2017 Formula 1 Pirelli Magyar NagydijFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 300 comments
Well it only took to Bahrain 2014 to show there was some underlying issue between them that only got worse over time.
I don't think you can really compare it. Lewis/Nico were always the only two cars fighting for the victory. No other team could compete with Mercedes.
This year you have Ferrari competing with Mercedes for victories. Another thing is that Valtteri was no threat for Lewis at the start of the season. Just now he's slowly becoming one. I wouldn't bet on the relationship to stay like that for the rest of the season.

I'm expecting a governing body to apply similar penalties for similar infractions. They nitpick some drivers and teams, while turning a blind eye to others. A few weeks ago there was a huge discussion of why Vettel didn't get a race ban for deliberately crashing into Hamilton. A different driver likely would have been given more than a reprimand. Imagine Kvyat doing that! What would the result have been?

I've been stuck on this issue since Canada. I attended the race and watched KMAG fully give a spot back to Vandoorne after running alongside him down the frontstretch after a yellow flag. Stoffel ran wide on exit, and Magnussen went back by. It all happened right in front of me, it was clean, yet KMAG still got slapped with a penalty.

I'll say it for the last time. In my opinion, the FIA doesn't apply penalties equally. It's dependent on the driver, the team, and the day.

And yes, KMAG deserved a penalty. So did Hulk for the lap 1 incident than ended Grosjean's day-he pushed Romain wide, didn't leave room. Turn 1, lap 1-are the rules different? Is it written somewhere?

I agree with you on the inconsistencies of the stewards. I don't know if there is some sort of conspiracy against certain teams regarding penalties. What we need is the same team of stewards at each race and not different ones. I think that they should be chosen by someone outside of the FIA.

Oh and yes, they do hand out different penalties to repeat offenders, which makes sense, that is exactly how it works for actual crimes as well. That is why penalties to Kvyat recently were a little harsher, because he keeps doing it.

You can see all penalties from the past three years here:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017-f1-season/statistics/penalties-index/
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016-f1-season/statistics/penalties-index/
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015-f1-season/statistics/penalties-index/

They are generally consistent over the same year. For causing collisions, it's a 10 second penalty or a grid penalty at the next race if you're out of the race yourself. Sometimes it's only 5 if it's a very minor collision, or they're not fully at fault.

I agree that it's wrong when they take the championship positions into account though, as they did with Vettel in Baku and probably Hamilton in Silverstone. That IS wrong.

Good race but nothing special, respect to Hamilton and Mercedes for giving Bottas his podium back, great drive by Alonso, badly needed for McLaren, loved Fernando at the end! :lol:

I don't think you can really compare it. Lewis/Nico were always the only two cars fighting for the victory. No other team could compete with Mercedes.
This year you have Ferrari competing with Mercedes for victories. Another thing is that Valtteri was no threat for Lewis at the start of the season. Just now he's slowly becoming one. I wouldn't bet on the relationship to stay like that for the rest of the season.

While true, if in fact there is suppose to be turbulence between Mercedes drivers then you'd think that the situation today would best display that because of the fact that they have another team to fight. If Lewis is suppose to be a hot head and hard to work with then you'd think he'd make a plea against Bottas passing and lose 3 more point to Vettel. Or asserting his better position in the points to justify keeping the spot. None of this happened so clearly there is a more easier relationship between the two drivers so far.

I recall several incidents with Hamilton and Rosberg where one or the other was forced off track. No penalties given. I'll focus on this for the rest of the year, and see if there are more examples so I can be specific.

It's not a HAAS-only issue. I'm paying attention to them, so that's the stuff I'm focused on.

I understand the stewards would give extra leeway on the first lap for contact and incidents. It comes down to how the decisions are made. In my opinion, they are not consistent in penalty application, regardless of when or where things happen.

If the video evidence was conclusive regarding KMAG, then I was unaware. I thought he was only alongside and not fully past Vandoorne under yellow. I'd love to see the footage that proves he actually went by.

Samus, do you think they would have treated the Vettel/Hamilton incident the same if it were Joylon Palmer or any other struggling driver who pulled the Vettel stunt? You didn't answer.

What about a driver with NO penalties? Kvyat was a bad example, as his litany of incidents precedes him.

I recall several incidents with Hamilton and Rosberg where one or the other was forced off track. No penalties given.

You'll have to give specific examples, because they're not all the same. Being alongside makes the biggest difference.

Rules also change year-on-year, I'm not 100% sure when they added the specific rule about crowding cars off when alongside as KMAG did today.

Samus, do you think they would have treated the Vettel/Hamilton incident the same if it were Joylon Palmer or any other struggling driver who pulled the Vettel stunt? You didn't answer.

I did cover that, I said it wasn't right that they took the championship standings into account when dealing with that.

What about a driver with NO penalties? Kvyat was a bad example, as his litany of incidents precedes him.

What do you mean?

There is one thing in F1 that has really got on my tits over the last few years, some may not be bother by it but it really bugs me. So I have a message to all English speaking commentators and pundits.......

Stop calling him RICARDO dammit! You are not mispronounced his name, you are calling him an entirely different name. And to "Ricardo" himself, stop letting them call you Ricardo dammit!

Had to let that out, it's been bugging me for far too long.

(does "suck my balls mate" require a GTP language warning? :lol:)
lmao.

There is one thing in F1 that has really got on my tits over the last few years, some may not be bother by it but it really bugs me. So I have a message to all English speaking commentators and pundits.......

Stop calling him RICARDO dammit! You are not mispronounced his name, you are calling him an entirely different name. And to "Ricardo" himself, stop letting them call you Ricardo dammit!
When he first arrived in F1, the English-speaking commentators asked him how he pronounced his name. He said it was originally pronounced Richy-ardo, but that no-one could say that right when he was growing up in Australia, so he eventually just settled on being called Rick-ardo and said that's how it should be pronounced for him.

Ricciardo is a latin name, despite him being Australian: is it not because some prononciation are very hard to achieve depending on culture?
During the pregnancy, the baby audition becomes selective based on what he ears, and it's difficult to overcome this initial "setting". I don't hear the difference between Haas and Ass from an Anglo-saxon mouth, and i know i can tease an Anglo-saxon by asking him to repeat the word "feuillage".

Edit: glad, Famine, that you confirmed my theory, for once. But it was an accident since you posted just before me. Maybe next time. :D

When he first arrived in F1, the English-speaking commentators asked him how he pronounced his name. He said it was originally pronounced Richy-ardo, but that no-one could say that right when he was growing up in Australia, so he eventually just settled on being called Rick-ardo and said that's how it should be pronounced for him.
I know his plight. My family pronounces our last name as Louren-ko, but almost everyone else pronounces it as Louren-zo. :lol:

It was worse for Nasr. Croft was calling him Nassa. Granted Nasr isn't very english friendly but it doesn't help when there is another driver called Massa.

Feels weird having two Merc drivers who like each other.

Lewis lost a season or two to Button, but never held any grudge against him.

Nico and Lewis were always competitive with each other... but that competition was very abrasive. Lewis would play mind games, Nico would get rough (on track). Granted, Lewis was not the cleanest driver in the world, but Nico outright risking collisions to get an edge on Lewis did not make things easier (contrasted with the almost balletic back-and-forth passing Lewis and Button would do during their partnership).

Bottas is competitive, like Nico, but non-abrasive, like Button. He did a big one for Lewis by letting him through. No complaints. Just a job. When Lewis couldn't make headway, he did the gentlemanly thing and gave back the place. Yes, Lewis can be an ass, but if you're nice to him, he will actually be nice to you.

When you're as suprised as everyone else with that lap...

IMG_20170730_120059.jpg

Lewis lost a season or two to Button, but never held any grudge against him.

Nico and Lewis were always competitive with each other... but that competition was very abrasive. Lewis would play mind games, Nico would get rough (on track). Granted, Lewis was not the cleanest driver in the world, but Nico outright risking collisions to get an edge on Lewis did not make things easier (contrasted with the almost balletic back-and-forth passing Lewis and Button would do during their partnership).

Bottas is competitive, like Nico, but non-abrasive, like Button. He did a big one for Lewis by letting him through. No complaints. Just a job. When Lewis couldn't make headway, he did the gentlemanly thing and gave back the place. Yes, Lewis can be an ass, but if you're nice to him, he will actually be nice to you.

Funny how that works.

It was worse for Nasr. Croft was calling him Nassa. Granted Nasr isn't very english friendly but it doesn't help when there is another driver called Massa.

Also it took Coulthard about 5 years to learn to pronounce Seb's name as "Fettle" rather than "Vet-tell"

Back