2016 SuperGT ThreadTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Godarm
  • 343 comments
Even if they become hybrids at some point, it's by no means for fuel efficiency. It's all about the amount of power you can squeeze out of the car. More power=more awesome, clearly.

Even if they become hybrids at some point, it's by no means for fuel efficiency. It's all about the amount of power you can squeeze out of the car. More power=more awesome, clearly.
If by hybrid, you mean LMP1 hybrid then yes...maybe.

Hybrids are not as awesome as full on engine though.

Fixed :)

If you have to go to Wikipedia to confirm what motors GT500 cars are using, I have to assume you didn't watch the 2015 season?
No I didn't, but I did watch some clips just now and yeah, they're still alright I guess.

When saying motorsport is dying I'm thinking about Formula One, which has been completely dead to me the last 3-4 years, and other forms of auto racing tend to follow in F1's footsteps (DRS being featured in DTM is a good example.)

Super GT still seems very much alive though so I might have to watch the 2016 season!

No I didn't, but I did watch some clips just now and yeah, they're still alright I guess.

When saying motorsport is dying I'm thinking about Formula One, which has been completely dead to me the last 3-4 years, and other forms of auto racing tend to follow in F1's footsteps (DRS being featured in DTM is a good example.)

Super GT still seems very much alive though so I might have to watch the 2016 season!
I don't think Super GT had a single bad race last season. Sure, it uses success ballast, but I don't know of many other series that have 6 way battles for first place in the championship in the final event of the season.

You can find all of the 2015 rounds on NISMO TV, all with English commentary. If you like racing, it's worth watching.

No it isn't.
Yes it is.

All series should be forced to use small engines. That's where real world development takes place. These are able to crank out about 800hp in unrestricted form, it was an absolutely fantastic switch.

I have a bit of breaking news regarding Honda's GT500 lineups - it's more of a scoop, since it's being confirmed on the 12th, but the gist is:

• Kunimitsu and Nakajima retain the 100 and 64 respectively, and look to be sticking with the same lineups.
  • Kogure appears to be shuffling from Drago to REAL RACING, 5/8 Q2 slots put him and Drago at the top of the Honda pile last year, so if confirmed they should be a very real threat to the rest of the grid.
  • Hideki Muto will fill the Drago slot, and Oliver Turvey seems the most realistic candidate to run alongside him.
Still no ARTA news, which only adds fuel to the fire regarding their BMW rumour. They have been particularly quiet over the last couple of months. We'll see the confirmed lineups early on Friday though, so not long to go.

GAINER AMG pictures:

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

It's scoop central tonight - Honda ran their last GT500 test without the hybrid system, which can only suggest that they're planning on scrapping the system for 2016. If they go ahead it could completely change the fortunes of the NSX.

Bo
I have a bit of breaking news regarding Honda's GT500 lineups - it's more of a scoop, since it's being confirmed on the 12th, but the gist is:

• Kunimitsu and Nakajima retain the 100 and 64 respectively, and look to be sticking with the same lineups.
  • Kogure appears to be shuffling from Drago to REAL RACING, 5/8 Q2 slots put him and Drago at the top of the Honda pile last year, so if confirmed they should be a very real threat to the rest of the grid.
  • Hideki Muto will fill the Drago slot, and Oliver Turvey seems the most realistic candidate to run alongside him.
Still no ARTA news, which only adds fuel to the fire regarding their BMW rumour. They have been particularly quiet over the last couple of months. We'll see the confirmed lineups early on Friday though, so not long to go.

GAINER AMG pictures:

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg
1. I'm sorry but I keep seeing this logo on the car every time I look at it
612954.png

2. An ARTA BMW sounds most intriguing, yet having grown up with the ARTA NSX in the GT series and having owned an RC version, it is kind of shocking as well.

Bo

GAINER AMG pictures:

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg
An Arta BMW....what what what?? In GT500, or 300?

If this is true, I will surely miss seeing an orange NSX on the grid. To me that's one of the top 5 most iconic Super GT cars of all time.

An Arta BMW....what what what?? In GT500, or 300?
Both.

The thought behind it is they've struggled with Honda for a while, and dropping the CRZ means they have little choice for GT300. By going BMW, they could run an M4 in GT500, and simply purchase an M6 GT3 for GT300.

We'll know for definite in the next 48 hours.

You can't plonk a DTM car in GT500 or vice versa, but they share the same tub, so you could very easily carry over body panels.

Bo
Both.

The thought behind it is they've struggled with Honda for a while, and dropping the CRZ means they have little choice for GT300. By going BMW, they could run an M4 in GT500, and simply purchase an M6 GT3 for GT300.

We'll know for definite in the next 48 hours.
That would be a very interesting turn of events in SuperGT.

I have to say though, it would be a little odd seeing the GT3 spec M6 playing the role of "little brother" to the M4.

The new F1 engines are great, it's the complexity of the hybrid systems that's the issue. Terrible parity and incredibly unreliable.

They're horrible, the sound is awful. Indycar nailed the V6T, while F1's got a fart generator.
I think it's the first time in a couple of decades they've sounded like proper racing cars. Still think they're a bit too loud.
@Bo, has there been any word on the ARTA BMW story?
They've confirmed Honda for GT500 with Matsuura and Nojiri - GT300 is still open.

Bo
I think it's the first time in several decades they've sounded like proper racing cars.

They've confirmed Honda for GT500 with Matsuura and Nojiri - GT300 is still open.
The V10's and V12's were the best engines in racing history. The V6T's could be good, but only if they were like the 80's.

Bo
I think it's the first time in a couple of decades they've sounded like proper racing cars. Still think they're a bit too loud.

As much as i like the Arta NSX, the idea of an M4 in GT500 had me quite excited, and now I feel a little disappointed :lol: oh well, there's always next year.

I really do hope the Hondas can run at the front more consistently this year.

Back