FIA considering closed cockpit F1 in the future?

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 664 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
This is very interesting. I guess Massa's freak accident and Henry Surtees' tragedy may have something to do with these tests:

Last edited:
Looks like it.
One major step ahead on safety. 👍

But if this implemented in the near future, the driver will have trouble in rain and sticky tyre rubber shrad.

Last edited:
Looks like it.
One major step ahead on safety. 👍

But if this implemented in the near future, the driver will have trouble in rain and sticky tyre rubber shrad.

The cockpits need tear-off strips. :sly:

I doubt it's going to happen. Closed-canopy Formula 1 cars will only be harder for the driver to get out of than the current designs.

The cars would look so much cooler with closed pit cockpits imo. 👍 If this is gonna happen I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

It'd likely be like the X1 in GT5's cockpit, I'm guessing from a safety standpoint to get out as fast as possible it'd include a sort of 'pop off' feature to allow the driver to get rid of the canopy and bail.

I think this will happen, it will have instant emergency pop off from inside and outside.
If designed cleverly it could show more of the driver if it became part of the car structure at the sides maybe, just enough to show shoulders/arms perhaps.
It would make F1 cars faster too.

I wanted to see this not cause of safety issues, but to make the cars more areodynamic which means faster speeds.

If they are to make it be safe they can to what they do on speed boats and make the cockpit detach from the rest in a strong bubble like capusel.

The cockpits need tear-off strips. :sly:

Giant tear-off strips. :P
Now the rain.

If they are to make it be safe they can to what they do on speed boats and make the cockpit detach from the rest in a strong bubble like capusel.

Well, they (F1 cars) do have carbon monoque. ;)
Adding that will make it the same, i suppose.

The canopy wouldn't even have to be fully closed, just high enough to deflect any debris away and with an open top exiting the cockpit wouldn't be a problem. Basically take a bubble canopy and saw the top off to leave a hole for the driver to jump out.

This is very interesting. I guess Massa's freak accident and David Surtees' tragedy may have something to do with these tests:

Normally I'd let this slide, but out of respect to the dead, his name was Henry Surtees. As for the closed cockpit design, I hope it doesn't happen in F1. Autosport made some compelling arguements against it when it was first suggested and I fully agreed with them at the time.

The canopy wouldn't even have to be fully closed, just high enough to deflect any debris away and with an open top exiting the cockpit wouldn't be a problem. Basically take a bubble canopy and saw the top off to leave a hole for the driver to jump out.

I don't know about it being "no problem", making the right amount of deflection and covering the driver fully would be difficult while allowing room for the driver to get out of it still.
The canopy would still have to cover the sides to help avoid accidents like Henry Surtees' which feature wheels or debris hitting from the side.

The other problem with canopies is what happens when the car rolls over or another car is launched over the front? I'm also wondering whether canopies which feature holes or gaps would suffer in strength? Spreading the energy over the full canopy must be much more effective.

This is certainly not an easy change in design and its going to need a lot of R&D spent on it, plus F1 cars are probably going to have to change quite a bit.

Last edited:
1351101.jpg

Protos F2 car.

The only issue around safety I can see is if a car is on its lid, it would be hard for the driver to get out. While not much more difficult for the drivers to get out than currently, its a step in the wrong direction.

Rain probably wont be a problem. I remember Karun Chandhok explaining during a practice session that rain doesnt affect the drivers because at pretty much any speed over 100kph rain just streams off their visors anyway. I dont see this being different from a bubble.

All they need to do is build a windscreen up high enough that any possible debris would get deflected over the driver's head.

I wouldn't mind seeing something being implemented like on the X1.

An ejector seat would be too dangerous for ground usage. All you need is a quick release mechanism to pop it off. In terms of an upside down car, it would not really be any worse than it is now, you would need to flip the car over first regardless.

The only issue I can think of would be in the rain. If you have tried to drive the X1 in the rain then you will know what I'm talking about.

I dont really think the rain in GT5 is actually any good. If rain hits the windscreen of a car at 400kph then it practically vapourises. It streams off extremely fast. Go on the motorway in the rain, get up to about 120kph, turn your wipers off. The heavier the rain, the less you need to use your wipers. Also, its pretty much the same as how it is in the rain today anyway. You cant really see anything because of the spray, and that may only go away with wheel arches.

I doubt it's going to happen. Closed-canopy Formula 1 cars will only be harder for the driver to get out of than the current designs.

Perhaps small explosive charges to blow the canopy off of its joints in an emergency situation, like those found on the gullwing doors on the SLS AMG, oculd work in getting the canopy off in the case of a serious emergency like fire, driver injury.

Perhaps small explosive charges to blow the canopy off of its joints in an emergency situation, like those found on the gullwing doors on the SLS AMG, oculd work in getting the canopy off in the case of a serious emergency like fire, driver injury.

The difference is the fuel used in F1 cars is much stronger than traditional car fuels. What if this was to happen during a fuel leak? I know a fuel leak is extremely unlikely, but the FIA will take this into consideration. Plus there is the difficulties of taking explosives through customs.

And if the car is upside down?

Back