2017 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand PrixFormula 1 

Wow that was scary and dangerous. Watch the replays and you'll see that the cover was already lifted when Bottas drove over it. End of FP2 and extra track control needed for the rest of the weekend.

In FP1 couple of others also went of track whentouching exactly this point. Now we know why?

Wow that was scary and dangerous. Watch the replays and you'll see that the cover was already lifted when Bottas drove over it. End of FP2 and extra track control needed for the rest of the weekend.

In FP1 couple of others also went of track whentouching exactly this point. Now we know why?
No, they were all off at Turn 9, and the reason was the rain and wet patches. The drain cover wasn't a problem until it was lifted by Bottas

Grosjean seems quite sympathetic actually. He's taking the "i was the unlucky one" stance and seems to be acknowledging that the drain cover shouldn't have come up but not blaming anyone with a "It happened, the circuit will make sure it doesn't happen again" kind of mentality.

Imagine they also race motorbikes there.... :nervous:

I suspect (or hope) that it would take the passing aero-bubble of an F1 car to dislodge it, that accident would be unthinkable on a bike.

This whole thing puts all the teams on the back foot, almost no FP1 running and a heavily curtailed FP2 combined with a weather forecast varying between extremes. Could be a good setup for the last Malaysian GP, at least for viewers.

EDIT: Mrs Ten has just watched the crash and observed that Grosjean's right-rear rim came to a rest filled with earth. 'Wouldn't that make a nice planter?', she asks.

Last edited:
it.jpg

source:Guido vd Garde ;)

I suspect (or hope) that it would take the passing aero-bubble of an F1 car to dislodge it, that accident would be unthinkable on a bike.

Good thing then the bike lines around this circuit tend to go nowhere near the kerbs. Mind you, the vast majority of racing lines on bikes at any circuit don't "incorporate" the kerbs.

There was a similar situation that happened before at Monaco in 2010, when the left-rear of Barrichello's Williams clipped a loose drain cover on the run up to Massenet during the race.

Haas F1 has been granted special permission to work on Grosjean's car overnight. Teams during the season cannot work on cars overnight except on 2 occasions of their choosing, but with the unusual circumstances of the incident, the stewards have granted a one time waiver that doesn't count towards the two for Haas. Both cars to be observed overnight and Magnussen's car cannot be worked on at all. Good on them for doing this.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...pecial-dispensation-for-grosjean-repairs.html

Mercedes continue to (seemingly) struggle for pace in FP3. Verstappen and Palmer collide in the final turn, stewards have called them into the headmaster's study.

Not a single car finished the second F4 race, they were run back-to-back and the teams miscalculated the fuel loads for the second race. Unbelievable.

EDIT: All three FP timings added to OP.

Last edited:
Mercedes continue to (seemingly) struggle for pace in FP3. Verstappen and Palmer collide in the final turn, stewards have called them into the headmaster's study.

Not a single car finished the second F4 race, they were run back-to-back and the teams miscalculated the fuel loads for the second race. Unbelievable.

EDIT: All three FP timings added to OP.

Max didn't give Palmer enough space to outbrake himself....

;)

Spy.

Tbh Verstappen will be lucky if he doesn't get a punishment for that.

Difficult one, he left a couple of car widths on the inside, Palmer locked up and wouldn't have hit Verstappen otherwise. Still, Palmer was on a hot lap and Verstappen wasn't... in that case it's Verstappen's job to keep out of the way. With Palmer coming up behind that's evidently much harder than it is with other cars :)

Verstappen stayed on the racing line which is why it might be punishable, Palmer had to go down the inside and had he not locked up Palmer would of basically had to stop to allow Verstappen to cut him off.

The locking up would be pretty common here though if you start to see the driver is going to cut you off you will panic on the brakes, if you have already started braking thinking it wouldn't happen.

In contrast to last week now Max released the throttle and again it's not good ;)

Just tuned in late: Vettel engine swap after FP3 failure?

EDIT: Ouch Vettel back in the pitbox in Q1, turbo? Hopefully fixed soon. Is better for championship and rivalry

Last edited:
No time for Seb. If Lewis doesn't get at least one DNF in the remaining six races, I'd say this Championship should be done.

No time for Seb. If Lewis doesn't get at least one DNF in the remaining six races, I'd say this Championship should be done.

Not over until it's over... and Malaysia itself is not a predictable race.

Good job by le garcon Gasly, hopefully outperforming Sainz will mean we don't ever see Kvyat back in that STR.

EDIT: Verstappen .vs. Palmer in FP3 resulted in No Further Action.

If RBR and Kimi are faster than Lewis, then wouldn't be too bad for Seb. Shame the championship isn't being decided with a dog fight.

Verstappen stayed on the racing line which is why it might be punishable, Palmer had to go down the inside and had he not locked up Palmer would of basically had to stop to allow Verstappen to cut him off.

The locking up would be pretty common here though if you start to see the driver is going to cut you off you will panic on the brakes, if you have already started braking thinking it wouldn't happen.
It wasn't quali though. Max has as much right to the track as Palmer.

didnt expect that from the old man. Well done Kimi

After how on it he's been this weekend, I was hoping the he could continue what he just has in quali. Good on Kimi. Lewis though pulled out time that they never showed in practice and Bottas the same somewhat.

After how on it he's been this weekend, I was hoping the he could continue what he just has in quali. Good on Kimi. Lewis though pulled out time that they never showed in practice and Bottas the same somewhat.

Still a very good lap by Kimi.

Bottas has been awful since the summer break.

Congratulations to Pierre Gasly . Fantastic first outing
If he can keep it clean and in one piece tomorrow I would imagine he'll be full time sooner rather than later ?

Still a very good lap by Kimi.

Obviously, nothing is being taken away with my comment, just that I was hoping he'd continue his pace and even grow off it to challenge for P1. I just think people should give Kimi respect, when he wants it or needs to step up to where Vettel has been taken out, he has and can. People shouldn't be surprised, the guy is still fast, just lacks consistency and sometimes judgement it could be said.

Back