2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
Maybe Simona will be easier on the equipment.

With Tander up ahead, Caruso might be in the same Championship finishing position(8th) for points at the end of this. Slade(9 pts behind) isn't helping his case though.

Roland will manage to talk his way out of SVG getting a penalty for that unsafe release.

EDIT- No penalty for SVG

I'd say my vote for driver and team of the CoTF era, goes to the #33. These guys have been at the forefront the past 4 years(Holden then S60). Built fast cars and given a virtual rookie, the tools to contest poles & wins.

Factory backing no doubt helped, but GRM have been smart from the jump. Full respect to Garry. That blue S60 is in the history books. That's why I would hand them a "team of this short era" award.

I'd say my vote for driver and team of the CoTF era, goes to the #33. These guys have been at the forefront the past 4 years(Holden then S60). Built fast cars and given a virtual rookie, the tools to contest poles & wins.

Factory backing no doubt helped, but GRM have been smart from the jump. Full respect to Garry. That blue S60 is in the history books. That's why I would hand them a "team of this short era" award.

There could have been more backing I feel, to take on a giant like Red Bull Racing Australia.

David Reynolds has arguably had one of his best seasons yet. He's managed to drag that Erebus consistently into placings it doesn't belong and currently has it within a shout of getting a podium.

Heavy contact between Coulthard and Waters. There isn't a car on the track that doesn't have damage right now.

Safety Car out. Whincup has to double stack behind SVG :lol:

Yeah the #12 was done. Just wish the Fords tried to help each other during the year. Guess they don't think like NASCAR in those situations. Every driver for themselves...

There could have been more backing I feel, to take on a giant like Red Bull Racing Australia.
Only problem was reliability last year. It was a fluke, as they hadn't changes anything to the cars. However, a finish at Bathurst this year would have sent the team over the moon.

David Reynolds has arguably had one of his best seasons yet. He's managed to drag that Erebus consistently into placings it doesn't belong and currently has it within a shout of getting a podium.
I'll add. For Betty to have 2 genuine winning trophies(with two different drivers) at HQ, is a definite win for the team. Erebus just wasn't clever enough like GRM. Switching 3 manufacturers in 3 years, must be a record.

Well poop. Pretty sure Slade is going to jump Caruso in the points thanks to that Alternator.
Dang shame. Tander will leapfrog them both. Pushing Caruso to 10th.

Only problem was reliability last year. It was a fluke, as they hadn't changes anything to the cars. However, a finish at Bathurst this year would have sent the team over the moon.

Doesn't seem like a fluke, seems like development that was missed out on the cars had reliability gremlins the first year too, and they worked to try and solve them. Then they had more after that. This year was an issue with consistent set up to have them racing for wins from track to track and what seems to be an improved RB holden chassis as well. Which to me states that if more money from Volvo had gone through and was serious perhaps they would have been had the Kiwi championship winner, or maybe it'd still be the same outcome this year.

Doesn't seem like a fluke, seems like development that was missed out on the cars had reliability gremlins the first year too, and they worked to try and solve them. Then they had more after that. This year was an issue with consistent set up to have them racing for wins from track to track and what seems to be an improved RB holden chassis as well. Which to me states that if more money from Volvo had gone through and was serious perhaps they would have been had the Kiwi championship winner, or maybe it'd still be the same outcome this year.
I read you. They did have some serious gremlins, but that S60 is every measure of the RBRA Commodore. To come in with a fresh engine & aero and stiff-arm a 20years developed car, still says alot.

Not a Falcon in sight.

GRM showed Volvo what can be done. Both cars top 10. Good send off.

Edit: Don't forget Reynolds yesterday as well. Driver of the weekend. ;)

Anyone else notice the fact that the first 5 Holdens at least had all knocked off their right hand mirror or is it just a really small one or a camera or something?

I read you. They did have some serious gremlins, but that S60 is every measure of the RBRA Commodore. To come in with a fresh engine & aero and stiff-arm a 20years developed car, still says alot.

They didn't stiff arm anything but a few races each season. Also I'm not sure how the car is 20 years developed. Considering one the Holden they ran today isn't the same as a Triple 8 from three or four years ago. Two Triple 8 hasn't ran Holden all this time, before that they successfully were winning in Ford's as the annoying Vodafone team.

Yes the Volvo is fast and for the time frame it was built in, and competed did well to be fighting at the upper portion of the drivers championship. I feel if Volvo seriously had an interest in winning as much as Gary and crew they'd have made sure of it or put in a stronger effort. You seem to be misunderstanding me and seeing my critique as one of GRM rather than Volvo. I think GRM did their part and did damn good, I think Volvo let them down and if it were truly a relationship of mutual respect Volvo would have been better about ending their supercar foray and Gary wouldn't be taking them to court.

Anyone else notice the fact that the first 5 Holdens at least had all knocked off their right hand mirror or is it just a really small one or a camera or something?
I'm wondering myself how many mirrors and or mirror caps each team brings with them on a street course race weekend.

They didn't stiff arm anything but a few races each season. Also I'm not sure how the car is 20 years developed. Considering one the Holden they ran today isn't the same as a Triple 8 from three or four years ago. Two Triple 8 hasn't ran Holden all this time, before that they successfully were winning in Ford's as the annoying Vodafone team.

Yes the Volvo is fast and for the time frame it was built in, and competed did well to be fighting at the upper portion of the drivers championship. I feel if Volvo seriously had an interest in winning as much as Gary and crew they'd have made sure of it or put in a stronger effort. You seem to be misunderstanding me and seeing my critique as one of GRM rather than Volvo. I think GRM did their part and did damn good, I think Volvo let them down and if it were truly a relationship of mutual respect Volvo would have been better about ending their supercar foray and Gary wouldn't be taking them to court.
The pushrod engines have been in development for 20years. That was the biggest talk for new manufacturers. Power & fuel economy. Garry smartly refashioned his Holden chassis to accommodate the Cyan engine. Polestar did have an extra year to develop where HWA and NISMO were struggling in driveability(Erebus) and peak power(NISMO).

I understood you about Volvo's part of the deal. I just looked at the camp from day 1 til this last race. Garry mentioned(i think on Inside Supercars) the S60 was being run by his operation anyway. Didn't need any development from Sweden. The package was/is still good and would do well next year when the contract was, as he understood, to be officially over end of next year.

I still Stan by the stiff-arm comment. The S60 had a few tyre wear dramas. Bar those, the horrible DNF's Moffat had and then Moffat having a good run, the S60 is a formidable machine. I'll add, what if Premat stayed? They may have matched RBRA these past 3 years.

No doubt, there may have been a difference, if Volvo stuck by their silent agreement, to see through this year and next. I'll just blame this on the failed "Dahlgren experiment".

I'm wondering myself how many mirrors and or mirror caps each team brings with them on a street course race weekend.
However many it is, Erebus clearly didn't bring enough of them as they actually ran out of new mirrors for Reynolds' car. :lol:

The pushrod engines have been in development for 20years. That was the biggest talk for new manufacturers. Power & fuel economy. Garry smartly refashioned his Holden chassis to accommodate the Cyan engine. Polestar did have an extra year to develop where HWA and NISMO were struggling in driveability(Erebus) and peak power(NISMO).

I understood you about Volvo's part of the deal. I just looked at the camp from day 1 til this last race. Garry mentioned(i think on Inside Supercars) the S60 was being run by his operation anyway. Didn't need any development from Sweden. The package was/is still good and would do well next year when the contract was, as he understood, to be officially over end of next year.

I still Stan by the stiff-arm comment. The S60 had a few tyre wear dramas. Bar those, the horrible DNF's Moffat had and then Moffat having a good run, the S60 is a formidable machine. I'll add, what if Premat stayed? They may have matched RBRA these past 3 years.

No doubt, there may have been a difference, if Volvo stuck by their silent agreement, to see through this year and next. I'll just blame this on the failed "Dahlgren experiment".

The engine wasn't the only issue though that's my point. Sure the first year we saw power steering and alternator issues and heat soak causing oil leaks. We saw in 2015 the car had critical engine failures that were confusing to all. The point is that pushrod engine technology and overhead cam engines are both well understood engines in racing. Despite V8 running one much longer than the other. Hence why it came to speed so quickly after being introduced when it worked.

I don't see it as a stiff arm on a consistent basis because Gary is shouldering the burden of this effort with some Polestar help. RBRA has a big influx of money on their own, from Red Bull and Holden help as well. If Gary had that much inflow he'd be probably toe-to-toe with RBRA especially with the drivers they have. That's my point. If it was a stiff arm like you see it then RBRA would have really worried, and at no point did they seem to other than, how to treat their drivers fairly as all three fought for the championship.

Also Dahlgren is Volvo's fault, and only puts more weight into my argument that Volvo didn't do enough for Gary, but Gary stuck through and tried very hard from day one.

As far as I am aware, nobody is changing anything for next year.
Ok ok, maybe I'm exaggerating but Holden will run 3 Litre V6 TT cars next year... And we have no clue what Prodrive and Penske will actually be running because the Falcon is no longer being produced. Garry Rogers hasn't said anything about the future of his team either, and as for Nissan? Well, it seems as though that team will stay the same. The Kelly Brothers said it themselves and Nissan are keen to stay on as is.

Uh, OK. I totally wasn't reading into it enough.
Yeah it looks like things will remain the same for one more year. Then in 2018, Holden gets new cars and the new engine. I expect the Ford teams to either convince Ford USA to help with support and go Mustangs, use their own money and go with Mustangs, or switch to something else and Ford will no longer be around. Then you have the Kia rumors flying, probably with GRM. LOTS of changes coming in 2018.

Latest Posts

Back