2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
Highly doubt it. Team probably doesn't see any of it anyway.

It's a joke, but if we want to be serious, seems like a silly think to do just for PR.
We were so focused on Hyundai, we didn't think that Kia would try their hand...

Can't blame us, one S. Korean company has actually done Motorsports stuff since their big rise after the recession, the other has just done a great job of making entry level cars that are build pretty well and cost reasonably well. Plus with the N division, you'd think Hyundai would want to expand into a touring car series, especially one that uses the engine formula that they run in the Genesis.

But it's quite amazing how some groups could be underestimated. I mean I never believed Volvo would join until it happened, so really I think this would be an even greater story.

Kia does have a presence in other motorsport series, like the STCC (or whatever they are calling themselves thus year).

Volvo Touring Car Championship or the more noteworthy series Hyundai has done such as WRC, or even the more limited stuff like Pikes Peak and Drifting. My point is that STCC isn't really going to sell cars globally, which is why KIA has approached groups like NASCAR and now VASC. The point really makes itself.

Supercars would be a good fit for KIA if they're trying to boost Australian sales, but the series doesn't really fit Hyundai's current focus. They looked at major international series like F1 and LMP1 before deciding on WRC, so a national series with relatively low international exposure like Supercars probably isn't on their radar right now. They seem to be aiming for a World Championship for marketing reasons.

Supercars would be a good fit for KIA if they're trying to boost Australian sales, but the series doesn't really fit Hyundai's current focus. They looked at major international series like F1 and LMP1 before deciding on WRC, so a national series with relatively low international exposure like Supercars probably isn't on their radar right now. They seem to be aiming for a World Championship for marketing reasons.

Yeah but Supercars is suppose to be an International series, that happens to still be stuck in it's local series roots. To me it's the same as NASCAR, super popular domestically, wishes to be known and seen internationally.

Yeah but the N division or even the Genesis line would have worked with Supercars or at least something touring car like. The focus seems to only be WRC. Which as history has shown is a Hyundai thing anyways. So perhaps it was always a long shot to see them here? Maybe we should just start bouncing off the wall ideas considering the brands that actually decide to show up, compared to those that most of us think are likely to show up.

Two years ago:
“Kia Motors Australia has not been approached with regard to any involvement in the Supercar racing series,” KMAu Chief Operating Officer Damien Meredith said. “There are no plans for a motorsport program within KMAu.”

My, how things change.

The more I look at this track, I just dont know now.
NewcastleCircuitMap.jpg

Back