2017 F1 Constructor technical info/developmentFormula 1 

And the pink mutes the salad tong effect. The boxer's nose is pretty horrific, though.

I see they have a few new sponsors - most notably XBOX on the shark fin.

XBOX isn't on the fin, they have the same sponsor they've had mid way through last year being FXTM their logo is quite similar to the XBOX one.

http://www.forextime.com/eu

l_127.jpg

Last edited:
Just amazing the difference in the cars, almost night and day, the older car looks a bit dorky now.
I've been watching races from the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s, and I'm struck by how primitive the designs look. I was wondering how the sport will evolve over the next twenty years, and if by 2037 we'll be looking back on the 2017 cars and marvelling at how crude they looked by comparison. That side-by-side comparison really highlights how the 2016 cars are already looking crude.

Funny enough I think the 2007 and 2008 cars looked a hell of a lot more futuristic and 'cool' than anything before this year. They looked like spaceships on wheels. The 2009 cars looked like sleeker, smaller versions of the 90s cars with dorky rear wings.

For me, the looks of the car just boil down to what's behind the driver's head. The engine cover and intake inlet are lower, wider and more, well, muscle like in appearance. What really does it for me though is that rear wing structure. The 2017's actually look like a purposeful aerodynamically useful device, instead of 3 quarters of a box tacked on to catch some air.

Honda confirm they have had talks with other teams about using their engines:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128646/honda-confirms-talks-with-other-teams

They don't say what those teams would be using engines for, though. I assume paperweights.

Are they going to pay other teams to use their engines? Because as it is now, that's the only way I see anyone consider using them.

What could they possibly offer that's better than the other engine manufacturers already have? Unless they can somehow show that behind the difficulties they are currently struggling with lies an incredible monster of an engine, I don't see a future for them in F1. It's crunch time for Honda, they have to start delivering positive results and show real progress.

Here's a direct comparison of Hamilton's 2017 lap, and the former quali lap record done by Vettel in 2011.

It's interesting to note that the cornering speed seems to be exactly the same. Have a look at Turns 6, 11&12 and 14, they're within 10kmh of each other. What the speed different comes down to is the straight line speed. Even with DRS everywhere, the Red Bull is a heap of kmh behind the Merc at the end of every straight.

Honda might sell them cheaper than Mercedes. And having more test mules would only help Honda in ironing out the many kinks.

Sauber and Force India maybe? Can't imagine Toro Rosso going a different route then Red Bull.

Force India are the closest to a Mercedes B-Team you can get without it being official. So they wont leave, they get their future talent before the merc team, and more. I could see Williams and Sauber like you said but not FI

Sauber confirm that they've had talks with Honda about a 2018 engine supply

A real sign at how much Sauber have regressed since BMW left them.

They'll add a Honda-chosen driver as a deal sweetener. They've worked out really well in the past for Japanese manufacturers.

Meanwhile, Honda and McLaren apparently managed to kludge a solution to the engine reliability by de-tuning it and tweaking the gearshifts to reduce stress on the engine.

You're in big trouble if you have to detune your engine.

A real sign at how much Sauber have regressed since BMW left them.
BMW did give them the shaft by pulling the plug at the last minute, and Ferrari don't seem to be too interested in doing much with them. If Honda are offering them something worthwhile, they should grab on.

Sauber confirm that they've had talks with Honda about a 2018 engine supply:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128727/sauber-has-held-talks-with-honda-about-2018

Seems mad but makes sense on consideration. Honda are either going to be pushed into Championship Winning status by McLaren or are going to take their bat home. Meanwhile they may put money on the table to get "development" teams whose engine failures might be less noisy (in PR terms at least) than in a McLaren.

I'm curious the change when we hit tracks like CotA and Malaysia, etc. The ones with huge sweeping corners (or the esses in CotA).

Here's a direct comparison of Hamilton's 2017 lap, and the former quali lap record done by Vettel in 2011.

It's interesting to note that the cornering speed seems to be exactly the same. Have a look at Turns 6, 11&12 and 14, they're within 10kmh of each other. What the speed different comes down to is the straight line speed. Even with DRS everywhere, the Red Bull is a heap of kmh behind the Merc at the end of every straight.

Wouldn't the shorter braking distances (relative to speed) be a big piece of the straight line speed gain as well?

But man, that Newey car with the blown diffuser was unbelievably quick and stable. :eek:

Check out turn 1, they both brake at the exact same point, but the Merc is 19km/h faster
Right, that's what I mean. :) The added downforce allows the new cars to brake later than they otherwise would have to while they are carrying more speed. If the 2011 car tried braking at that same point with the same amount of speed, it would never work. And if the 2017 car was going the same speed at that point as the 2011 car, it would be able to brake even later.

And I guess my other point is the massive amount of downforce that the blown diffuser must have been generating in order for the cornering speeds to be about the same. Of course, lighter car is also going to help on that front.

Back