2017 Blancpain GT Endurance Series - Round 1: Monza

Open window with stream 1, open window with stream 2.

Drag window 1 to the left side of your screen.

Drag window 2 to the right side of your screen.

???

Profit.

Blancpain Endurance: The 'best' GT3 drivers in the world.

Double file rolling start coupled with an unpredictable waving of the green flag. Who's idea was this?

Both the Sprint and Endurance races having these kinds of accidents are likely going to spur some changes.

Team bosses don't want to keep writing checks to fix broken cars due to helpless situations caused by other drivers.

The start of the Blancpain race was a total disaster, they held the field so long before dropping the green that I was surprised there wasn't a massive crash before the flew the green flag, in fairness to Bentley, the entire start needed to be reviewed from the exit of Parabolica, once things got going though that was a cracking race, gotta love seeing the only Aston Martin and lone Porsche having a proper crack at the race running solidly in the top 10 for the first stint, and Stefan Ortelli driving the wheels off the Jaguar was incredible. I think the Jaguar might sneak another cheeky podium this year,

That race was bogus, it felt like several of the placings, including 2nd place, was decided in the stewards office rather than out on track.

Few things in motor-sport anger me more than the stewards playing god. It was the reason why I stopped watching Formula E, as well as the reason why I lashed out against AJ's GTP Endurance Series back in 2015. Whilst I can understand why most if not all of the penalties were handed out, it doesn't make it right to give a drive through penalty for things like overly aggressive line defence or overtaking during a yellow flag (just tell them to drop one position to the car behind and get on with it).

Guy Smith did a stupid, it's a very good thing they were ultimately excluded. Lathouras never moved over enough to compromise his line... I could give him the benefit of the doubt that the Lamborghini ended up in his blind spot for a second or two, but that was still reckless and absolutely deserving of the penalty, which Bentley should have swallowed instead of contesting and making fools of themselves. He could have wiped effectively half the field in that incident, luckily most of the drivers were quick to react, else that could have been even uglier.

Back