2017 Formula 1 Gran Premio de MexicoFormula 1 

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
Fresh from Texas the F1 circus rolls up at the sold-out Autodromo Hernandez Rodriguez in Mexico. At the highest altitude of any track this season car setup can be tricky - it's high speed but still requires high downforce.

Hamilton's got his best chance yet of wrapping up the season in his Constructors'-winning Mercedes (Vettel needs to outscore him by 17 points to keep the fight going until Brazil) but the other big talking point is bound to be Verstappen's "surprise" demotion from the podium back in Austin.

Sainz turns out for Renault again after a "perfect" debut last week (his own words) while Gasly and Hartley pilot the STRs. Kvyat has, it seems, had his last F1 race. Still, Kvyat's sackings are always statistically beneficial to Verstappen's race results... :D

Mexico.png

Supposedly, Vettel needs to win this race and Hamilton has to finish 6th or worse to keep the WDC from being determined here. Barring a major racing incident or a mechanical failure knocking Hamilton out though, it seems like kind of a foregone conclusion at this point.

That said, I reckon the most interesting thing to pay attention to from here on out will be whether Sainz can continue posting good results as he gets settled in with Renault. In his first race there he already finished one place behind Palmer's career best of 6th.

Supposedly, Vettel needs to win this race and Hamilton has to finish 6th or worse to keep the WDC from being determined here. Barring a major racing incident or a mechanical failure knocking Hamilton out though, it seems like kind of a foregone conclusion at this point.

That said, I reckon the most interesting thing to pay attention to from here on out will be whether Sainz can continue posting good results as he gets settled in with Renault. In his first race there he already finished one place behind Palmer's career best of 6th.
That was without three of the leaders taking each other out as well. Only one (Ricciardo) dropped out.

Aye, but it's never over 'til it's over. F1 is IF backwards, anything can happen in F1 and it usually does. And so on :)

Last year's race didn't have much entertainment other than the first few laps and the last few laps, with a whole lot of nothing in-between.

I'd like to see another Baku out of this year's Mexican GP, chaos and all everywhere.

I expect Honda leaned on them a bit as well. It's no secret they want as fresh of a start as possible.

Also an interesting coincidence that Hartley was expected to be joining Ganassi in Indycar, which is a Honda team.

Yeah could be, but could also be that they want a quick reliable driver that's more experienced rather than having two young rookies.
I'm a huge fan of Hartley so I'm pretty happy with it to be honest

Here's an interesting stat.

Despite having the highest top speed of all tracks on the calendar last season, Mexico City has the third lowest average speed. That lack of downforce is really amplified!

Gasly, who doesn't know the track, is not driving in FP1... (Sean Gelael have his seat in this first session)

It would make sense to let Hartley step aside as he has at least driven the circuit this season already.

According to Canal + (FP1 commentaries), during US GP, Grosjean, whose one tire sensors were not functional, was repeatedly complaining about the tire state, to a point were Steiner told him "shut up" to the radio.

I used to like Grosjean as a personality but now he's just a whiney bitch. Haas should get a better driver to help develop their car.

According to Canal + (FP1 commentaries), during US GP, Grosjean, whose one tire sensors were not functional, was repeatedly complaining about the tire state, to a point were Steiner told him "shut up" to the radio.
Eeeyup. I'm surprised it took this long for it to happen, to be honest.

Grosjean: “Mate what was that? Seriously. I don’t know if I… I think we should retire the car. I think we should retire the car, no point in going to the end. I can see the whole [censored] left tyre. What are we doing, guys? Seriously.”
Engineer: “Shut up.”
Grosjean: “You’re not paying your life here. The tyre is completely gone. ”
Engineer: “OK dude so we’ll box to retire the car, retire the car. Box now. It’s the last lap anyway, man, but just bring it in easy.”
Grosjean: “I can go the chequered flag if you want, but…”
Engineer: “Yeah we’ll just take the chequer.”
Grosjean: “OK.”

Mexican's fan orgasm: the Mexican driver Alfonso Cells, who was driving Ocon's car during FP1, crashed it.

I do not like Grosjean's radio messages tone either, but that's still the tip of the iceberg of the relation and cooperation with his team. Being emotional when in a race car doesn't mean that you can't do good work overall - but it surely means that the FOM will broadcast your radio messages more than the other drivers. Out of his racing suit, Grosjean seems like being another man.

Last edited:

Start at 2:26 in the video.

Thanks!
is "you're not paying your life here" means something, or did Grosjean wanted to say "you're not playing your life here".

I think it was the latter - meaning to say that Grosjean was playing with his life due to the tyre's "dangerous" condition while the engineer wasn't.

Back