2017 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand PrixFormula 1 

aEBVmBN_460s.jpg

Tell you one thing: seeing the race in the wet was pretty surreal.

I've seen it a couple of times in various career mode playthroughs on YouTube, but you wouldn't think it would happen in reality because it's just outlandish enough to not be a possibility.

Now it's happened, I'm expecting a night race round Monaco in the future. :D

Tell you one thing: seeing the race in the wet was pretty surreal.

I've seen it a couple of times in various career mode playthroughs on YouTube, but you wouldn't think it would happen in reality because it's just outlandish enough to not be a possibility.

Now it's happened, I'm expecting a night race round Monaco in the future. :D

#RaindanceForAbuDhabiGP

(One can dream :P)

Well the championship 'battle' lost all its drama after lap 1, would be surprised if Ferrari somehow turn it around now.

But like Monza, weather left-overs and mid-field contenders helped make up for it. Sainz, Magnussen & Massa battling, now to just wait another 2 weeks...

That doesn't stop an F1 driver from being concerned about the environment, but the fact is that doing their job is around 30 times worse for the environment than any normal person. A vegan diet does cut the CO2 emissions, but by less than 1% - so instead of 2800% worse, it's 2799% worse (or 2799.98%, switching from pescatarian diet to vegan) - and there are so many more significant ways to cut your personal CO2 emissions if you produce as much as 28 ordinary people and you're concerned about it.

Hamilton isn't driving an F1 car for 265 days a year (race, practice, test days, exhibitions) and will either drive or be driven on many of those days. He owns a selection of AMGs, a Zonda, and voiced a desire during the Project ONE launch to have the first one. A Zonda might do 20mpg (Imp), or 325g/km CO2, which means that if he drives it 9km/5.5mi, he'll produce as much CO2 as an entire vegan daily diet. He has an AMG GT R, which does 25mpg. That'll go 11km/6.9mi before he hits 2.9kg CO2. I don't know what the Project ONE will do, but I'm guessing 10mpg will be optimistic - 4.4km/2.8mi. If he drives 6,000 miles a year in the most fuel efficient car I can find for him, he'll emit 2.5 tonnes of CO2. A Mercedes-Benz E220d is rated at 72mpg combined. If he drove that 6,000 miles a year, he'll emit 1 tonne of CO2. That would save three times as much as his switch from pescatarian to vegan. I know he likes fast cars, but environment. And he'd still be showing up on-brand.

The problem is without all the numbers you can't really make these sort of arguments. For example I know how McLaren offset their carbon emissions, these measures are largely unreported, meaning you cannot factor them in. I don't know what Mercedes or any of the other teams do but I'd imagine it would be in a similar vein.

I don't totally disagree with you I would just be careful banding numbers around, for example no one here knows of any measures Hamilton or any F1 driver might take to offset their emissions?

I suspect he does nothing but I don't know so I wouldn't argue either way :)

Decent race, plenty going on, some great luck for Hamilton but I think he had to work for the win somewhat as he had to contend with the chaos at the start, a wet start and three safety cars.

As for the start, my opinion is that both Ferrari's moved over into Verstappen leaving him with nowhere to go so I believe it was both Vettel and Raikkonen's fault and I don't think it was a racing incident, that's how it looked to me. the tweet from Ferrari is bewildering and a faceplam moment.

Well done to Sainz and Palmer. 👍

For example I know how McLaren offset their carbon emissions, these measures are largely unreported, meaning you cannot factor them in.
I do too - I was there a month ago and had the tour :D - but bear in mind that most of the emissions related to the team are not McLaren's, rather DHL's, at least on fly-aways.

McLaren in particular and F1 as a whole are into carbon neutrality and CO2 credits. It's a bit of a con, to be honest - the idea of CO2 credits is that companies and nations are allowed to emit carbon dioxide, and those that don't can sell the right to emit it to another company that does. Sometimes it's paired with reduction of carbon footprint (companies that reduce theirs can sell their allowance on), or with investment in renewable schemes like hydroelectric power and forests, or community schemes like schools and education - but the carbon dioxide is still emitted!

And the planes put it right into the atmosphere at 30,000ft+, which is much, much worse.

I don't totally disagree with you I would just be careful banding numbers around, for example no one here knows of any measures Hamilton or any F1 driver might take to offset their emissions?

I suspect he does nothing but I don't know so I wouldn't argue either way :)
Well, we know he's offsetting 350kg of his emissions by not eating fish now :lol:

One more thing I forgot to add.

I have no idea how the fact that Lewis Hamilton is now vegan is relevant to this race, no idea whatsoever....
He mentioned it in the pre-race presser on Thursday.

I do too - I was there a month ago and had the tour :D - but bear in mind that most of the emissions related to the team are not McLaren's, rather DHL's, at least on fly-aways.

McLaren in particular and F1 as a whole are into carbon neutrality and CO2 credits. It's a bit of a con, to be honest - the idea of CO2 credits is that companies and nations are allowed to emit carbon dioxide, and those that don't can sell the right to emit it to another company that does. Sometimes it's paired with reduction of carbon footprint (companies that reduce theirs can sell their allowance on), or with investment in renewable schemes like hydroelectric power and forests, or community schemes like schools and education - but the carbon dioxide is still emitted!

And the planes put it right into the atmosphere at 30,000ft+, which is much, much worse.

Well, we know he's offsetting 350kg of his emissions by not eating fish now :lol:

Brilliant response, just to be clear I wasn't being snarky or anything I was just fishing for your full opinion :D And I completely agree with you on all fronts, let's face it if F1 cared about emissions China and Singapore wouldn't be at opposite ends of the calendar

Still, I can see the argument that Hamilton's opinions are over publicised but no more than most celebrities and that's what he is, whereas not all other F1 drivers are :)

Still it was a good race today!

One more thing I forgot to add.

I have no idea how the fact that Lewis Hamilton is now vegan is relevant to this race, no idea whatsoever....
Easy. He avoided being the meat in the Ferrari sandwich.

Joking aside, you can't deny that a standing start at a street circuit at night in the wet was a recipe for trouble. Considering Ferrari had the advantage over Mercedes, I would've thought both Kimi and Vettel would've been told to be on the safe side on the start. Instead, both went with aggressive moves and the circumstances happen to fall where it backfired in a disastrous way. I will say that Kimi had some room left to his left and yet persisted in being tucked in too close to Verstappen. He gave himself no margin for error.

You say the word "more" but I honestly feel if it was able to be quantified it wouldn't be that much. I'm not saying it's negligible but it's certainly not as big of a thing as commentators make it out to be. I think they're doing better than all the teams on open tracks because they are also better with downforce and simply have more power. Both proven facts.

I wonder why Red Bull hasn't really made up that difference today though.

And about my retirement comment, we have now passed that with Hulkenberg making 8 retirements. Wow...

That's not how it works, the open tracks like Spa, Monza, China even aren't downforce necessary tracks for one. So it's not about having better downforce but better balance and power. As mentioned the Mercedes has better balance, and thus when it puts the power on, it can apply it quicker and better, but also has slightly more due to better unit.

Downforce on these tracks is minimal because it would generate more drag, and thus cause a need for more power that they may not have, or would not want to have to use for various reasons. In a place like Monza you don't need Russian gp levels of downforce. So being "better with downforce" would be a negative and not line up with what you're saying.

As for RBR they could have had issue with a less race oriented balanced set up believing they had enough to lock out the front row and lead from there, or a set up that wasn't helpful to varying conditions.

It's the Aero efficiency that makes some cars better then the rest in ''downforce'', getting that downforce with as minimal drag offset as possible, they can all slap on a heap of down-force but the ones who can minimise the drag will always be miles faster.

Even applies to the fast tracks with lower downforce, but of course there is the engine element as well, and wheel base etc etc.

But all of that is useless if you haven't set your car up properly and sorted the balance, but generally if you have the most Aero efficient car you will be a front running package(as long as your engine isn't Honda).

You say the word "more" but I honestly feel if it was able to be quantified it wouldn't be that much. I'm not saying it's negligible but it's certainly not as big of a thing as commentators make it out to be.

The commentators I've most recently heard talking about the subtle difference that a couple of inches make (fnarr) are Damon Hill, Martin Brundle and David Coulthard. Between them they have a WSC and a WDC and tens of thousands of miles of F1 experience, often as team-mates to the greatest drivers in F1 history. You must forgive me if I prefer to accept their judgement of the effect of wheelbase on turning/stabilising a 200mph sportscar at F1 tolerances over yours.

All 3 OBCs at once.

Interesting to note that Vettel and Hamilton started off in 2nd gear while Kimi, Max and Alonso stayed with 1st. I also wonder how long that "RPM Good" message has been displaying on Hamilton's wheel.

Back