2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
Weren't they originally planning to replace LMPC with LMP3 but the LMP3 wasn't well received due to its lack of speed in comparison to LMPC?
I think the current plan is to have an update kit for the FLM chassis currently in use.

I wish Mercedes could have gotten the deal with IMSA for the new AMG GT3 car to be on the grid this year too. I think the idea of having manufacturer partnerships for GTD is sad because this is literally IMSA having to ask for money

Last edited:
#30 interesting. Frikadelli from VLN and a Porsche with incoming Top Gear host Sabine Schmitz at the wheel...

Fixed. EDIT: Who I'm rooting for
P: #10 WTR Corvette DP (though I think the 5 car will win somehow)
GTLM: All of Corvette Racing
GTD: Back to Vipers as Sabine is out

Last edited:
I wish Mercedes could have gotten the deal with IMSA for the new AMG GT3 car to be on the grid this year too.

My understanding of it is that they are willing to pay the fee, but are waiting until a team wanting to run full time comes along.

Weren't they originally planning to replace LMPC with LMP3 but the LMP3 wasn't well received due to its lack of speed in comparison to LMPC?

They did run the Ginetta LMP3 as Watkins Glen and it was quite slow - but it's probably one of the worst LMP3s. Incidentally they also came out with this. Which although not mentioned as a LMPC proposal, with an LS3 engine seems like it was certainly something to think about. I hope they get the chance to evaluate a better performing LMP3, like the Ligier.

There has been talk about having a spec LMP2 car as a replacement for LMPC. Mentioned here.

But yes, they did put in development upgrades lightening the engine by 25 to 30 pounds, ORECA making aero balance improvements to the chassis, and the electronics package and system being modified include traction control and other elements - to be in place by Sebring.

I wish Mercedes could have gotten the deal with IMSA for the new AMG GT3 car to be on the grid this year too. I think the idea of having manufacturer partnerships for GTD is sad because this is literally IMSA having to ask for money

Money to help run the series is not a bad thing. It's an investment to help it be run well. Balancing BoP has a real tangible cost. And besides, it's not like the GTD class is hurting for entries or diversity: Audi, Dodge, Porsche, Lexus (soon), Aston Martin, Ferrari. Mercedes might not be on that list now - but when they are ready to be, they will be.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that AMR are entering there own V12 GT3 in GTD (#98), two big V12's at Daytona...bliss. :embarrassed: :drool: I also noticed that there are a lot of triple digit numbered cars this year as well, with some very creative choices.

They did run the Ginetta LMP3 as Watkins Glen and it was quite slow - but it's probably one of the worst LMP3s. Incidentally they also came out with this. Which although not mentioned as a LMPC proposal, with an LS3 engine seems like it was certainly something to think about. I hope they get the chance to evaluate a better performing LMP3, like the Ligier.

There has been talk about having a spec LMP2 car as a replacement for LMPC. Mentioned here.

But yes, they did put in development upgrades lightening the engine by 25 to 30 pounds, ORECA making aero balance improvements to the chassis, and the electronics package and system being modified include traction control and other elements - to be in place by Sebring.

Money to help run the series is not a bad thing. It's an investment to help it be run well. Balancing BoP has a real tangible cost. And besides, it's not like the GTD class is hurting for entries or diversity: Audi, Dodge, Porsche, Lexus (soon), Aston Martin, Ferrari. Mercedes might not be on that list now - but when they are ready to be, they will be.
Not entirely true when the took the ginetta to watkins glen they basicly turned up with the car and stuck it on the track and didnt have time to set it up at all so ran it without a set up, also all the people there to drive it only got a handful of laps each. People still put down deposits on the cars ut then cancelled them when imsa changed their minds.

That is true, they didn't have time to work on a setup. They also didn't get to run a second day (which was the plan) after someone crashed it. It was definitely a poor test for sure.

Holy crap I can't wait for this season. I genuinely miss racing coverage. I didn't find any good off-season series to watch (even on YouTube!) so I've been jonesing for some racing. I'm almost more excited about the Continental support series but I'll take what I can get.

CXqETNpWkAE0Sr0.jpg

The one car I be looking forward to. :D

I hope (and fully believe) more work was done to fit the M6 into GT3 than that previous...dare we even mention...older M6 effort Turner ran.

803_081210turner1.jpg

What a turd...here's hoping they can be more competitive this year. I will miss the Z4 though.

I hope (and fully believe) more work was done to fit the M6 into GT3 than that previous...dare we even mention...older M6 effort Turner ran.

803_081210turner1.jpg

What a turd...here's hoping they can be more competitive this year. I will miss the Z4 though.
Z4 GT3 FOREVER! ·_·7 M6 is a Panzer.

Thankfully Mercedes' AMG GT3 is like a cousin to tbe Z4, hopefully it makes it's appearance soon. Also excited for the Lexus next year. Course nothing can beat the NA V12 of the Aston. :drool:

Holy crap I can't wait for this season. I genuinely miss racing coverage. I didn't find any good off-season series to watch (even on YouTube!) so I've been jonesing for some racing. I'm almost more excited about the Continental support series but I'll take what I can get.

Me also, I sure missed speedchannel this off season. I loved that they replayed a lot of European race series that we didn't get coverage of here in the states. It was always something to look forward to during the winter.

The one car I be looking forward to. :D

That's the only one, with all the new cars this year? I can't wait to see the new Ford GT! So much so that I am buying the whole season of WEC stream. Speaking of coverage, does anyone know if we are going to get screwed by Fox Sports again by them putting most the races on the steam that almost nobody has access to?

803_081210turner1.jpg

What a turd...here's hoping they can be more competitive this year.

I'm really not up on the regs enough, but it's my understanding that the E63 "M6" Turner ran was just a Riley tube frame, with some whale-esque body panels fitted, along with a V8 derived from the previous gen M5. This time around the M6 was designed and built by BMW Motorsport, and by all accounts, the longer wheelbase and improved aero dynamics of the M6 GT3 vs the Z4 GT3 should help it out, especially at Daytona. On the flip side, this will be the M6 GT3's first competitive outing... so we'll see!

I'm really not up on the regs enough, but it's my understanding that the E63 "M6" Turner ran was just a Riley tube frame, with some whale-esque body panels fitted, along with a V8 derived from the previous gen M5. This time around the M6 was designed and built by BMW Motorsport, and by all accounts, the longer wheelbase and improved aero dynamics of the M6 GT3 vs the Z4 GT3 should help it out, especially at Daytona. On the flip side, this will be the M6 GT3's first competitive outing... so we'll see!

Its a hard tidbit to swallow knowing the M6 is more aero efficient then the Z4, Both are stunning cars,

Its a hard tidbit to swallow knowing the M6 is more aero efficient then the Z4, Both are stunning cars,

Well, I've never really seen the aero comments put into context - and come to think of it, some of it came from Judas Priaulx (:lol:), but I could see it being the case.. depends what your definition of improved is I guess.

Yeah, I assume this one will be good to go...just pointing out the only other M6 I'd seen in competition, particularly by Turner. I'd imagine this new round the Bimmer will be competitive.

803_081210turner1.jpg

That's because that isn't even a GT3 car period. The actual M6 GT3 car from years past was one built by Alpina:

upload_2016-1-3_17-44-50.png

The Last gen M6 overall just looked horrible no matter what form it took on. Thankfully, the current one does not have this problem.

Speaking of coverage, does anyone know if we are going to get screwed by Fox Sports again by them putting most the races on the steam that almost nobody has access to?

Fox being Fox, pretty sure it'll be business as usual.

Didn't they use the Z4 GT3's engine or something like it?

When it launched it had the 4.4 V8 engine from the B6S which was supercharged. They then changed it to the Dinan 5 Litre V8, which was probably the one based on the E39 M5 V8. But IIRC the B6 GT3 hit the track at the same time the Z4 GT3 did.

edit: It was going to bug me... it was indeed Dinan's S62DP engine, as fitted to the Rolex 24hr winning car of Chip Ganassi.

Last edited:
Awfully sorry to be a pedant but it was a B6, not M6. Alpina didn't use the V10 either.

I know its an Alpina but as far as M6 based Race cars go, THAT was the only real one (to me anyway as apart from the Mazda RX-7 and Pontiac GTO.R, I hated grand-am's old GT rules).

Of course doesn't matter whos badge was on it, it still looks like boat.

That's the only one, with all the new cars this year? I can't wait to see the new Ford GT! So much so that I am buying the whole season of WEC stream. Speaking of coverage, does anyone know if we are going to get screwed by Fox Sports again by them putting most the races on the steam that almost nobody has access to?
Knowing that it's FOX, they will half ass the Rolex 24 with about 8-12 hours of TV coverage and the rest on a stream even though there's nothing on at night. The 12 hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans will also most likely have only 8 or so hours of coverage. The 6 hours of the Glen will most likely be live on TV in full but the rest of the season (the 2-3 hour races) will probably be tape delayed so some nascar RaceHub can air.

Latest Posts

Back