2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Driver Safety should always be priority #1, even over Driver Comfort, so if it gets a little hot but they're protected from incidents like this, then it's worth it to put a canopy over the cars

I think the big thing a lot of people keep saying is that these are freak accidents. People still died so we should attempt everything we can to prevent their reoccourance.

I fail to understand why this isn't sinking in? I don't watch racing to see people die or have monster accidents, I watch it to see close racing and wether that is at 100 mph or 200 mph doesn't make much difference to me if the competition is good.

If you're worried about people turning off because there's not any huge crashes then honestly I'm glad to see them go because that's not what racing is about.

IMG_0613.JPG

Why not like this? Problem solved.
I don't think people will like that but yes that's another great idea

Driver Safety should always be priority #1, even over Driver Comfort, so if it gets a little hot but they're protected from incidents like this, then it's worth it to put a canopy over the cars
There's zero airflow in those canopies, mostly because it's not needed for such a short race. The design would need modifying or there would have to be an addition of an A/C unit.

IMG_0613.JPG

Why not like this? Problem solved.

The problem I see with this is ventilation. Yes, driver safety over driver comfort, but in the end if the driver passes out from heat exhaustion..... What's the difference?

Yes, I'm sure it's possible, but do we REALLY need to do this?

I think the big thing a lot of people keep saying is that these are freak accidents. People still died so we should attempt everything we can to prevent their reoccourance.

If it is not a freak accident then it is systemic. If it systemic the only ethical thing they can do is shut down the series until a proven solution is put in place otherwise it's gross negligence in the name of entertainment.

This was a freak accident. Motorsport is dangerous.

The problem I see with this is ventilation. Yes, driver safety over driver comfort, but in the end if the driver passes out from heat exhaustion..... What's the difference?

Yes, I'm sure it's possible, but do we REALLY need to do this?
Because drivers in closed cars constantly pass out.... come on man, ventilation is nothing alien.

See the thing is for me a canopy is not a solution to the problem. If it was Allen Simonsen would still be with us. Freak accidents happen and if we enclose open wheel cars in a canopy it could cause more people ms then it solves, what if there is a fire? Admittedly I can't remember the last time one of these Indycars went up in flames but it's a consideration, on the other hand you can fit fire suppression systems like LMP1 has (at least from my understanding they have them fitted). I think LMP1 holds the real solution if there are any changes to be made and that is enclosing the front of the car, like they have with the rear, in my head a larger piece would have settled down faster and not been bouncing around as much. I'm thinking something that looks like an R18 would be the best "solution"

I'm at a crossroad as to weather that is necessary though racing is dangerous, should changes come? Of course they should but I don't think enclosing anything is really the answer Indycar should be going for. I think the real thing that I'm left wondering personally is why is nosecone so stiff, was Kimball's nose just going though crumple zones on Hawkworth's car or was that another stiff nosecone causing problems? (Legit question for those who know, I would have though that side pod was meant as a stiff crash box like the chassis but Rahal's accident is making me wonder)

See the thing is for me a canopy is not a solution to the problem. If it was Allen Simonsen would still be with us. Freak accidents happen and if we enclose open wheel cars in a canopy it could cause more people ms then it solves, what if there is a fire? Admittedly I can't remember the last time one of these Indycars went up in flames but it's a consideration, on the other hand you can fit fire suppression systems like LMP1 has (at least from my understanding they have them fitted). I think LMP1 holds the real solution if there are any changes to be made and that is enclosing the front of the car, like they have with the rear, in my head a larger piece would have settled down faster and not been bouncing around as much. I'm thinking something that looks like an R18 would be the best "solution"

I'm at a crossroad as to weather that is necessary though racing is dangerous, should changes come? Of course they should but I don't think enclosing anything is really the answer Indycar should be going for. I think the real thing that I'm left wondering personally is why is nosecone so stiff, was Kimball's nose just going though crumple zones on Hawkworth's car or was that another stiff nosecone causing problems? (Legit question for those who know, I would have though that side pod was meant as a stiff crash box like the chassis but Rahal's accident is making me wonder)
Woah... woah.. let's not compare hitting a tree to getting hit in the head with debris.

Woah... woah.. let's not compare hitting a tree to getting hit in the head with debris.
Wait what I thought he just went into the barrier? I thought it was the G's that eventually got to him didn't he get out of the car under his own power and was talking to the workers?

Wait what I thought he just went into the barrier? I thought it was the G's that eventually got to him didn't he get out of the car under his own power and was talking to the workers?
His aeorta was severed in the collision.

I think the hardest part about the situation is that there really isn't an easy solution that you can incorporate over night. An enclosed cockpit would be the most sensible route, but even that isn't easy as you need to address quite a few things and pretty much design the car around it before you can put it into practice..

I think the best option would be something along the lines of this render (a jetfighter style canopy won't work).

iacoski_ferrari_FX-i1_concept_KUB_1200x750px_SShotsketch_black.jpg

Obviously there are issues with the rendering, but it gives you a good idea of how a closed-cockpit, open wheel car could look.

His aeorta was severed in the collision.
Hmmm I'm going back through some articles and haven't seen that yet. Also from the videos there is no way he hit a tree. Although if it was his aeorta as you say then that ruins my first argument
Also shows why I shouldn't post based on two year old memory

Last edited:
I think the hardest part about the situation is that there really isn't an easy solution that you can incorporate over night. An enclosed cockpit would be the most sensible route, but even that isn't easy as you need to address quite a few things and pretty much design the car around it before you can put it into practice..

I think the best option would be something along the lines of this render (a jetfighter style canopy won't work).

iacoski_ferrari_FX-i1_concept_KUB_1200x750px_SShotsketch_black.jpg

Obviously there are issues with the rendering, but it gives you a good idea of how a closed-cockpit, open wheel car could look.
This would be freaking awesome. :drool:

If it is not a freak accident then it is systemic. If it systemic the only ethical thing they can do is shut down the series until a proven solution is put in place otherwise it's gross negligence in the name of entertainment.

This was a freak accident. Motorsport is dangerous.

This was not a freak accident. Open cockpit drivers having near misses or getting hit in the head by debris or even wild life has been going on as long as there has been racing.

The risk of getting struck in the head by a piece of debri in an open cockpit car is a very real persistent danger.

NASCAR pit crews now wear helmets because of a 'freak accident'. Freak accident or not, safety changes should be made so the chances of such incidents leading to serious injury again are reduced.

The Canopies would have to have AC or a Duct like Nascar. Also it would change anything as in when the car flips over as drivers can't get out now if the car does flip. The Safest way now would be to have Dallara make a chassis that has the Canopy apart of it.

This was not a freak accident. Open cockpit drivers having near misses or getting hit in the head by debris or even wild life has been going on as long as there has been racing.

The risk of getting struck in the head by a piece of debri in an open cockpit car is a very real persistent danger.

NASCAR pit crews now wear helmets because of a 'freak accident'. Freak accident or not, safety changes should be made so the chances of such incidents leading to serious injury again are reduced.

It makes little difference to you as you won't be watching it for a good long while, but yes, it's always been a real and persistent danger. There are many real and persistent dangers in Motorsport, and whatever good it may or may not do to react to specific low probability situations somebody will die again in motorsport, I hope it's not Justin Wilson, but it will happen.

Severity*Frequency*Preventative Action = Risk Score. When you start reacting to certain events at a given risk score, you should react to them all anything else is hypocritical and negligent, this is the way I see it, this is the way industry works.

Or you know, being stuck upside down would be nearly impossible to get out of.
You mean like in every closed prototype or closed Top Fuel Dragster?
Come on, really, I mean there's always a risk never mind the system, but adding a light, easy to open canopy would completely remove the danger of debris.

Come on, really, I mean there's always a risk never mind the system, but adding a light, easy to open canopy would completely remove the danger of debris.
Doors can be popped off on LMP's.

Yeah, you can't necessarily put doors on an Indycar, you'd get a Lexan Canopy at best. Also, lay off the salt mister, you're acting childish with you're responses.

Pretty much a given.

I would say be prepared for the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back