2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
Well that was build up for nothing - didn't they already run two of these cars last year at Daytona, etc? I was hoping for something bigger than additional GT3 entries.

Well that was build up for nothing - didn't they already run two of these cars last year at Daytona, etc? I was hoping for something bigger than additional GT3 entries.
No they didn't, only in testing to see how they'd do in BoP. And actually it was 1 SLS and 1 AMG-GT. We've been waiting for this for about a year. :P Thankfully they decided to join.

Does this make it eligible for LeMans?
GT3 car in a GT3 class (GTD) fam. :P Now if they'd made a GTLM car....

Last edited:
GTLM should have the exact same car selection as Blancpain. Every GT3 car from the last 3 years should be eligible. Basically, every current gen car and whatever's still around that doesn't have a current gen yet.

That GTE class still confuses me. The Corvette, 458/488, RSR look like GT3 cars. It would make sense to have all the GT3 type cars run at LeMans.

So many entries would make it like the classic races. Big field of GT cars would make things so interesting. Fights for positions for the full 24Hours.

I know it would give Audi, NISMO, McLaren, AMG huge incentives to field many cars.

That GTE class still confuses me. The Corvette, 458/488, RSR look like GT3 cars. It would make sense to have all the GT3 type cars run at LeMans.

So many entries would make it like the classic races. Big field of GT cars would make things so interesting. Fights for positions for the full 24Hours.

I know it would give Audi, NISMO, McLaren, AMG huge incentives to field many cars.

I'm sure someone can elaborate but it is likely just the ACO (governing body for LeMans 24 Hour) being...well, the ACO. They have to have their own toys.

Could happen when they drop the entry bribe.

We really aren't missing many though (unless I'm missing some).

Aston Martin - With TRG looking elsewhere there may not be any Aston's racing in the states in '17 apart from possibly the first two races.
Bentley - Only interested in overall wins.
Ginetta - Only regionally approved so they would need IMSA's approval anyways.
McLaren - Of the two PWC teams one hasn't done any endurance races that I know (although they are doing one in December) of and the other one doesn't have the funds.

As much as the fans like to moan about the partnership fee there really isn't much we are missing.

Well, that's one way to confirm AJR was switching to Mercedes.

WeatherTech is switching to Riley. AJR's future is still up in the air.

We really aren't missing many though (unless I'm missing some).

Aston Martin - With TRG looking elsewhere there may not be any Aston's racing in the states in '17 apart from possibly the first two races.
Bentley - Only interested in overall wins.
Ginetta - Only regionally approved so they would need IMSA's approval anyways.
McLaren - Of the two PWC teams one hasn't done any endurance races that I know (although they are doing one in December) of and the other one doesn't have the funds.

As much as the fans like to moan about the partnership fee there really isn't much we are missing.

WeatherTech is switching to Riley. AJR's future is still up in the air.
Agree with your point, however you missed Nissan. :P WeatherTech realized that AJR isn't reliable moving forward thankfully.

Are those 2 teams the #99 Gainsco Racing and the (3 car effort) KPAX Flying Lizard Racing? Both of those teams have extensive endurance racing experience, though, not with the McLaren.
Both teams ran in ALMS for years. Just want to clear up which teams you mean, that's all.

Are those 2 teams the #99 Gainsco Racing and the (3 car effort) KPAX Flying Lizard Racing? Both of those teams have extensive endurance racing experience, though, not with the McLaren.
Both teams ran in ALMS for years. Just want to clear up which teams you mean, that's all.

I'm well aware both Flying Lizard and Gainsco have endurance experience. But Flying Lizard hasn't done any enduro's with K-Pax (until December) and Gainsco has cut back on their funding so I doubt they could afford an endurance program.

Back