2017 Formula 1 Pirelli Magyar NagydijFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 300 comments
KMAG was on the kerbs and just let his car drift all the way to the outside of the corner, leaving Hülkenberg no choice than driving off the track to avoid a collision. Don't see what your problem is.

It's not the penalty-it's the arbitrary way penalties are applied by the FIA. Similar incidents do not have similar penalties. Was it a punishable offense? Yes. Is it always punished? No. It depends on the team, driver, and the day.

I

Would Verstappen, Hamilton, or Vettel leave room? No.

.....and there is the penalty for KMAG. No suprise.
The 1st part who knows. The 2nd part it's in the rules that if you force a driver off the tracks it's a penalty. I don't know what your expecting.

Hungary often provides something a bit strange, but Hamilton stopping on the line to honour an agreed place-swap despite a HUGE time advantage, and a McLaren-Honda setting the fastest lap is... too weird.
Did anyone heard an ITW from Ricciardo yet?
A what?

knOxGyO.jpg

Inb4 "uh Hamilton sux because he allowed Bottas to pass him"

Amazing stuff happened this race. Nothing much to say besides great driving from Vettel with misaligned steering, Kimi may have been faster than him but we'll never know, great teamwork within Mercedes, and amazing race from Alonso.

I missed the first few laps, can anyone explain, unbiased, what happened between the Red Bulls?
Max tried to overtake Daniel down the inside at the 2nd corner, but he locked up and ended up crashing into Daniel, and therefore ending his race.

As is often the case with Hungary, the track denied us some properly good action.
Vettel's steering issue is the star of this race. If it wasn't for that, I'd be fast asleep by now.

Like I mentioned during the race, this track makes overtaking all but impossible. It's so impossible, a driver whose steering wheel was skewed for most of the race was able to win without having to make any defensive move.

Feels weird having two Merc drivers who like each other.

Why is that? One, I think people want the drama from that team only to perhaps complain. Two what if, and I know this may be shocking, Nico really was an uptight persona that made for clash between him and Lewis. And Bottas is not and just gets on with it...

Last edited:
Why is that? One I think people want the drama from that team only to perhaps complain. Two what if, and I know this may be shocking, Nico really was an uptight persona that made for clash between him and Lewis. And Bottas is not and just gets on with it...

We'll see if there is still that level of admiration and respect when we get to the business end.

The 1st part who knows. The 2nd part it's in the rules that if you force a driver off the tracks it's a penalty. I don't know what your expecting.

I'm expecting a governing body to apply similar penalties for similar infractions. They nitpick some drivers and teams, while turning a blind eye to others. A few weeks ago there was a huge discussion of why Vettel didn't get a race ban for deliberately crashing into Hamilton. A different driver likely would have been given more than a reprimand. Imagine Kvyat doing that! What would the result have been?

I've been stuck on this issue since Canada. I attended the race and watched KMAG fully give a spot back to Vandoorne after running alongside him down the frontstretch after a yellow flag. Stoffel ran wide on exit, and Magnussen went back by. It all happened right in front of me, it was clean, yet KMAG still got slapped with a penalty.

I'll say it for the last time. In my opinion, the FIA doesn't apply penalties equally. It's dependent on the driver, the team, and the day.

And yes, KMAG deserved a penalty. So did Hulk for the lap 1 incident than ended Grosjean's day-he pushed Romain wide, didn't leave room. Turn 1, lap 1-are the rules different? Is it written somewhere?

So Max owned up for the Lap 1 contact. I doubt anything major is going to change at Red Bull.

Edit: Something that I personally find interesting, only 33 points separate Bottas from Vettel.

Last edited:
It's not the penalty-it's the arbitrary way penalties are applied by the FIA. Similar incidents do not have similar penalties. Was it a punishable offense? Yes. Is it always punished? No. It depends on the team, driver, and the day.

Have you got evidence of that? Your immediate jump to "Because it was HAAS?" when someone said he should get a penalty to me says the bias perhaps lies with yourself as a fan of the team. Nobody suggested it was just because he was in the HAAS, it was because he forced another driver off the track. Have you have examples of other drivers doing that and not getting penalised?

And yes, KMAG deserved a penalty. So did Hulk for the lap 1 incident than ended Grosjean's day-he pushed Romain wide, didn't leave room. Turn 1, lap 1-are the rules different? Is it written somewhere?

Yes, they look at incidents differently when it's a crowded pack of car, it makes logical sense to do so when this contact is so much easier to occur.

I've been stuck on this issue since Canada. I attended the race and watched KMAG fully give a spot back to Vandoorne after running alongside him down the frontstretch after a yellow flag. Stoffel ran wide on exit, and Magnussen went back by. It all happened right in front of me, it was clean, yet KMAG still got slapped with a penalty.

This is what they said on that:

“The video evidence clearly showed car 20 [Magnussen] overtook car 2 [Vandoorne],” the stewards noted. “However he did give the position back, therefore the minimum penalty was imposed.”

So yes, he gave it back, but overtaking under VSC is still a major no-no, so they penalised him.

Back