2017 F1 Constructor technical info/developmentFormula 1 

Yeah it was posted in the testing thread, because people can't seem to get around the idea that things move on. Sure someone could post overlay of a repco v8, dfv, 4cylinder BMW/megatron as well.

Well if F1 is consistent at one thing, its being inconsistent. Slicks to grooved back to slicks, back and forth with mid race re-fuelling down the years, even this year we have once again gone back to wider cars wider tires and less restrictive aero regs.

So in a few years once the benefit of pushing engine tech forward has stalled, and in a bid to cut further costs, i wouldn't put it past them to change yet again.

Things do move on, but in F1 it often circles back.

Well if F1 is consistent at one thing, its being inconsistent. Slicks to grooved back to slicks, back and forth with mid race re-fuelling down the years, even this year we have once again gone back to wider cars wider tires and less restrictive aero regs.

So in a few years once the benefit of pushing engine tech forward has stalled, and in a bid to cut further costs, i wouldn't put it past them to change yet again.

Things do move on, but in F1 it often circles back.

F1 moved to grooved tires on safety grounds, that proved not to really make things all that much safer, they went back to slicks.

In race fueling isn't coming back, on safety grounds, which is why it was rid of as well.

This year F1 went back to wider tires because they wanted faster times than ever before, and a hope of improving the racing.

They went to less restrictive aero regs, because of the tires and because it is hoped that the irreversible change done in 2014 will have the gap closed with these 2017 regs. The push for engine tech wont fade, if anything it will keep going until one of two things happens, every thing goes EV and thus F1 will die most likely, or two a new combustion fuel source is viable, or a mixture of these things.

What is for sure, is that the FIA and even more so the manufactures that make F1 what it is, will not develop something that has no benefit to them. The FIA knows this and that is why for the fiftieth time in this thread someone has had to point out the reality of it all, when someone acts like the nostalgia they have is what actually defines something as complex as the sport of F1.

F1 circles back to things, because there is only so much that F1 in general can do to change up the racing and try and break up a dominant team.

That's the thing with cutting edge, sometimes the blade changes shape.

I imagine we'll see the engines change at some point in the future, why wouldn't we? All your hurble-burbling about "it's always changing" doesn't really reflect that the cars do need to be raced (that means they need to be in tracks where they can be contained unless you want another Le Mans), they do need to be safe to operate (too much boundary-pushing in refuelling so it had to go), and to engage manufacturers they have to represent leading brand-able technology.

You might not like the way that Formula racing operates but it's been like that for about 80 years - Formula rules are always subject change to contain the laws of unintended consequences which are an exact function of state-of-the-art engineering.

We all know the reasons for these changes, they are not mysteries. Usually safety concerns, sometimes cost, and often just in interests of "The Show".
Grooved tires to slow the cars down as speeds were getting too high, now new aero regs to make the cars attain what are expected to be record speeds. With time all will change again obviously.

Why do you think re-fuelling made a return after the first hiatus? did re-fuelling suddenly get safe?
If those at the decision table believe it adds to the show, then they change things. Currently they feel DRS adds to "The Show", and when they don't it goes.

Manufacturers will come and go whenever they feel like it, and they'll certainly go sooner if "The Show" suffers, no audience no manufacturers. One day all major motorsport may be fully electric, but there will always be an audience out there that want to hear racing too. You don't begrudge them that do you?

Enjoying the sounds of an obnoxious, loud, singing engine note doesn't automatically mean you cant adapt, can't look forward to the future tech, don't understand state-of-the-art engineering or think Kimi is a hell of a public speaker.

Last edited:
AJ
Google is your friend. But I do agree that they could have communicated the reason for pink better to a new and wider audience.

BWT_Magnesium_Mineraliser_240.jpg

mucke.jpg

I fear your certainty is misplaced. While the corporate top end is blue-out-of-white certain of their products are marketed in pink boxes with pink bits and pieces built in.

View attachment 634740

I had never heard about that company before, so I checked their website but it turns out it wasn't enough. Apologies for my ignorance on the subject then. Ironically, the day after writing that post I drove past a pink lorry on the motorway and it was a BWT one, if it wasn't for Force India I probably would've completely ignored that, so I guess their partnership is already paying off.

So I apologize if I sound uninformed but I guess that's why I'm here. The allegations that have been made against Mercedes about suspension and oil burn are currently just rumours, correct? However, if they're proven to be true, will there be consequences in the form of stripped titles from the team and drivers or likely just a fine?

So I apologize if I sound uninformed but I guess that's why I'm here. The allegations that have been made against Mercedes about suspension and oil burn are currently just rumours, correct? However, if they're proven to be true, will there be consequences in the form of stripped titles from the team and drivers or likely just a fine?

It's more of an issue going forward rather than looking back to 2016 and earlier. Teams find a grey area of the rules either for themselves or seeing someone else do it and then ask for clarification. It isn't a problem running it in testing, but it may be investigated at a race weekend and then a final verdict from the stewards will actually be given. If found to be illegal at that stage, they can be excluded from that race.

If you remember back to the double diffusers, an appeal was lodged against the teams using it so all 3 teams raced with it in the knowledge that it could see them excluded. Of course it was found to be legal, and the race was then on for everyone else to copy the design as quickly as possible.

Oil burn has been unfounded, and just an RBR witch hunt. The Suspension was a inquiry by Ferrari to make sure that what they were doing was legal, and when told that it wasn't asked why the derivative by Merc and RBR was allowed for it seemed to defy the rules. Supposedly it's okay as of now. Merc and RBR don't feel worried after the meetings with he FIA and are still going to Australia with it.

Interestingly, the Force India teamwear is still Orange. Maybe they made the BWT deal too late and had already ordered a shedload of orange shirts?
f1-australian-gp-2017-sergio-perez-sahara-force-india-f1-walks-the-circuit-with-bernadette.jpg

Interestingly, the Force India teamwear is still Orange. Maybe they made the BWT deal too late and had already ordered a shedload of orange shirts?
f1-australian-gp-2017-sergio-perez-sahara-force-india-f1-walks-the-circuit-with-bernadette.jpg

No cause the BWT is right there on the clothing. I probably has to do with this car possibly going back to original colors after this race.

Is that a prediction, or is there a source?
They iron-on and pick-off though, and teams have whole departments just sourcing/maintaining clothing. That's the first I've heard that FI might go back to their original colours... source or guess?

It was rumored, which is why I said possible not something that will actually happen. FI still probably identify themselves team wise in the colors seen. But the important pieces are all pink, I recall the drivers helmets have been changed pink as well. So the things seen on camera to a larger audience.

I didn't like the livery before, but seeing the contrast with the black and shocking pink on the racer, it's not so bad.

Eh? Did they change the livery again? Last I saw, it was pink and white with a grey stripe.

They haven't. It's just that I've finally seen it on something other than my cellphone, and I don't think it's all that bad.

Should go with better contrast on that stripe, though.

force-india-vjm10-new-livery-2017.jpg

It does nothing to break up the area. A flourescent white stripe or a black stripe in place of that would go very well, thank you.

Teams seem to be opting for it for performance reasons.
There is some debate as to the gains it offers. Apparently Adrian Newey swears by it - the coarse surface of the paint (compared to the gloss finish) causes the air passing over it to stick to the surface, giving the teams finer control over the airflow.

Conversely, Ferrari reportedly think it's a crock.

There is some debate as to the gains it offers. Apparently Adrian Newey swears by it - the coarse surface of the paint (compared to the gloss finish) causes the air passing over it to stick to the surface, giving the teams finer control over the airflow.

I don't blame them, I don't think it changes much either, but Newey is far more learned than I am.

Hmm, Adrian Newey or Ferrari. Whom to trust? It's a tough one...

It's great to finally see the front of the FI rather than the way it was before the livery change. The nose is actually an evolution of the last car.

Force-India-Formel-1-GP-Australien-Melbourne-23-Maerz-2017-fotoshowBig-d1b60b8f-1060709.jpg

Latest Posts

Back