2017 Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 952 comments
I'm surprised pm hasn't broken out a picture like this yet to prove 100% unequivocally that Vettel was 100000000% innocent
hamilton-jpg.656726

I think you'll find everyone in this thread has indeed got it totally wrong:

WrsznLQ.png

SEE?!?!?!

Did you even watch the first 5 seconds of the video I posted, or are you just playing dumb here? Vettel comes alongside, he isn't even parallel as his car points slightly to the left. Vettel makes a sudden turn right towards Hamilton. That can only happen if something breaks in his car, or Vettel uses his steering wheel to make the wheels move.

You can try to keep this up all you want, you'll only lose more and more credibility on this site.

He has more to lose?
They didn't punish Bottas because he came off worst in the collision. Bottas' penalty was going a lap down with a puncture and damage, which the stewards probably decided was a large enough penalty in its own right. He only came back to second because of the load of safety cars. One safety car unlapping wouldn't have been enough, but because there were a lot he had a chance to get back.

Which is all the more sad because in reality Kimi came off worse from it, and had to have an entire floor/undertray replaced and was only lucky enough to have it happen due to the red flag. I feel most of the penalties that did or didn't happen were based on this simple notion. Vettel's penalty was supposedly under investigation and would be dealt with post race, however it's amazing once Lewis lost the lead they made the call to punish Seb. And the same with the Kimi and Bottas collision. The fact that Bottas was two laps down to the rest of the field seemed to be enough punishment for a move that didn't work out well. Over time Kimi's damage from the incident showed though and far worse.

He has more to lose?

Which is all the more sad because in reality Kimi came off worse from it, and had to have an entire floor/undertray replaced and was only lucky enough to have it happen due to the red flag. I feel most of the penalties that did or didn't happen were based on this simple notion. Vettel's penalty was supposedly under investigation and would be dealt with post race, however it's amazing once Lewis lost the lead they made the call to punish Seb. And the same with the Kimi and Bottas collision. The fact that Bottas was two laps down to the rest of the field seemed to be enough punishment for a move that didn't work out well. Over time Kimi's damage from the incident showed though and far worse.
The floor replacement was from damage caused by the puncture that he got when the Force India's crashed

Who would be Ferrari's reserve driver for Austria? Giovanazzi?
Vergne or Gutierrez maybe, but I don't know if they've been dropped. I suppose they wouldn't turn down the opportunity though xD. But yeah, Giovinazzi is their 3rd driver this season

What alternative universe do you live in?
He's a really good poster. In any threads that aren't about F1. In F1 threads he's continously throwing all logic out of the window.

It's frankly embarrassing.

As mentioned earlier this HAM-VET / VET-HAM is a developing story.

FIA just announced (7PM CET) that they will start with further investigation/examination

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/355150/fia-to-further-examine-vettel-hamilton-clash/

Yeah, I figured this would develop further in this direction, he (Vettel) deliberately hit another car under safety car conditions clearly visible for anyone (except a certain poster on gtplanet), they can't just let this slide.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why Vettel did it, but it doesn't make it right and he's getting a little bit too hot headed lately which I also think is partly to blame on the Ferrari management something about this Arrivabene person just strikes me the wrong way (could be all the terrible strategy decisions he's making, I dunno).

Can I ask (it was before my time) what was the fall out of Senna taking out Prost?

Was that not worse than what Vettel did?

He's a really good poster. In any threads that aren't about F1. In F1 threads he's continously throwing all logic out of the window.

It's frankly embarrassing.

Yeah, I figured this would develop further in this direction, he (Vettel) deliberately hit another car under safety car conditions clearly visible for anyone (except a certain poster on gtplanet), they can't just let this slide.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why Vettel did it, but it doesn't make it right and he's getting a little bit too hot headed lately which I also think is partly to blame on the Ferrari management something about this Arrivabene person just strikes me the wrong way (could be all the terrible strategy decisions he's making, I dunno).

July 3 the FIA jury will come together and present Vettel his birthday gift.

Can I ask (it was before my time) what was the fall out of Senna taking out Prost?

Pre-Internet. No keyboard warriors, just your friends and a few pints.We used to get over this quickly.

PS - Now that I think about it, Jean Marie Ballestre in the Internet era would be tweeting Trump style, I suppose (frightening thought :lol: )

PPS - Feeling like a dinosaur now :odd:

Breaking News: Sebastian Vettel is scouring this thread to find a suitable defense lawyer

He might want to make sure a certain user has the legal credentials to do it.

Yeah. That dunderheaded move still lost him drive of the day to Stroll... so there is that.

Granted, but should a guy who caused his own struggles be given driver of the day in the first place?

Stroll literally avoided everything and came out greatly for it, hell even when his own team decided that Massa was more important, and left Stroll out longer under that last SC before pitting him.

Stroll definitely was deserved of his driver of the day status, certainly more so than Bottas. Stroll was great all weekend to be fair, outperforming Massa, or at least performing on his level. And in the race, he got his head down, stayed out of trouble, and put in a stellar drive at the end of day.

Exactly and even if Bottas was in the sister Williams and got second, and still did everything in the race he did I'd say he doesn't deserve it. You cause a wreck or cause damage to your car or some mishap, and you have to struggle back to the top, you're not deserving of driver of the day. I don't care how flashy you are about it, you screwed up in the first place to have to do that.

The most similar FIA investigation to this I know of is Stefan Mucke vs Richard Westbrook which was a far more serious incident (lets face it, nobody was ever going to be injured in the Baku crash), Mucke was given just a 10 place grid penalty so I would consider Vettel's penalty to have been served. The FIA should look at their safety car restart procedure now though, having a driver control it causes accidents with the erratic driving/mind games, using a single-file version of the NASCAR restart zone would be a lot safer (by that I'm including the incident earlier in the race where Hamilton caught the safety car, if he had braked to avoid a penalty it would cause a huge crash with so many drivers behind at full speed).

I think you'll find everyone in this thread has indeed got it totally wrong:

WrsznLQ.png

SEE?!?!?!

By the way, for those who don't know the source of @Jimlaad43 's image (I think), and the inspiration for mine comes from this thread on the Autosport boards about the Lewis/Nico incident in Austria last year. Couldn't find it earlier but tracked it down now. Yeah it's from another forum but the linked post (#1381) is imo stuff of legend. One day I hope that I too will be able to use a protractor in armchair F1 collision analysis. :bowdown:

(Also a great reminder that even when F1 threads here fill up with the usual stupid.........we still have it pretty good compared to the rest of the motorsport-related internet. :lol:)

Last edited:
I think giving Vettel a suspended race ban for the rest of the year would be fair. It keeps him racing and the championship fight alive, but any reprimand he gets gives him the ban.
And it gives him the benefit of the doubt. There's a big difference between making an error of judgement in the heat of the moment, and a cynical premeditated move.

He won the title. This was back when F1 drivers were allowed to have personality, and weren't expected to be PR robots whose only defense is to cry on the radio.

The most similar FIA investigation to this I know of is Stefan Mucke vs Richard Westbrook which was a far more serious incident (lets face it, nobody was ever going to be injured in the Baku crash), Mucke was given just a 10 place grid penalty so I would consider Vettel's penalty to have been served. The FIA should look at their safety car restart procedure now though, having a driver control it causes accidents with the erratic driving/mind games, using a single-file version of the NASCAR restart zone would be a lot safer (by that I'm including the incident earlier in the race where Hamilton caught the safety car, if he had braked to avoid a penalty it would cause a huge crash with so many drivers behind at full speed).

100% this.

If Vettel does get a race ban does his replacement driver race under his name in the driver's championship for points.

If Vettel does get a race ban does his replacement driver race under his name in the driver's championship for points.

No, much like how any points Button could have scored would not have gone towards Alonso's count at Monaco.

that he came out worse in the moment should be totally irrelevant.
He caused a collision,he had plenty of space, wasn't squeezed or anything...
The floor replacement was from damage caused by the puncture that he got when the Force India's crashed
you can see in the replays that the contact with Bottas took a BIG chunk of floor off the left side (the puncture was on the rear right)

Back