a good start last GP.
Well, off the line at least...
That's possibly a by-product of the move to May - the last race was only six months ago.
This was the move that killed the Turkish GP. It was originally held on a national holiday weekend, so sales were high, but the move to May put it on a normal weekend, so less people were able to go to the race.

This was the move that killed the Turkish GP. It was originally held on a national holiday weekend, so sales were high, but the move to May put it on a normal weekend, so less people were able to go to the race.
Sochi is one of the Black Sea resorts - it has always been popular as a vacation destination because it is much warmer than the rest of the country.

At Bahrain Kimi showed pace that was enough to challenge the Mercs in the race but the poor start ruined that.

At China both Ferrari's where carrying damage so it's hard to workout the pace difference there.

No doubt the Mercedes is the better package but there hasn't been a clean race to work out the actual gap properly, the first two rounds did suggest Ferrari are in the window that allows them to challenge Mercedes though.

I dont really agree about Bahrain, by the time Kimi was out of traffics (he lost some place at start if my memory is right) Rosberg had a big enough gap to just do whatever he wants. He didnt need to push anytime during the GP.

I'll be sold on Ferrari chance once we'll have both Mercedes ahead after lap one with Ferrari's sticking with them for the whole race. So far I'm not that impressed.

I really need to find myself someone with Foxtel so I can watch these races.
I've not watched a Race this year yet!!!

Head down any time you want, it you leave now you should make it.
I think Ten have the race this week though.

Head down any time you want, it you leave now you should make it.
I think Ten have the race this week though.
Ooh, yay, its on Ten.

Otherwise sure!! I'll just driving the Polo now :lol:

Jenson Button reckons track temperatures will be up as much as 20°C compared to last year.

I see they've gotten rid of the Markelov Marker on the exit of Turn 2 ...

@prisonermonkeys this is becoming too easy now
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124035/palmer-fears-russia-problems-unfixable
outpaced by Sirotkin in his first go in the car? I mean, I did give Jolyon the benefit of the doubt before seeing him in action, but he is now starting to prove PM's points...
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, I think you have to make some allowance for the quality of the car and the individual testing programmes. I say that not in Palmer's defence, but because replacing him is not a decision Renault will enter into lightly. Especially just four races into the season. It doesn't help that Renault were talking about Esteban Ocon and Nicholas Latifi having a future with the team almost as soon as they acquired Lotus. As I have said before, I got the distinct impression that Palmer was racing for his future from day one. At the end of the day, it will come down to whether or not he is meeting the team's performance targets, and we have no way of knowing that.

Taken purely at face value, it's hard to justify keeping him after FP1. He was nearly a second slower than Sirotkin, who was only driving a Formula One car for the second time (and hadn't driven one in eighteen months). While I am aware Palmer spun on his last lap, his sector times up until then put him well down on Sirotkin.

I know it's all fun and games to watch someone with more money and opportunity than talent perform accordingly, but surely he must have a serious problem if it means he's far slower than someone who hasn't driven his car before today, while he has months and miles behind the wheel. He can't really be that bad.

Back