2017 Formula 1 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 338 comments
After the chequered flag, Hulkenburg pulled off at the end of the pit wall and got out, leaving the car there. I helped push it back towards the pitlane.

Quoted in this thread rather than the Trivia thread where it first appeared... what was Hulkenburg's problem, or had he just had enough? :)

Quoted in this thread rather than the Trivia thread where it first appeared... what was Hulkenburg's problem, or had he just had enough? :)
I'm guessing it was the problems he'd been talking about on the radio. The team probably told him to stop as soon as possible. I couldn't ask him as he jumped out the car celebrating and went through the holes in the pit fences before we got there. We just had to push it halfway down the pit lane.

I can't wait for Lewis Hamilton to retire. By then we'll have a whole new breed of cars and crop of drivers. I can't knock him for this as it's his own way of celebrating but I hate it and will be happy when it's gone. Formula 1 drivers should have at least a modicum of self-awareness at the level they're competing at and act accordingly. I'm not saying be a Finn and don't act like anything, but crowd surfing is just something that doesn't fit in with the rest of the sport. It's funny how he goes so out of his way to do things like this when he's doing well but when he's doing bad he has enough decency to hold it together. I know I'm ranting and probably sound like a jerk but that's how I feel.

Lmfao you're being silly and rather pathtic about to. And yeah you defo sound like a jerk. Hamilton is expanding on what an F1 driver is and is taking Formula 1 to new hights even Schumacher couldn't take it.

Hamilton is doing things no other F1 champion had done before. Dont hate congratulate.
CB95kBp.jpg

Oh well. I just don't like the way he celebrates. It almost feels like an insult to the prestige of the sport, but to each their own.

Like when he was on the podium and when the interview is being done with Kimi he's taking out his phone and setting up some live stream crap. I would expect this stuff from the much younger guys if they get a podium but Lewis has been around for awhile now. You could say he's adapting with the times but in my mind there's just no need to. Simply put, get on with the racing.[/QOUTE]

You're being silly and well..rather petty. Just like the rest of those childish haters that have issues with literally everything he does.

Last edited:
No, I'm genuinely curious. It was a problem because there were large puddles of standing water on the surface of the circuit. It's always been an issue because the circuit is in a large catchment area, so it takes a long time for the water level to drop. But on this occasion, there was unseasonably heavy rain. I remember Autosport running a story about the congestion and chaos because people were missing practice and qualifying. There were promises to fix it, but I don't know if anything was done - the British Grand Prix is the only major event that I see at Silverstone (I don't have the patience for the WEC and we don't get coverage of anything else), there hasn't been a seriously wet race since, and there was no follow-up reporting done. I assume the drainage was improved, but I haven't seen any confirmation of it.

Also, if I were to go to a Grand Prix for three days, it would cost me at least a week's pay (blowing my budget for a month) and I would need to take two days off work. If I then couldn't get into the circuit for Friday practice because poor drainage limited access, you'd better believe that I would be pretty damn upset about it. Especially if proper drainage wasn't figured into the design of a major reconfiguration.

Now that I think on it, I suspect the work was done. When Kimi Räikkönen had his massive accident a few years ago, it was because he hit a drainage culvert when rejoining the circuit at Aintree. He was criticised at the time because he hadn't done a walk-around to inspect the circuit; if he had, he would have known about it becauelse the culvert was new. That suggests the work was done.
Yes,silverstone told people to stay away from qualifying as the fields/car parks couldn't cope.
It was all done for the year after, they spent £1000's on drainage. Added some hardcore to field entrances so cars wouldn't get stuck. Lots of the surrounding fields were adapted,metal grids, sand and drains were installed to aid drainage and prevent cars getting stuck. I think its all fine now but we haven't had rain like that since!

It was all done for the year after, they spent £1000's on drainage.
Which is a good thing, but it would have been cheaper and easier to factor that into the initial redesign of the circuit. It's like building a residential subdivision - you figure out the drainage before you build anything.

Which is a good thing, but it would have been cheaper and easier to factor that into the initial redesign of the circuit. It's like building a residential subdivision - you figure out the drainage before you build anything.
Its the surrounding fields, dont think silverstone own them, they just hire them ftom the land owners when there is a big event on like F1 and moto gp. Camp sites and car parks were definitely sorted, dont think much was done to the circuit itself.

I'm guessing it was the problems he'd been talking about on the radio. The team probably told him to stop as soon as possible. I couldn't ask him as he jumped out the car celebrating and went through the holes in the pit fences before we got there. We just had to push it halfway down the pit lane.

This one? Taken by a friend at Silverstone, just saw it on my FB feed and wondered :)

JL.jpg

Hamilton is doing things no other F1 champion had done before.
Really? Why, then, is it that another driver set all of these records first? Hamilton might have won the British Grand Prix five times, but Schumacher won the French Grand Prix eight times.

This is precisely what I mean when I say Hamilton is misrepresented.

Really? Why, then, is it that another driver set all of these records first? Hamilton might have won the British Grand Prix five times, but Schumacher won the French Grand Prix eight times.

He's talking about Hamilton celebrating with his fans, not about the records. Why do you think he posted that picture?

This one? Taken by a friend at Silverstone, just saw it on my FB feed and wondered :)

View attachment 661110
Nah, that's after the swapover. I was the first person to run to the car when it stopped at the top. I started pushing it down the hill, and the rest of the people on my post helped. The people stationed on the pit wall then took over about halfway down as we were getting tired. I was steering the car at the start and handed over to the lady in black overalls by the 27.

FAN INTERACTION.

CB95kBp.jpg

You do also realize Hamilton is only two poles from being the alltime recordholder?

There's definitely something obnoxious going on when the same picture is posted twice.

I smell a fanboy.
I smell a hater. Not you, but someone else who can't stand Hamilton doing anything good or better than anyone else and will reply to you for no reason other than his hate. That's why @AnimaVesta had to post the picture twice. Just read the previous posts and you'll see.

These guys have spent their entire lives dedicated to nothing else but getting to F1, which is by enlarge an impossible task let alone being able to then compete for race wins and titles. They live with constant pressure from fans, the team, sponsors and themselves.

When these guys are at the very top of their game (their game being literally the best racing driver in the world) I think it's fair to allow them to celebrate pretty much however they like (within the law).
In my opinion, allowing them to really just be happy and who they are makes them more human and relatable; like hell yeah if I'd just won a race after driving like a madman for 2 hours straight I might wana drink out of a shoe, or live stream getting some crazy trophy or stop my car on the in-lap to grab a flag from some marshals and wave it at the fans, do donuts etc...

Doing those things, doesn't make driving the fastest cars in the world flat out for 2 hours any easier, it doesn't take anything away from the on-track racing and doesn't make them less of a person.

Apologies if I've rambled on, but I see a lot of the same comments pretty much where ever I see any discussion over this last race and I'm just disappointed that more people can't enjoy what a great thing F1 is at the moment.

And let's remember most of those records were created under vastly similar circumstances (a top tier team gathered around an excellent driver and equipped with the best of what they could create). Heck Schumacher also had an entire tire company at his behest (well, Ferrari's). :D

The biggest advantage is not even the reliability but the fact that we have 20-21 races per season. Hell, Max Verstappen is on his what 45-50th race already?

Well he has had practically no competition for the past 3 years and 60+ races thanks to his car, so that's not too surprising.

He started winning pole positions in 2007. In seven of the ten complete seasons where he's won pole positions he hasn't won the WDC. In a partly-different seven of them he wasn't even with the Constructor winning team. It turns out that he's taken 31 of his current 67 poles in the V8 era (a period of utter RBR dominance). In the last three years he's won 2 WDCs of three.

I'd say that approaching the record at this point in his career isn't all down to luck or dominance.

Whats your opinion of Dan getting people to drink champagne from his shoe on the podium. Does that denigrate the prestige of the sport?

To a person making a consistent argument yes, to a person that simply dislikes Hamilton but can't bother to actually say so because people will come at them and ask for rational conversation...nope.

Hamilton has won a race in every season he's raced in. That's impressive no matter what you say.

It also has to be said that in every one of those seasons, with the exception of 2009, his teammate has won races too. That exception was Kovalainen driving a fuel tanker in the qualifying sessions and as a result getting stuck in traffic - and did anyone ever rate him that highly to begin with? That says quite a bit about the cars, he's always had a top tier car.

And about him now being equal to Clark in poles and wins at the British GP... a very good achievement, yes, but not quite the equal. The trick being that Clark only had eight tries, it took Hamilton eleven to get there.

I don't see why somebody enjoying their success that they've worked hard for with fans that want him to come and see them is a reason to hate a person. It's just fanhaters being obnoxious as usual.

It's Lewis Hamilton. There's a large subset of the F1 viewership to whom he can do no right, and should be punished for (apparently) everything.

It's Lewis Hamilton. There's a large subset of the F1 viewership to whom he can do no right, and should be punished for (apparently) everything.
IDK, his attitude can throw some people off as arrogant sometimes though. But there is always going to be haters and fans of any driver so big deal.

IDK, his attitude can throw some people off as arrogant sometimes though.

The same attitude has been evident in Rosberg Sr, Rosberg Jr, Villeneuve Jr, Hill Sr, Hill Jr, Senna, Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonnen and Hakkinnenenen.

All the more reason for Jenson Button (Driver Champion) to make an appearance in the Statistical Anomalies thread :)

Well he has had practically no competition for the past 3 years and 60+ races thanks to his car, so that's not too surprising.

So? What about Schumacher? The alledged traction control of the Jordans, the unlimited budgets, custom tyres, unlimited testing and engines, a number two driver that would yield at a flcik of a finger...

You call Rosberg, the only man to beat the 'GOAT' Schumacher 3 years straight in races, qualifying and points and eventually becoming a wdc easy competition? What rock do you live under? I need what you're smoking bro.

Unlike Vettel who only has hasbeens as teammates way past their prime Hamilton has faced 3 World Champions as teammates. Two of those reigning champions and beat them both after their championship season. So in their prime.

He has pole positions and racewins in every season every season he competed.

During his time at Mclaren the team had 30 pole positions. He got 26 of them while his 3 teammates took a staggering 4 combined. Let that sink in..

He deserved cars like that after struggling to get titles at Mclaren. He should've won in 2007 but we all know what happened in Brazil.. he could've took one in 2012 but Mclaren made short work of that titlebid with their horrible operational skill and reliability.

Back