2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
Hard to Blame SVG for leaving a team that changed on him, he signed up for a top team using ford's she comes in and changes to some unproven machinery normally that would be enough to make a contract invalid but apprently it wasn't so he put it into his own hands.

and he was right to do it, Erebus has yet to be anywhere near as good as the team she bought was since she took over and changed cars.
Since Betty took over the team at the end of 2012, the two remaining drivers, Holdsworth & Slade, left, as did over 60 staff, the sponsors & any other trace of what was a championship winning team.

Plus, compared to GRM and Nismo, both have managed top 10 championship finishes, Erebus is at the bottom.
Yeah and the glaring difference in all that is, GRM had co-operation from Volvo HQ, the Kelly's from NISMO and, both didn't try and push a giant cart of it uphill by thinking they could pioneer a brand new marque into Supercars in four months flat!
I understand Betty loves the three pointed star but, as soon as she started getting opposition from AMG/Mercedes HQ, rather than tipping money down the drain, she should've considered the other options. As it stands now, she's the proud owner of three very expensive, uncompetitive Mercedes Supercars collecting dust.

Its worse :lol: At least the falcon dies with dignity,

Worse it's not bad at all, and I'm sure in race trim it will look pretty awesome. I never thought on Altima could look like a cool race car, but Supercars always finds a way to make things cool.

I never thought on Altima could look like a cool race car, but Supercars always finds a way to make things cool.
It would look better with the US spec facelift, but who knows when that will make it's way down there. (probably never since a new car is due in a couple years)

It would look better with the US spec facelift, but who knows when that will make it's way down there. (probably never since a new car is due in a couple years)

I don't like the face lift so, I like the current spec, I mean yeah it's a bit dated when put into perspective, but I think the pre-face lift look looks more aggressive.

Its worse :lol: At least the falcon dies with dignity,
There's no debating that the Falcon blows the new Commodore out the water in the looks department, but compared to those early test pictures, it doesn't look as bad.

I don't see how people find the pedestrian Taurus/fusion/falcon attractive. To be honest look wise they're about the same. I feel nostalgia dictates some of the thoughts on the new commodore.

I don't see how people find the pedestrian Taurus/fusion/falcon attractive. To be honest look wise they're about the same. I feel nostalgia dictates some of the thoughts on the new commodore.

The Falcon has always been its own entity, separate from the other cars you've mentioned, the Taurus/ Fusion/ Mondeo are all very different to the Falcon, a fully optioned Falcon XR8 is on par with the higher end V8 BMW/ Mercedes cars, with better build quality at half the price,

As for the Commodore, there's no point calling it a Commodore when the only thing it really share is a name, just call it the Insignia or Malibu or what ever it is actually called and give the Commodore the respect it deserves,

or Malibu

Malibu:

2017-chevrolet-malibu-engine-specs-1.jpg

Do they sell it down there?

The Falcon has always been its own entity, separate from the other cars you've mentioned, the Taurus/ Fusion/ Mondeo are all very different to the Falcon, a fully optioned Falcon XR8 is on par with the higher end V8 BMW/ Mercedes cars, with better build quality at half the price,

As for the Commodore, there's no point calling it a Commodore when the only thing it really share is a name, just call it the Insignia or Malibu or what ever it is actually called and give the Commodore the respect it deserves,

Sure there is, but the car takes design queues or vice versa that show it's a Ford car not truly of it's own merit or originality. We're talking about looks, and a higher end SHO is on par as well, the quality is the same between an XR6 turbo/8.

As I said nostalgia crap. It's a Commodore, and the big huff and outcry is usually what I see a lot of on Aussie comment boards when the tides change. Talks about conservative in thought

Malibu:

yes they sale them there. I'm surprised he didn't ask them to call it a Caprice.

Malibu:

Not sure about that particular model, but the 2014 model was,
Sure there is, but the car takes design queues or vice versa that show it's a Ford car not truly of it's own merit or originality. We're talking about looks, and a higher end SHO is on par as well, the quality is the same between an XR6 turbo/8.

As I said nostalgia crap. It's a Commodore, and the big huff and outcry is usually what I see a lot of on Aussie comment boards when the tides change. Talks about conservative in thought

yes they sale them there. I'm surprised he didn't ask them to call it a Caprice.

They usually take design cues from the previous model, the Falcon and commodore are easier to pick as being what they are as oppose to the Subaru Liberty or Honda Accord, which seem to be cars trying to be something German as oppose to what they actually are,
Speaking of Honda Accords, there is one just down the road from where I have parked and until the car behind it moved so I could see the boot, I thought it was an E Class Mercedes....

EDIT: I've also just noticed I have the only Australian made car within my vision limits on this street :S

They usually take design cues from the previous model, the Falcon and commodore are easier to pick as being what they are as oppose to the Subaru Liberty or Honda Accord, which seem to be cars trying to be something German as oppose to what they actually are,
Speaking of Honda Accords, there is one just down the road from where I have parked and until the car behind it moved so I could see the boot, I thought it was an E Class Mercedes....

EDIT: I've also just noticed I have the only Australian made car within my vision limits on this street :S

I have no idea what you're getting at in regards to my comments. My point was that this new GM product doesn't look bad, takes similar design queues used in Australia, and to win over the nostalgia even has Holden taking the time to make it their own special snowflake. Especially I see the same thing done with Ford of your liking. I see Falcons being no different and Ford wanted to import 2018 Taurus as re-branded Falcon's I wouldn't see the issue since the cars of now already have similar queues that till people it's a Ford despite region.

Hell I don't even know why Ford doesn't let Ford Australia just do that and run an Taurus like XR6 in Supercars instead.

Looks fantastic imo. Won't be as cool as the racecars of yesteryear but has so much more dignity as a road car than anything Holden has put out in the past.

I have no idea what you're getting at in regards to my comments. My point was that this new GM product doesn't look bad, takes similar design queues used in Australia, and to win over the nostalgia even has Holden taking the time to make it their own special snowflake. Especially I see the same thing done with Ford of your liking. I see Falcons being no different and Ford wanted to import 2018 Taurus as re-branded Falcon's I wouldn't see the issue since the cars of now already have similar queues that till people it's a Ford despite region.

Hell I don't even know why Ford doesn't let Ford Australia just do that and run an Taurus like XR6 in Supercars instead.

Honestly. It doesn't look anything like a commodore, its looks more like a Chinese version of a Bentley with those fat hips, all its really had is a facelift, it will still have that 'cheap' feeling that you get in current Mitsubishi's, but then I feel all cars from 2003- now have that in some capacity,

It doesn't really bother me in the slightest, I wont be in the market to buy one as there are several better cars to buy in that price range, that and I just don't like it,

Remember when Penske wanted a Falco to test? Look how Holden got around that. Engine sourced from the USA.
Where is the aero testing being done? Germany?
C'mon mate, let's be fair about it. An engine from the large GM catalog, on a dyno in the States is a long way from entire car The Captain wanted access to.
As for the aero, that'll be done the same half-assed way Supercars has always done aero parity testing - the coast down test on a runway here in Oz. The design of that aero will be done at Triple Eight HQ on some whizz bang computer, all within Supercars guidelines.
All you Ford badge lovers can calm down - your camp will have the exact same opportunities at your disposal.

C'mon mate, let's be fair about it. An engine from the large GM catalog, on a dyno in the States is a long way from entire car The Captain wanted access to.
As for the aero, that'll be done the same half-assed way Supercars has always done aero parity testing - the coast down test on a runway here in Oz. The design of that aero will be done at Triple Eight HQ on some whizz bang computer, all within Supercars guidelines.
All you Ford badge lovers can calm down - your camp will have the exact same opportunities at your disposal.
:lol:

I'm not saying "Why can't Ford?" "WHY can't PRA?" "Why can't Penske?". That's on them. They knew Gen2 is soon here and could have started development on new car, new engine, either or. Holden and Nissan committed. Job well done. Thing is, V8SC were aupposed to be running a prototype Holden at Bathurst. Showing the world the future. Right here in NSW. HWA in Germany made Bettys engines. Polestar fixed up GRMs engines. Nissan helped the Kelly gang.

Besides, when I rethink Penske wanting a car brought to the USA, they wanted to build the chassis themselves. As did other manufacturers enquiring about joining the series. That aspect wasn't clarified in the rules. To add, V8SC wanted to see the chassis to make sure they were coreect. im waiting to see what rule (s) start to become amended as that engine develops. ;)

:lol:

I'm not saying "Why can't Ford?" "WHY can't PRA?" "Why can't Penske?". That's on them. They knew Gen2 is soon here and could have started development on new car, new engine, either or. Holden and Nissan committed. Job well done. Thing is, V8SC were aupposed to be running a prototype Holden at Bathurst. Showing the world the future. Right here in NSW. HWA in Germany made Bettys engines. Polestar fixed up GRMs engines. Nissan helped the Kelly gang.

Besides, when I rethink Penske wanting a car brought to the USA, they wanted to build the chassis themselves. As did other manufacturers enquiring about joining the series. That aspect wasn't clarified in the rules. To add, V8SC wanted to see the chassis to make sure they were coreect. im waiting to see what rule (s) start to become amended as that engine develops. ;)
Yeah, fair enough.

It was only a few weeks ago that Larko was on the box in front of his whiteboard telling us all that parity is not an issue anymore. Besides the fuel mileage of the pushrods versus the quad cams, I'd say that's correct.
Now that Supercars are going to completely shuffle the deck chairs with these new Gen2 regs, it's going to become a bigger issue than they've ever faced since the Group A days. Trying to balance all the performance parameters of a twin turbo V6 against the current V8 options is going to be a nightmare.

Shoot! Check their FB page. One can practically build an Altima with all the panels their selling. Complete rhs Jack Daniels panels, choice of front clips. Wheels, boot lids, brake rotors, cams, seats, doors, bonnets, front cross members. The price list will be posted shortly.

Back