2016 WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 4,512 comments
I know its an Alpina but as far as M6 based Race cars go, THAT was the only real one (to me anyway as apart from the Mazda RX-7 and Pontiac GTO.R, I hated grand-am's old GT rules)

Except it wasn't M6 based, it was B6 based, and the basis for the B6 was the 650i.

Except it wasn't M6 based, it was B6 based, and the basis for the B6 was the 650i.

Ok, the closest thing to a M6 Race car. Happy now, pedantic man? :P

Point still stands though: the Turner car was not even close to a GT3 car whatsoever, that B6 GT3 was.

Now lets row back on topic and away from my dim view on the last gen M6.

Great to see Faux losing some of their power.

Let's hope IMSA knows how to make a good WEC style world feed and not some low budget production like the PWC.

@Northstar Hopefully a move to NBCSN or CBS/CBSSN (they could possibly get more network coverage since CBS has nothing in the spring and summer on the weekends).

Last edited:
Let's hope IMSA knows how to make a good WEC style world feed and not some low budget production.

I think the MotoGP/WEC model is something that will continue growing as pay-tv becomes less and less popular.

There is even one way they could one-up the WEC stream and that is by giving complete control over the footage to the fans. They just have to make it so you can select the traditional stream or choose between various on-board and stationary cameras around the track.

Judging by the ad that still shows the Sebring race broadcasting on FS1 and FS2, that isn't working so far.

I'm hoping by removing much of Fox's presence, this will pressure them to give IMSA a far better deal with coverage. I just hate that it comes at the cost of Bob Varsha being booted since he hardly was the problem with Fox's idiotic network switching strategy (which sadly included the 24 Hours Of Le Mans).

Judging by the ad that still shows the Sebring race broadcasting on FS1 and FS2, that isn't working so far.

I'm hoping by removing much of Fox's presence, this will pressure them to give IMSA a far better deal with coverage. I just hate that it comes at the cost of Bob Varsha being booted since he hardly was the problem with Fox's idiotic network switching strategy (which sadly included the 24 Hours Of Le Mans).
Varsha was basically being strangled by the producers. You could tell that he was being forced to an awkward script.

Last edited:
I have hated Faux sports from the beginning but I fail to see how replacing sleepy Bob with screaming Greg and keeping "motor race" Calvin and locking them in a closet in Charlotte will improve anything. One thing that will happen is there will be no more criticism of any in-race incidents/decisions now that Imsa has taken control and is writing the script. I guess we will have a better idea when the TV schedule is announced.

I'm sorry...has anyone ever listened to the shockingly obnoxious Greg Creamer actually announce a race? I'm genuinely furious because it means I may not be able to actually sit through a race this whole season. He's the worst screaming-over-the-top idiot they have on the staff.

I'll take Calvin Fish and Dorsey Schroeder all day long...but Creamer just about ruined this entire season for me before it's started.

I'm really...really...really pissed off now. :(

I'm sorry...has anyone ever listened to the shockingly obnoxious Greg Creamer actually announce a race?

To be fair, his yelling actually kept me from falling asleep while watching Fox's "Coverage" of IMSA events when he was around (the ultra rare occasion that he was on). Doesn't make him good, but at least it let me "watch" the races without being overly bored. I could put up with him on the IMSA feeds because of the others, but I really didn't care who was on since Fox's coverage could even make the three stooges look like professionals.

Fox has been lackluster overall in its coverage. IMSA still needs a tv contract even if it's FS1 because that's a pull for sponsorship

To be fair, his yelling actually kept me from falling asleep while watching Fox's "Coverage" of IMSA events when he was around (the ultra rare occasion that he was on). Doesn't make him good, but at least it let me "watch" the races without being overly bored. I could put up with him on the IMSA feeds because of the others, but I really didn't care who was on since Fox's coverage could even make the three stooges look like professionals.
A group of 5 year olds could produce better coverage than Fox.

Fox has been lackluster overall in its coverage. IMSA still needs a tv contract even if it's FS1 because that's a pull for sponsorship

Would be good if not only they would stop choking the crap out of the announcers but they wouldn't keep switching the damn races from one network to another. The ratings clearly show that even the most hardcore race fans aren't putting up with the switcheroo.

Would be good if not only they would stop choking the crap out of the announcers but they wouldn't keep switching the damn races from one network to another. The ratings clearly show that even the most hardcore race fans aren't putting up with the switcheroo.
As if there were any ratings to start with. The only time IMSA pulled a decent tv following on a race that's not Daytona or Sebring was when IMSA tape delayed races and they were shown on Fox after the early NFL games (something that should be done every year for every race during football season imo)

^This. The broadcasting switch is annoying, some people don't even have FS2, and they make their announcers sound like blithering idiots.

Oh :lol:

Was thinking the worst.

I'm not holding my breath on this year being any different to be honest.

but I really didn't care who was on since Fox's coverage could even make the three stooges look like professionals.

What do you mean "could"?

020915_NASCAR_FOXTalent_PI_JP.vadapt.620.high.76.jpg

Of course they're not quite what I would call professional.

IMSA still needs a tv contract even if it's FS1 because that's a pull for sponsorship

I don't think this would be that big of a problem considering most teams are either manufacturer backed or have Pro-Am line-ups. All they would have to do is set-up a way to track the amount of viewers of the stream.

I really wish there was an alternative. Fox Sports is just getting old, they need to do the right thing and part ways with motorsports if they can't properly do anything involving it. Unless it's Nascar of course.

I don't think this would be that big of a problem considering most teams are either manufacturer backed or have Pro-Am line-ups. All they would have to do is set-up a way to track the amount of viewers of the stream.
I think a legit, big tv deal would help teams bring actual sponsors to the series, so IMSA wouldn't be dependent on manufacturers and rich, bored guys.

The only fans that watch the stream are fans who would watch the race wherever it was shown. There needs to be both for maximum exposure of the series.

I really wish there was an alternative. Fox Sports is just getting old, they need to do the right thing and part ways with motorsports if they can't properly do anything involving it. Unless it's Nascar of course.

And even there, NBC has managed to embarrass them and it was 10 years since the last time they gave coverage.

I think a legit, big tv deal would help teams bring actual sponsors to the series,

Of course, but the days of big TV deals for racing are in the rear view mirror and probably won't be coming back anytime soon. The monster NASCAR deal that started this year is probably the last one we'll see.

so IMSA wouldn't be dependent on manufacturers and rich, bored guys.

That's just the way all sports car racing is currently.

The only fans that watch the stream are fans who would watch the race wherever it was shown. There needs to be both for maximum exposure of the series.

The thing is there really isn't much for options that would boost the series profile.

CBS/CBS Sports: The only bigger series they have is PWC and they don't do much with it. It doesn't help that CBS Sports is a higher tiered channel for some providers making it a poor fit.

ABC/ESPN: Doesn't seem to want anything to do with racing outside of the Indianapolis 500.

NBC/NBC Sports: This would be the best option as they seem to actually care about racing, but it would be pretty much Speed all over again where sports cars have to play third string to F1 and NASCAR.

MAVTV: They're a growing channel, but they only seem to be interested in Lucas Oil sponsored series and events (which makes sense since they own the channel)

I'm at a loss on who to cheer for in GTD. Its all GT3 now so (apart from Krohn and his old ass filth) I now have an even harder time on who I want to win.

Back