2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
I'm well aware both Flying Lizard and Gainsco have endurance experience. But Flying Lizard hasn't done any enduro's with K-Pax (until December) and Gainsco has cut back on their funding so I doubt they could afford an endurance program.
I can agree that funding could be holding either team back from (what I think is more expensive) IMSA. That (cost) is the basis of the current conversation.
I'm actually surprised to see Gainsco/Stallings back at all but I also think Flying Lizard will do an endurance series again in the future, not the near future as KPAX is currently coughing up some real $$$$. As we all know that well (any $$ well) can dry up anytime. Just ask Pat Long.

Anyone think that silhouetted Mercedes shot is a possible Mercedes DPi?

The Red Dragon returns? I'd wondered what happened to them last season, they've always been one of my favorite DPs.
They returned, but in the PWC with the McLaren.

red dragon mc.jpg

I really hope they made enough of an effort to differentiate the DPi cars from each other and I desperately hope they have simplified names, etc. Even though I follow the sport I start to glass over when I hear...

"Number four, the TycoMatic Performance Nissan Ligier P2 217-RS piloted by..."

Even as a fan of the sport/series I start to struggle - particularly with LeMans when I get introduced to a host of teams I've never seen before, driving cars which look nearly identical, with often-mediocre livery work, etc.

I just hope and pray we get some cars which look slightly different or have big, simple, bold liveries which differentiate each other nicely.

I really hope they made enough of an effort to differentiate the DPi cars from each other and I desperately hope they have simplified names, etc. Even though I follow the sport I start to glass over when I hear...

"Number four, the TycoMatic Performance Nissan Ligier P2 217-RS piloted by..."

Even as a fan of the sport/series I start to struggle - particularly with LeMans when I get introduced to a host of teams I've never seen before, driving cars which look nearly identical, with often-mediocre livery work, etc.

I just hope and pray we get some cars which look slightly different or have big, simple, bold liveries which differentiate each other nicely.
I assume it'll just be "Cadillac Dallara", "Honda Riley", "Nissan Ligier" and so on. :P

On the aero diversity front, 2017 will be extremely different amongst the makes. Past 2017 I predict some commonalities, but then again there's about 3 manufacturers at the moment with more to come, so fingers crossed. Gonna be interesting to say the least.

All of this nice news of the new DPi's and GTD entries, but sadly, there is some bad news.

The Deltawing will not race a final race in the Rolex 24 like originally planned. Was really hoping to see it one last time :(

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/136416-imsa-deltawing-cancels-rolex-24-return
Its unfortunate, but probably for the best of Panoz I suppose. If its not going to be competitive at all and they're trying to get a new GT4 program going, I guess the money just isn't there. It sucks though, I wanted to see it run one last time and to try and redeem itself at Daytona. Unfortunately we'll never know now.

May have not done anything amazing in competition, may have been tossed around from class to class and an ugly duckling of sorts, but it was one of the most innovative ideas in racecar designs (as a whole) in our time. Sad to see it go out this way, but it was fun watching them. ._.7

The hype is real. When do we get to lay eyeballs on the Cadillac and its V8?! :drool:

It's expected to also be unveiled at the LA Auto Show, although I haven't seen anything confirming it.

I really wish I lived closer so I could see the Cadillac, Mazda and Porsche unveiled. Plus I'm sure Acura and Lexus will have their new GT3 cars there.

Back