2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
I was kind of hoping Krohn wouldn't make the trip this year so we could have a few less cautions. I just hope they don't do a Krohn yellow version of the Flying Lizard scheme.

No McLaren checks have cleared the 1st State bank of Daytona.

I don't think any ever will given how popular the 650S has been (not very). I really wouldn't be surprised if they decided to end their GT3 program when it comes time for the next round of new cars.

Last edited:
People could at least play the Krohn drinking game which in theory would make the Fox "coverage" more tolerable than normal, so that's sort of a plus I guess.....

Well, I think I'll be cheering for the 01 in DP (Judas!!!!! ;)), the 25 (or 100, but I'd rather cheer for Gustl) in GTLM, and the 97 in GTD (or 96, but I'd rather cheer for Maxime Martin)

:D I'm looking forward to it already :D

So Porsche's GTLM lineup isn't the one featuring two drivers who had a coming together previously.

Pruett is racing in P so he can potentially break the tie between him and Hurley Haywood with 5 overall victories a piece. AXR signed him because he's still one of the fastest guys out there

Ganassi is going for the repeat and it's a lot easier to repeat with 2 cars. I wouldn't be surprised (if Karam gets funding) that Ganassi will be able to race a DP at Sebring and maybe beyond. Ganassi talked about how it wanted to run a DP this season way back October-November in an article. I don't feel like chasing links, but I read it on either racer or S365.

As per the car count numbers released recently, I'm disappointed that only 54 or so will be at Daytona. There were usually that many back when it was just DP and GT during the Grand Am days. Car per class numbers way higher than what we have now. Still want to get rid of at least 1 class (PC). Those teams would be in the GTD class and then P could be slowed down a bit helping the budgets out for more competitors in that class too

Pruett is racing in P so he can potentially break the tie between him and Hurley Haywood with 5 overall victories a piece. AXR signed him because he's still one of the fastest guys out there

Ganassi is going for the repeat and it's a lot easier to repeat with 2 cars. I wouldn't be surprised (if Karam gets funding) that Ganassi will be able to race a DP at Sebring and maybe beyond. Ganassi talked about how it wanted to run a DP this season way back October-November in an article. I don't feel like chasing links, but I read it on either racer or S365.

As per the car count numbers released recently, I'm disappointed that only 54 or so will be at Daytona. There were usually that many back when it was just DP and GT during the Grand Am days. Car per class numbers way higher than what we have now. Still want to get rid of at least 1 class (PC). Those teams would be in the GTD class and then P could be slowed down a bit helping the budgets out for more competitors in that class too

I say scrap PC as well. GTLM is getting faster with new ACO cars and P class is going to get stronger next year. New gen P2 cars are getting a substantial power hike as well.

I say scrap PC as well. GTLM is getting faster with new ACO cars and P class is going to get stronger next year. New gen P2 cars are getting a substantial power hike as well.
IMSA P is already faster than LMP2 (assuming same tires) IMSA LMP2 chassis run at higher power levels. That's why the Nissan didn't work because it wasn't turbo and couldn't make the power levels necessary to be completely competitive.

WEC GTE is down right now. IMSA leads the world in that class currently.

WEC GTE is down right now. IMSA leads the world in that class currently.

Connor you're drunk, Happy New Year :cheers:

WEC 15:
5x AMR Vantages
2x Dempsey 991's.
2x Manthey 991's
1x Larbre C7R
3x AF Corse 458's.

13 cars.

IMSA 15:
1x Risi 458
2x Porsche NA 991's
1x Falken 991
2x Corvette C7R's

6 cars.

WEC 15:
5x AMR Vantages
2x Dempsey 991's.
2x Manthey 991's
1x Larbre C7R
3x AF Corse 458's.

13 cars.

IMSA 15:
1x Risi 458
2x Porsche NA 991's
1x Falken 991
2x Corvette C7R's

6 cars.
There's also an am category with rich old guys making up half the field in the WEC. Imagine if IMSA had GTEam instead of GTD ;)

You've also left out the Ganassi Ford GT entries as well as the BMWs for this upcoming year...

There's also an am category with rich old guys making up half the field in the WEC. Imagine if IMSA had GTEam instead of GTD ;)

You've also left out the Ganassi Ford GT entries as well as the BMWs for this upcoming year...

WEC 15:
5x AMR Vantages
2x Dempsey 991's.
2x Manthey 991's
1x Larbre C7R
3x AF Corse 458's.

13 cars.

IMSA 15:
1x Risi 458
2x Porsche NA 991's
1x Falken 991
2x Corvette C7R's

6 cars.

For WEC in 16 we take away 2 Vantages, 2 Manthey cars in PRO (as PRO have a new spec now). For IMSA we lose Falken (Sadly, great looking car)

EDIT Add 2 Ford GT's to BOTH series though.

For WEC in 16 we take away 2 Vantages, 2 Manthey cars in PRO (as PRO have a new spec now). For IMSA we lose Falken (Sadly, great looking car)

EDIT Add 2 Ford GT's to BOTH series though.
Add BMW to IMSA too. The Z4 last season and the new M6 this season. Got an extra Ferrari in IMSA for the endurance rounds

WEC 15:
5x AMR Vantages
2x Dempsey 991's.
2x Manthey 991's
1x Larbre C7R
3x AF Corse 458's.

13 cars.

IMSA 15:
1x Risi 458
2x Porsche NA 991's
1x Falken 991
2x Corvette C7R's

6 cars.
Quality over Quantity. IMSAs GT has pulled some fantastic racing, more so than WEC GTs IMO.

As for who I am rooting for in the Daytona 24 via ranks:

P:
  1. Chevorlet Daytona Prototypes (GM Fan here :P)
  2. Ford Daytona Prototypes (DP Fan here)
  3. Le Mans Prototypes (Never been a fan of LMP2, especially since the majority of them have gone close cockpit)
GTLM:
  1. Corvette Racing (Same reason as the Chevy DP)
  2. Ford (Simply because I want to see how well the Ford GTE goes)
  3. Everyone else.
  4. Porsche North America (I don't know why, but the North America division of the GT Porsche program rubs me the wrong way despite liking the WEC Porsche GT program)
GTD:
  1. #22 Alex Job Racing (3 of my favourite drivers are in it)
  2. Everyone else

Still want to get rid of at least 1 class (PC). Those teams would be in the GTD class and then P could be slowed down a bit helping the budgets out for more competitors in that class too

I think PC is dying a natural death and I think the teams know it, hence the likely reason for the reluctance to switch to a new chassis.

I'm not sure they would all go to GTD though as I could easily see at least 3 of the current PC teams going to the DPi class instead (Core, PR1 and Starworks).

Weren't they originally planning to replace LMPC with LMP3 but the LMP3 wasn't well received due to its lack of speed in comparison to LMPC?

Back