2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Racing happens. With racing, as always, there's been a dark side. Motorsport is not a gentle sport. Its not like ball and stick sports where the worst that happens is a career-ending injury. In motorsport, there is much more danger, much more risk. But thats why we love it. Drivers and fans alike. We love the speed. We love the danger. That said, every time the drivers strap in, be it INDY, F1, NASCAR, or even the drivers at your local Karting track, know that could be the last time they will strap in. It's a shame, but death in Motorsport, in a way, is good. It allows for more development, more progress, and more safety. As are many other people, I'm shocked and depressed to see Justin go so soon. But on the silver lining, there will be a lot of heavy stress onto looking into the helmets, and cockpits safety and durability. Rest in peace Justin, my heart goes out to Sage, and Wilson's family. I don't believe in a higher power, but if there is one, I'm sure that Wilson, Wheldon, Bianchi, Earnhardt, Leffler, Senna, and so many others are turning laps right now. Aside from this freak accident, the race was fantastic, and a death should not end INDY's presence at Pocono.

But the main focus is on Justin. May he rest peacefully, he was doing what he loved to do, racing. RIP
A shame that a shadow was cast over such a great race. Unlike Las Vegas, if Pocono is dropped, I doubt the accident would be the reason. I'm not sure how, exactly, but safety should improve. That is the silver lining, if it may be called such.

CNN21diWoAAPwJZ.jpg

:(

Got the news just before I logged in and my heart just sank. I was hoping this was not the news to hear but at the same time I knew it there was always the possibility. My thoughts are with his family right now.

Edit: I would also like to add some hope for Sage to hopefully recover from this. As much as I disapproved of some of his on-track actions, even I don't ever wish the pain he likely feels right now.

Trying to get this thread on topic again since they have now split-

What do the points look like headed to Sonoma?
Montoya leads Rahal by 34 points. Sonoma is double points, which puts the top 6 in mathematical contention.

I believe Rahal is only what, 34 points behind?

The show must go on, sadly. I send my thoughts and prayers to all whom have known and loved Justin Wilson. Motorsports are as dangerous as any other sport. You can only do so much to curb most of the dangers involved in racing. All I know is that the IndyCar Series grid lost a quality talent in Justin Wilson.

You've got to be kidding me, my CBS affiliate just showed Wilson's crash in full and uncensored. Have some :censored:ing respect.

And the national news showed it uncensored as well (before the announcement of his death, but still...)

Unlike Las Vegas, if Pocono is dropped, I doubt the accident would be the reason.

Pocono's issue was (is) attendance figures, a weekend that wasn't really suitable for a race until they moved the date back to August (July 4th weekend is what it was for the first two races) and a lack of promotion of the event; almost nowhere in my area (Stroudsburg) was there a promotional campaign for IndyCar.

There was (and still is) more stuff related to NASCAR still up from the Windows 10 400 or whatever the last one was at both the track and in the areas around it. It also doesn't help when you have Negative Nancy for a track president (Igdalsky... specifically after last year's race. Most of the fans booed when he was introduced this time...)

MatskiMonk
There are many real and persistent dangers in Motorsport, and whatever good it may or may not do to react to specific low probability situations somebody will die again in motorsport, I hope it's not Justin Wilson, but it will happen.

So, is this suppose to make somebody feel better? If anything it sounds callous. Many motorsport injuries and deaths are the results of poor safety measures that should have been noticed and rectified beforehand. That fact seems to elude you. You act as though every single racing injury or death is completely unforseeable and random. Thinking that may make you feel better, but it doesnt make it the truth.

You've got to be kidding me, my CBS affiliate just showed Wilson's crash in full and uncensored. Have some :censored:ing respect.

And the national news showed it uncensored as well (before the announcement of his death, but still...)

CNN showed Dan Wheldon's fatal accident uncensored and included footage of an onboard camera affixed to his car about a billion times the day after he died as well... It still sickens me when that happens to nowadays.

As for the Points battle, I can see any of the Top 6 have a look in, though Dixon, Rahal & Newgarden have been historically strong at Sonoma and if the race ends up being won or lost on fuel mileage, Dixon's a shoe-in IMO (That's how he won there last year).

You act as though every single racing injury or death is completely unforseeable and random.

There's a higher mathematical chance of people being hit by a bus putting their bin out then there is deaths in racing, yes things need to be safer, but for our technologies they're about as safe as they are going to be without some kneejerk reaction that potentially could harm drivers in other ways,

Right, someone get the Tyre barriers out any straight longer then 100 meters needs a chicane.

Because 1994.

So, is this suppose to make somebody feel better? If anything it sounds callous. Many motorsport injuries and deaths are the results of poor safety measures that should have been noticed and rectified beforehand. That fact seems to elude you. You act as though every single racing injury or death is completely unforseeable and random. Thinking that may make you feel better, but it doesnt make it the truth.
Dale Earnhardt Sr's should have been prevented too. The hans device was available at that time, but most drivers didn't wear them because it wasn't required and they thought it was uncomfortable.

Dale Earnhardt Sr's should have been prevented too. The hans device was available at that time, but most drivers didn't wear them because it wasn't required and they thought it was uncomfortable.
His seatbelt broke. No other safety device would have prevented his death.

I heard that his neck was snapped from the impact... but really? A seatbelt failure? I have never heard of that happening before... :/

I heard that his neck was snapped from the impact... but really? A seatbelt failure? I have never heard of that happening before... :/

From what I can recall reading about Dale Sr's accident, three things were key in the unfortunate result:

1. The seat he used on that day was old, had very little padding and was illegally mounted too close to the steering wheel. Even if he survived the neck injuries, his chest would've been severely damaged from the crash.
  2. The Seat-belts Dale Sr used were past their expiration date to the tune of 3, possibly even 5 YEARS and allegedly shredded on impact (Which is how his body acted with enough force to sever the brain stem).
  3. Dale Sr famously wore an open-face helmet and did not wear any kind of neck restraint device aside from a rudimentary foam-filled "Collar" (Though no one in NASCAR had even heard of a HANS device, let alone used one at that time).
If Dale Earnhardt Sr had run at Daytona in 2001 with a fully legal car/NASCAR forced him to make the changes needed, he would likely be alive today.

From what I can recall reading about Dale Sr's accident, three things were key in the unfortunate result:

1. The seat he used on that day was old, had very little padding and was illegally mounted too close to the steering wheel. Even if he survived the neck injuries, his chest would've been severely damaged from the crash.
  2. The Seat-belts Dale Sr used were past their expiration date to the tune of 3, possibly even 5 YEARS and allegedly shredded on impact (Which is how his body acted with enough force to sever the brain stem).
  3. Dale Sr famously wore an open-face helmet and did not wear any kind of neck restraint device aside from a rudimentary foam-filled "Collar" (Though no one in NASCAR had even heard of a HANS device, let alone used one at that time).
If Dale Earnhardt Sr had run at Daytona in 2001 with a fully legal car/NASCAR forced him to make the changes needed, he would likely be alive today.
But then Austin Dillon probably wouldn't be. :/ it takes something bad to happen for people to do anything about it. I hope the 2018 model will be a significant improvement to the current one.

Wasn't Dale sr also carrying a neck injury from Atlanta? Bone shards in specific areas?

Also if he was attacking instead of blocking the story may also be quite different,

In regard to news channels showing the crash, I am fine with it. When Wheldon died I figured it out on the news. I wanted to know what happened and they showed it. As long as the facts are straight, and they aren't desecrating the driver, I don't think there's anything wrong with showing the crash. Heck, id encourage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back