2017 Formula 1 Heineken Chinese Grand PrixFormula 1 

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
The new season of F1 got off to a decent start in Australia with Vettel and Ferrari beating Mercedes to the win. Many people are questioning if it was a one off or if they are a genuine threat to Mercedes' dominance. This weekend we will start to see the answer to that question as we head north to Shanghai and the first proper circuit of the season. Red Bull had a shocker in Melbourne and will want to bounce back, as will Haas and Williams. McLaren should have their weaknesses revealed here so McLaren fans may want to skip this one. There's been talk of a Hamilton v Vettel fight for the title, will we get one? You'll maybe find out at the Chinese Grand Prix.

Shanghai-International-Circuit.jpg

SHANGHAI INTERNATIONAL CIRCUIT
FIRST RACE

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
5.451KM (3.387 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
305.066KM (189.559 Miles)

LAP
RECORD

1:32.238, Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2004

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Super Soft, Soft & Medium

SKY SPORTS CLASSIC RACE SCHEDULE
Tuesday - China 2010
Wednesday - China 2013
Thursday - China 2011
Sunday - China 2009

2016 RESULT

1 Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

2 Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

3 Danil Kvyat (Red Bull-TAG Heuer)

2016 Fastest lap - Nico Hulkenberg (Force India-Mercedes) 1:39.824 (lap 48)

It'll be interesting to see how more powerful DRS is with these wider winged cars. It might be just about perfect as I assume it'll be harder to follow through turns 11, 12 and 13 so the extra speed might be required to catch up before the hairpin.

Jynah???

The track's not that bad,....I reckon Trump might like a piece of that though.

Are we not doing the F1 thread titles in the native language of the host country again this year? Or is that something we do at random, to make searching through these threads 5 years from now easier?

Are we not doing the F1 thread titles in the native language of the host country again this year? Or is that something we do at random, to make searching through these threads 5 years from now easier?
It actually makes it harder tbh. If we have the title in mandarin it's not going to be remotely understandable for the majority of users.

It's okay for European languages where they use the same letters, for the rest it's not going to be practical.

It's the official title of the Grand Prix.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/races/2017/China.html

Where the Latin alphabet is used, the home language is written. Where a different alphabet is used, it reverts to English.
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/races/2017/Hungary.html

With the trouble Monisha and Sauber had last time they had three drivers I really really doubt it (she nearly got jailed in Australia from memory).

True, but Pascal could easily be replaced somehow in the contract, and if not the permanent would be replacing him for next year.

They're willing to give him the time to get ready. Look at Mark Webber, he broke his leg in November of 2008, and only just was able to get in the car 3 months later. Pascal has done laps in the car, and has been assessed to not be ready. It happens, and he'll be the most disappointed person of everyone. If he starts taking the pee with how long he stays out, Sauber may have a case to ask, but Ferrari can just sit back and see a 2018 driver moulding nicely for them. A talented young Italian is pretty much the dream guy for Ferrari if when they fail to get the other top talents on the grid they'll inevitably try to get (Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen)

If he's unfit surely Sauber have good grounds for dismissal?
Officialy they are supporting him and said they didn't understood the criticism around him. Ferrari could push for him but they are renting 2016 engine to Sauber so I doubt there's too much things they can do. If anything they have more influence on Haas imo.

I'm not worried for Giovinazzi tho, there was an article during winter on how F1 was needing an Italian driver again, guess they found it. And before jumping ahead and saying he'll be at Ferrari in 2018, you have to remember that traditionally Ferrari doesn't take rookies, they prefer confirmed drivers.

This should be the race to properly judge if overtaking is dead and we're all doomed........ should be fun

If I remember correctly, with Giovinazzi racing in China, Sauber loses the right to use him in any scheduled FP1 session in the future, as he will be counted as a "full-time" driver for the season.
Can someone confirm it?

If I remember correctly, with Giovinazzi racing in China, Sauber loses the right to use him in any scheduled FP1 session in the future, as he will be counted as a "full-time" driver for the season.
Can someone confirm it?

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use him... all the other teams are able to use their "full-time" drivers in FP1. If push came to shove he could do the same for Ferrari (or any other team). His licence is correct and that's what counts, I think.

He won't be able to do the Young Driver test if he races a third race, nothing wrong with FP1. Nico Hulkenberg did half a season of FP1 appearances in 2011 for Force India after a full season in 2010.

Back